• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Porkchop

Id like to hear what you have to say and see what works for you. I know for working with color the type of ink you use is key, but what techniques do you find help blend? do you add anything to your ink?
      Grey shading, the soft powder grey effect is a hit and miss. I have more of a traditional style but want to start using softer shading. How do you get the lighter shades?

* note * I do NOT try new techs on my clients, that’s what pig pork bellies from the meet market are for.

From Basic Fundamentals of Modern Tattoo (Available on Amazon.com or on https://www.teachmetotattoo.com – Check it out – we are re-doing the whole site!):

There are two basic types of color tattoo styles, solid and layered.
      Each time you start a color piece it is important to first lay
      down a solid black and grey foundation. The black and grey
      foundation will help build the shades and tones for the color.
      Since the color is transparent it can be applied directly on top of
      the black and grey areas. This is why it is extremely important
      to be self –aware when you are shading. You should take care
      not to damage the skin too much while doing layers of grey or
      you will be unable to go back over those areas with color. If you
      are trying to go for a natural or shaded gradient color style you
      will have to use layers. If you are looking for a bold and solid
      color, more of a coloring book style, it is still good practice to lay
      down some black and grey before putting the color on top, but
      for more solid color you should work in smaller circles and use
      a slightly harder hitting machine than you would while trying to
      lay down smooth gradients. These are all techniques that take
      some practice and will vary depending on your pigments, machines,
      and needle groupings you select.

For your soft powder grey – try using Sumi inks –
      Also try using a faster machine – and layer it up.

There are a Ton of ways to do grey shading… lots of techniques.
      Are you apprenticing somewhere?
      Check out the book – has a lot of that basic information in it.

Best of Luck

its possible to do a tattoo with zero black. so u need to create tonal changes with multiple colors. i mix ink in the tube to achieve this, or use contrasting colors to create depth.

this is awesome info, I am logging this in my notebook to try on pig skins when I get there

Nightliner
      Participant

I’ve always did the grey work first because colors should be put in, where possible, in the dark colors to light color order. If you do it this way, your light colors will come out brighter.

FYI – guys
      I have a new video for the Member’s Portal.. well a few new videos –
      I think this one will be about 45 mins to an hour…
      it is one of the 20 or so tattoos I got to do last year (in between Iraq and now I am in afghanistan)
      I did this one at top rocker tattoo in Peoria Arizona..
      but it will be a good tutorial on “my style” of grey work…
      I do a very non-traditional method..
      I explain how I setup my machines and everything – done entirely with a Curved Mag 15.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/toprockertattoowebsite/3993344116/in/set-72157622124564142/

But I am editing the video now – and when it is finished – will mail to the states on DVD and have it uploaded to the Members portal.
      Remember the members portal is FREE for those who purchased a copy of Basic Fundamentals of Modern Tattoo.

( I think there are some places that are selling it for like $30.00 now) It is pretty informative and the members’ portal will keep expanding.

inky V

your machine is probably set up like a traditional style shader. smooth powder grays and transitions in grays are easier to acheive with a faster running machine. with a slow running machine your hand movement is also going to have to be slower. if its too fast you get the “hit and miss” you’re talking about. I assume this is what u are talking about since u said u had a traditional old school style.

thetattoist

it’s a good idea that you should also take note how much will it cost you with the colors you will use for color blending or shading. you can also buy kuru somi tattoo ink which is purchased in a set, and you have 79 color variances to choose from

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan