http://imageshack.us/a/img829/4552/gbx9.jpg
      Fire/Tribal

http://imageshack.us/a/img189/6724/gxba.jpg
      Celtic, Feminine

http://imageshack.us/a/img827/7770/c3pv.jpg
      Railroad Spike

http://imageshack.us/a/img11/9999/i2w2.jpg
      Celtic, Masculine

All of these I think, need a little tweaking. I tried doing them all in just sharpie and pen, no pencil everything done was done permanently

Infamous
      Participant
      JDawnPearls

I like the idea of using pen. I finally bought some more sharpie pens today (lost what I had … or kids …. who knows..).. script isn’t always easy. I think I will try that as well.

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

looking good dude
      the one thing you want to watch out for when finalizing your stuff if to make sure you draw it like a tattoo. do one long fluid line rather than those scratchy sketch lines. other than that it all looks good dude

Infamous
      Participant

Good point, I am so used to doing it that way, it sometimes slips my mind. I’ll work on it, I realized I was doing it off and on when I was doing these too, some places look a lot smoother than others.
      Thanks

And yeah, I thought I should use pen so that it would be more like tattooing. If I made a mistake I would have to fix it somehow, or incorporate it into the piece. Script doesn’t really work out that way though

Lennart82
      Participant

First up I didnt read your second post, only opend the images. And I was like… Wait a minutte, this isent chinese symbols…
      But then Elvish…. Ahhhh 8-)
      Looks good, were you in a hurry doing these? Your lines a bit wobbely. ;)

Infamous
      Participant

I was a bit yeah, I don’t know why. I think it was just that there were a lot of them and I was getting tired of doing it. Also, most of them are just with black sharpie and nothing else, and another their kind of supposed to look handwritten so its not really a big deal on those lol

Lennart82
      Participant

Still a great idea of doing elvis writing :)

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

@Infamous wrote:

Good point, I am so used to doing it that way, it sometimes slips my mind. I’ll work on it, I realized I was doing it off and on when I was doing these too, some places look a lot smoother than others.
      Thanks

And yeah, I thought I should use pen so that it would be more like tattooing. If I made a mistake I would have to fix it somehow, or incorporate it into the piece. Script doesn’t really work out that way though

i was the same way. I was a sketch artist before a tattoo artist. I made scratchy sketch lines all the time. It was a difficult habit to break.

Infamous
      Participant

It’s definitely something I’ll have to obliterate from my artwork. Its really hard when you’ve been drawing one way since you were a child lol and you learn that is way way easier to make a good line if it is scratched but its the exact opposite in the tattoo world. :shock:

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

yeah thats how I drew for 21 years haha. Then I started tattooing lmao

Infamous
      Participant

Yup me too exactly lol I am 22 now and only a few months into the tattoo world. I think I started when I was still 21? Maybe… Yeah definitely lol. Had to think about it

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

yeah i started tattooing three years ago :3
      ill be 24 in two weeks.

Infamous
      Participant

Awesome! Its nice to see where I could be in just a few short years :)

Lennart82
      Participant

Yeah NO scrathcing in the tattoo business :lol:

You guys dont even want to know when I first did my portrait ;) And if I told you, you would never believe me anyways ;)

Infamous
      Participant

I’m trying so hard to get over it! lol

You should show me, it would make me feel better about myself ;)

Here is some Clockwork, there is so much detail in this I’m afraid to color it. I spent like two hours drawing this thing.
      http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/3390/jsuj.jpg

And a Caduceus. Looking back at it I might have chosen some different colors on the snakes and the ornament at the top of the staff.
      http://imageshack.us/a/img577/6830/0nhi.jpg

Sketch of the Deathly Hallows
      http://imageshack.us/a/img855/1255/99qi.jpg

Chemical Dopamine. You can see pencil markings underneath my pen. Gonna have to do something about that..
      http://imageshack.us/a/img202/9273/vzrv.jpg

Biohazard Symbol
      http://imageshack.us/a/img844/3180/jvba.jpg

Think Before You Ink with Th.In.K. Elements
      http://imageshack.us/a/img844/914/6sd6.jpg

Space Invaders
      http://imageshack.us/a/img542/805/70u7.jpg

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

Much much better duder! :3
      I’ll see if I can get a video up for you soon :3

Infamous
      Participant

I like videos!

JDawnPearls

I have always been drawing, and for many many many years I have sold custom designs (only by request, never advertised) for tattoos. Its funny, because I’ve always been a stickler for clean lines – (I used to teach art in Germany… did that for about 3 years). It’s hard to imagine to took me SO FRIGGIN LONG to pursue tattoos for real !!!!

Why did I start this rant? I have no idea.

But Ramen – glad you started early, and I’ll be seeing you! Hahahaha

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

You better be seeing me Jeez!

Infamous
      Participant

It’s amazing how much better something looks if the lines are free of sketch marks… I had no idea

Infamous
      Participant

https://sphotos-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1240325_10151673684464475_1938735649_n.jpg
      My first go at Biomech, I feel like it needs a little more something. Also, not a huge fan of the way the colors turned out. Stupid sharpies don’t have natural looking colors

Infamous
      Participant
      Lennart82
      Participant

Like the printboard piece. :D Great idea :D

But the biomech, I dont know, if its the colours or what, but it dosent speak to me… hahahahah (Ofcourse not, its paper… Idiot…)
      Or perhaps its my urge to black/grey that blinds me… ;)

Infamous
      Participant

I didn’t like the color on it much myself.. Anyways the client decided on a combination of these two. With the Robotic type arm and a synthetic muscle in the background. It’ll look just like a human muscle but its going to be a reddish-purple to look inhuman.

Lennart82
      Participant

Good idea, combining them both. Looking forwards to see it finished :D

Infamous
      Participant

Me too! I actually get to do it tomorrow :P I will post pics asap.

Lennart82
      Participant

Awesome :D

Theres still a little more then a month, before I get to do my BioMech :(

Infamous
      Participant

Get to do the BioMech yet?

I decided to try my hand at portraits/zombies. This is what happened.

https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1236306_10151736647499475_2112834173_n.jpg

Zombie President Theodore Roosevelt.

Want to add color, but I think I’m going to wait until I get something better than my sharpies, pretty sure they wouldn’t do it justice. They’ve let me down before.

Lennart82
      Participant

Coming up next thursday… Biomech TIME :D

Uhhh portrait time as well hahahah.
      Now I have only seen Theodore Roosevelt in Night at the Museum ;)
      That top of the nose….?

This one really needs some colouring. ;)

Infamous
      Participant

The top of the nose might look weird because its not the nose you’re seeing but it looks like it is.

There’s a bridge for the glasses.

Or did you mean something else?

Lennart82
      Participant

Ahhhhhhhh sorry, my bad hahahahha… Never mind hehhehe

Infamous
      Participant

Okay good :D lol glad it wasn’t something I wasn’t seeing haha

edit:
      Any more tips on how to do a portrait? This was my first attempt at one ever really, or first time I really tried I should say

Lennart82
      Participant

Advices… Yub, here it comes :D

When doing portraits, there are a million ways you can set about it. One thing I have seen again and again. Are the ones, first drawing an oval shape, then line it with a cross in the middle. And then they start drawing from that point.

Now this is a sound advice, if your doing a face out of your head. But the face shape is very different from people to people. Some eyes are higher, other lower. and so on.

For making a realistic portrait (and this is how I do it) I tend to break the face down in portions. Shapes, light and shadow. There could be an oval shape on the forehead or on the cheeks. A round shape on the chin and so on. I never focus on the whole face, but fractions of it.

Stay away from hard lines around the face. The only place I use hard lines are the eyes, and the inside lip. (difficult to explain) Not the line that’s connected to the face, but the lines that are connected to the teeth’s.
      Last thing I do, and I dont know how to tell you this, but I draw what I see….. :?

Christa

i struggle with the same things you do infamous, im a fast worker and if it looks ok to me in 15 minutes so be it! but with tattoos, youre going to be sitting there for HOURS on only PART of a piece….you have to learn to take the time it takes to make it look perfect. your drawings have improved from that baby picture you posted lol keep at it! maybe move to a bic pen…even for shading because that is very close to how you will tattoo. a well known and respected artist in my area gave me this tip, to practice with the bic and then move to ink and brush. stay away from sharpies honestly it makes your drawings look cheap and like you really didnt care what you were doing. also maybe try pictures instead of scanning because my scanner puts the drawing BAM in your face like youre looking at it through a microscope and thats not how you see it in real life haha

anyway my husband gave me this tip and its a good one…always remember it:

You can always improve, there’s always more to learn, you’re never as good as you think you are.

my husband is brilliant lol and keeping this in mind will keep you humble instead of all swollen up and a horror to be around.

=)
      ~Christa

Infamous
      Participant

Well, I wouldn’t say I’m struggling, honestly. I just keep trying to push my comfort zone. I don’t think I’ve posted anything in here that I was working on before I started tattooing. And I’ve never in my life attempted to do a portrait, that’s the main reason why I made Teddy a zombie, so I could get away with the “cartoonish” look

Thanks for the advice though :) always helpful.

Maybe I will redraw some of my old stuff to demonstrate, that was months ago after all :)

I agree with the sharpie thing, they’ve never been able to give me the color I want, and I’m at the mercy of a pretty miniscule color pallet. Pretty good for practicing traditional style designs though.

Infamous
      Participant

https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/q72/1384045_10151784573419475_1539089749_n.jpg

Relatively recent work. Decided to have some more fun with the sharpies. It is the sigil of Marbas, the flowers are meant to be Hellebore, although with the coloring I used they look a lot like Tiger Lilies. The roots coming down are meant to resemble a beard, thought about adding flames in the background but last time I tried that with sharpies it was terrible.

Lennart82
      Participant

Looks interesting. I like the idea that you turned the roots into a kind of beard.

But unfornunately you just triggered my curiuosity here… :P

Who or what is Marbas? :ugeek:

Infamous
      Participant

Marbas aka Barbas is a Goetic Demon, he is depicted as a man with the head of a lion and a beard. He is quite snarky, and is said to know all things about that which is hidden or lost.

To summon him you need his sigil, to burn hellebore, and to say some Goetic chant which I do not know.

You probably also need to be high as a kite too.

This design was made for a client, whose nickname is Barbas. I had to research it as much as I could before agreeing to tattoo it. There wasn’t much to find. Also the client just wanted the sigil and the additions I made were a suggestion.

And, don’t know when I’ll get to tattoo it, or if he’ll want it plain.

Lennart82
      Participant

Ahhhhhh Barbas… Rings a bell. Some genious demon of sorts, in the art of Science and Mechanics. Uhm… Sounds strange when I just wrote this..
      Need to find my demon book to be certain… I’ll write later of what I can find ;)

Infamous
      Participant

That would be most helpful, I like to know as much as possible about a subject when I’m tattooing it

Lennart82
      Participant

Uhh, never wrote back :P

Well, what I have learned. My memory wasent all that off. He.. The demon, is a wiz in mechanics.
      He isent an evil demon in anyway. Of what I can understand, he knows alot. And when asked to tell the truth about something, he will always answer truthfully.

He is supportedly to be a headmaster of somesorts. A school or something. That didnt make much sence.

He has a neat little feature, he can shapeshift humans. Turn them into any thing. But its up to the demon, if he wants to change you back again.

For what I have learned, he symbols great mechanical knowledge and wisedom. So your client is going to get smarter ;P

Infamous
      Participant

Makes sense, I seem to recall reading something about the shape-shifting… But I had forgotten about it. I would’ve never agreed to do it if I thought he was at all evil but from what I’ve read I’m pretty sure it would be fine

Lennart82
      Participant

Its not an evil thing though. But hey, Demonology can be quite tricky ;)

Infamous
      Participant

And of course, I know little to nothing regarding demonology lol

Lennart82
      Participant

I tend to apply as much as possible of strange knowledge, and basically something people never knew or needed to know. And could live their whole life really care less about ;)
      Demonology being one of it.

Viewing 45 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan