• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

I’ve been drawing for almost all my life (not necessarily tattoo designs). When I was 14, I wanted my first tattoo, when I was 18, I finally got the tattoo I wanted. Since I was 16, I’ve wanted to be a professional tattoo artist. I’ve designed a few tattoos that have gone onto bodies and many other designs that I hope people will want on their bodies.

I’m 19 and believe that if your body is indeed a temple, decorate it how you please.

So my questions are: what should I do to get an apprenticeship? What should I do to promote my art? How much should I charge for my designs? If I got a crappy tattoo machine to practice, What should I practice on?

I’ll probably have more questions later XP

Welcome to Forum.
      Be sure to check out the Book, Basic Fundamentals of Modern Tattoo.
      https://www.teachmetotattoo.com/BFMT_purchase
      You can find it there.
      Will answer a TON of newbie questions and get you on your way,
      goes in depth on what gear to buy – and what to practice on –
      Provides a road map to getting and completing a proper tattoo apprenticeship!

Best of luck – feel free to ask questions.

I will try ad get that book, reading the chapter titles pretty much had all my questions there XP lol.

what did you personally practice tattooing on before tattooing on human flesh? I think i remember someone telling me about practicing on ham skin or leather. Your thoughts?

I personally practiced on some “Chris” and some “Kyle”
      haha
      and Chris and Kyle both have some pretty fucked up tattoos that had to be covered up…
      Then I stopped tattooing and learned in a studio.
      I don’t think they had fake skin when i first started tattooing..
      i did a bunch of oranges –
      and then i moved onto my own thighs –
      your own thigh is easy to practice on because you can sit down and they are right there – you know?
      your upper leg (i think that is called thigh) anyways…
      its a hard thing to “practice” tattooing – it really is…
      cause it is forever…
      i have heard that pig skin is pretty good- but never tried it.

Alright.. oranges.. this I shall try when I buy the machine form my uncle hahaha
      oranges ARE cheaper than pigs

And how much should I charge for designs as a long time designer but first time distributer? An old tattoo artist told me it could range from 50$-500$ depending on how desperate they were

And how much should I charge for designs as a long time designer but first time distributer? An old tattoo artist told me it could range from 50$-500$ depending on how desperate they were

umm… charge?
      You mean you are going to charge the oranges?

If you mean “how much to charge people” – You should think about this…
      You are asking “what should I practice on” then you are asking “how much should I charge?”
      If you are talking about people – you need to really wake up.

You should know how much a tattoo is – because you should have a ton of tattoos. Once you have a ton of tattoos, then you should have a pretty good idea of how much to charge. You should not be charging people money to give them tattoos until you have done your apprenticeship.

You should really only tattoo fruit for a while… then bring your fruit to a tattoo studio and learn from a reputible artist.
      The fact that you are the first person who has ever asked on this forum “how much to charge” is very frightening to me… you don’t want to get into this industry to make a ton of money.

WHEN you finally are READY to tattoo people- then you will probably want to tattoo for free – because you will not be doing very good tattoos at first.
      Best to tattoo friends WHEN you are FINALLY ready to tattoo humans – which after what you have told me (you dont own a tattoo machine) this should be in a few years! haha

If you mean CHARGE for the designs (which are called FLASH) then you should check out how much FLASH costs. Tattoo Flash comes in form of sheets. Usually 11 x 17 or similar size. They are typically printed by offset printing process in 200 – 300dpi – You need to create high res images and take them to a printing company to have them professionally reproduced – or you can work with Kinkos.
      You can sell them usually in sets for $50 – $100 per set, and the sets are usually 3 – 5 sheets.

Hope this help!

Best of Luck –
      Read the Book: Basic Fundamentals of Modern Tattoo – https://www.teachmetotattoo.com

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The forum ‘So Introduce Yourself!’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan