• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      Lennart82
      Participant

Frankly I’m torn, and I mean BIG time torn. Need your thoughts on this one.
      For those of you who know me, you know, I have been ranting on the biker gangs rolling the tattoo scene in Denmark.
      And me minding my own business, under the radar, low key kind of minding my own business. But alas, I knew I had my Facebook page, and that its public, I cant do jack about that really. So I kept on going, doing tattoos, trying to show my skills to the common guy.

Yesterday I got a phone call, from the woman who I did the runic stone tattoo on. She said; Someone wants to talk to you. Okey uhhh, bring him on then.
      He introduced himself as Jakob the owner of Destiny Ink and Street Fashion, a tattoo shop and boutique that just started:
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Destiny-Ink-Streetfashion/154384631424596

I have seen him around, but before this, he had a very small shop, that from time to time got banged up by bikers. Now he, out of nowhere, opened this shop, and in a HIGH end area. Really expensive. So my initial thoughts. Well he got bought by the bikers, how on earth could this have happen in anyway, if he hadn’t sold his soul.

Well as I said, we talked, and he told me he had been checking my Facebook page, and was astounded by my drawing skills, but my tattoo skills could need some guiding (fair enough, yes it could) He then said that he could see me as a tattoo artist, while he himself would never be anymore then a simple tattooer, he could copy things, but that was just that. His own words here.
      He said he had an open seat, and would really like it if I came around for a chat. Told him, well that could be arranged.
      (Now keep in mind, this was late at evening, kids were put to bed, I just said on the sofa and relaxed, so he caught me completely off guard and I mumbled and stumbled on my words)
      He gave me his number, and then told me to give him a call in the next week.
      After this, I was like…. woaow… What the He..?
      Then on my Facebook page, he clicked like… After a few seconds two initially guys with the same last name click like as well. Strange names, not typical Danish names; RossManns. So I had to check them out ;) Curiosity you know, I’m full of it ;)

Now I got even more confused, I mean really. These two guys are the owner of a tattoo/street clothing company just booming big in DK RossManns Destiny (See the link between this name, and the tattoo shop name?)
      This is the link to their site;
      http://rossmanns.dk/index.php?route=common/home

One of these guys contacted me, and wrote that he saw great potential in me, and that I really should talk with Jakob. Again totally confused here, I tried to sound nice and all, pretended that I didn’t just stalk the hell out of him. “Sure thing, planning on contacting him next week! And thanks for the like.”

Now I did a bit more research on the whole thing here. It appears that these to clothing guys are the benefactor of Jakobs shop. They arranged his grand opening. Digging deeper, it looks like these two guys are former biker/criminals turning the tables and becoming good guys, claiming the life of a thug isn’t worth it. And love, tattoos and Chihuahuas(the dog) are the way to a happier life.

The plot thickens (are you guys still with me?)
      Here’s the bombshell;
      These two guys are currently doing a TV show “BIG BUSINESS ON THE WESTCOAST!” on how they run their clothing and how the team up with Destiny Ink and Street fashion on the way to the big spot world over.
      My first thoughts here; ARE YOU FUC…G KIDDING ME????????????????

What turned out, in my mind to be Gang/biker related, is in fact a Fuc..ng TV show, and they get a LOT of their income at this moment from that TV producer…….
      I really don’t know if this is worse then the biker relations, now it seems its TV related… What the …..? is this world coming to?

So I’m torn. What to do? What’s your thoughts on this craziness???

Infamous
      Participant

Weigh your options, but I say go for it. The old biker gang isn’t going to do anything to a shop that is on TV, they’ll never be able to get away with it. The tv thing hurdles over the proper amount of exposure to be beaten up by bikers and reaches the realm of protection via the masses.. That is, of course, if people WATCH the show.. I’ll definitely find a way to watch it though, if you do it. Just make sure it has English subtitles or something lol

Lennart82
      Participant

I made my mind. Gonna go for it.
      But I dont think Im going to be on tv, :lol: dont think it works that way ;) Perhaps in season two hahahahahahaha Naaaaahhh I have seen that tv channel tvivst and turn everything into drama, and all the wrong shots, editing the words.
      But I figure, this gives me a chance to get experience, I cant tattoo every at this moment. My job will not allow that, working late and so.

Now just have to find a way to quit my job… With style :P Or like a Bows :mrgreen:

Infamous
      Participant

I once wrote the words I quit in pepperoni on a pizza. I don’t think you’ll be able to do that but thought I’d share lol

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

we already discussed this :3

Lennart82
      Participant

Ahhh Ramm, you could give some insight in a decent How to Quit :P

Think I’ll mess up every case, and once the flames are high enough, say I QUIT…. Naaaah couldnt live with that hehehe

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

Just say that the experience was great, but you dont feel like it is the situation for you. things arent working out, but you were happy to be considered, and really enjoyed the learning experience of working at such a high end shop. circumstances have arisen and you feel that your employment there is less than enjoyable. you are giving two weeks notice, and voluntarily relieving yourself of your position. :3

Infamous
      Participant

Bleh, that sounds far too professional!

It’s way funner to burn your bridges, lol

Lennart82
      Participant

Agreed to dull of a I QUIT situation. :mrgreen: And too professional

Keep in mind, I work at a Union now, and they dont care about helping people, as long as the man upstairs get his huge pay, and dodge taxes, buy football clubs and build expensive houses, then everybody is willing to place their tounqe way up his.. be hind. And this SHOULD be a union that helps people.. Nah ah… As long as they are blinded by cheap slogans and football they are satisfied, all the while the bossman sits and scores every penny.
      I’m surrounded by laywers, jurists, academic consultant, and such, they think very highly of them selves. :ugeek:
      I’m am litterally surrounded by bookworms with no imaginations.. Just think of what that does to a guy like me :P
      Worst of all, they more or less all hate tattoos. Had to hide my legs durring the summer…

So a little farewell is in order :P

Now, my worst fear, is that my talk with the tattooer today, goes horrible wrong :( And that means I’m stuck at this place…. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Lennart82
      Participant

So a little update form my part (I know, once I start writing, it tends to gets loooooong… Maybe I should write a book about it instead hahahah)
      I visited the shop yesterday, And it was a cosy little place. Or it was in fact a big place. But everything looked unfinished, they needed that final touch to make it a shop. It looked more like a storage room then a tattoo parlour. So it shined through, that they just recently opened. And I don’t think they have done any thought about the place, it all looked rushed and “We open NOW!” -ish.
      Well anyways. Talked to the guy, a big bloke of a fellow. We started talking, and he was impressed, very impressed with my drawing skills, but said I lacked in my tattoo shading. And that he could help me out.
      Then the typical question came; “What can you bring to this shop, that we need!”
      Hey, you contacted me remember. Well okey I bought it and told him a thing or two about my art. And once I told him, that this wasn’t the only thing I could apply to this business. Also my experience as a tax agent, could benefit them, I could help out doing taxes, pay checks and everything regarding taxes. Plus the fact that I work at a union, and could help out with contracts, make them legal and things like that. Jack of all trades here :P
      Well he liked that, very much indeed. And wanted me to make my own contract…… Okey….. Are you really sure that you want ME to do that. Well he was.
      So all in all, things sounded great. And the payment for starters would be 50/50, and the price pr hour he would charge for my, would be around 72$. And 36$ for me. Well that’s fair enough.
      He then talked about, that once I got better, he would charge 145$ for my service, and then the ratio would be 30/70 for him, which would make it 43,50$. And at this moment, just at my home shop, I earn 54,75$. So that’s hmm well, not good enough. But it could be negotiable when the time comes.

Now the twist of things.
      First he wanted to give me a test period, once a week, after work hours.
      I have a day job, and Wednesday I finish at six a clock, so NO go to that day. Monday, my son has his boy scout thing. So that leaves Tuesday and Thursday. I try to have my weekends of, as a holy ground. After all, I have two kids and a girlfriend who needs attention.
      This proves to be a challenge getting this to ad up. I have my job, and its a pristine place, and they want to keep their image as clean and friendly, and they think of tattoos like something they don’t want their name to be associated with. It states in my job contract that I’m not allowed to have another job on the sides, that could have a potential to mark their image, and tattoo is of such a mark.
      I tattoo at home, but my work doesn’t know about that, since I don’t big talk about it, actually no one knows I tattoo. I can keep below radar at home.
      But for me to work at the tattoo shop, they will need to make PR out of me, and then I will get noticed. I work in the same town, as the tattoo shop.

Dilemma;
      I really want to get cracking at tattoos, but in the beginning he can only promise 2 times a week. For now. And his cliental, isn’t that huge yet. He’s still new, keep in mind.
      I need the pay, my job provides, its safe and guarantied. (Got two kids and a girlfriend to feed ;) )
      I cant just quit my job, and hope his shop dosent go under in the beginning. I need a safety in my monthly salery.
      My job will not allow me to have a side job as a tattooer, and I would get discharge and banned without pay, if they found out.

So I’m stuck between choises. Safety, secure, payment vs. Dream, uncertainty and perhaps a payment….

Infamous
      Participant

That would be a really hard decision for me to make as well. I’m currently flying through jobs, had a job in retail for two years that was quite suckish and boring and I hated my boss because she was dumb as hell, and worked there for less time than I have WAY less, decided I didn’t want to mess with the BS anymore and left. About a week after that I started working a REALLY hard job in a warehouse unloading, loading, stocking, and pulling orders for tires all day, well my body decided that I couldn’t do that job just today and I didn’t even bother going in. I hadn’t been working there long enough to even give a flip what they thought about it. But basically woke up this morning struggled to get out of bed all sore and achy and thought nope sorry can’t do it again today. Needless to say I’m in a financial mess at the moment. Still though, if I had a chance to work in a shop I’d take it and I wouldn’t care what they were planning on paying me.. Might be a different story if I made more money doing it from home though.

Lennart82
      Participant

Ah man, that sucks dude.

Hope you’ll get better quick :)
      Remember to listen to the body, its a very smart person ;)

As for the tattoo shop, I have decided, not to do it, I dont know, there is just something wrong, I cant quite put my finger on it.
      Maybe I dont trust his ability to get big in the business, or get publicly known. He is after all, just a simpel copyist, dosent do his own designs. Just copy strait from flash. Hes been tattooing for 3 years. Starte doing tribal, cause he was good at drawing tribals. Coulndt do anything else.
      He has an apprentice, which I just learned, comes and goes as he pleases, has personal problems, and a drug problem. The other hired artist, he said owend her own shop, in my hometown. But I have never heard of her, or can find anything about her. Her work… Well not that impressive.
      His partner, who takes care of the clothing line, has gone bankrupt 2 times at the age of 32. And the tattoo guy, have gone bankrupt with another company of his.
      Perhaps the only reason why he came into the business was to make quick bucks.

Infamous
      Participant

Hmm, well I hope that that is the right decision. Often the gut is the best decision maker

Lennart82
      Participant

Yeah I figured I shouldnt just go headlong into it. Maybe… Maybe, when hes a bit more known in the city… I dont know.

Spider
      Participant

Maybe the title in this should be changed to “Adventures in Tattooing” LOL..
      The thing about this industry is that it is rife with uncertainty at some point and time. And well sometimes you just gotta make the leap and do your best and hope…Sorry to hear that you felt this was a bad decision, and hope that if the guy makes it and you go back that he will consider. IMO I won’t do the same. What I mean is that when I first opened this shop where I am now I was an unknown from another state, in an area of the US where not being from here you may as well be from another country, the good ol boy network they call it. I ran ads, I head hunted, I scouted, and not very many people were interested. Now months later, we are still here and building clients and reputation. Now we have other artists from local shops actually stopping in and liking us on FB. Even had one that had the nerve to call me a “wanna be tattoo artist that watched one two many episodes of Miami Ink” ask if I needed anyone else…HAHAHAHA…These yokels will never work for me, bridges burned.
      And now it gets better, The area in which I am in was the home of the one and Only Percy Waters. He was kicked out of town in 1917 for tattooing the daughter of one of the rich elite. He later opened one of the largest tattoo supply companies and even had the second patent on the electric machine we all use today. Well ending up falling in the right circles I meet the owner of Western Autos here. Western Autos was at one time a huge mail order company the likes of the old sears roebuck. Economy dwindled, stores were sold, and out of the thousands that were once open 20 years ago only 3 are left in this country, this guy owns one in a building that is over 100 years old in the middle of this town.
      Now THIS is where things get good. I have been scouting for a new place to open when my lease is up here, the current owner is crap and I want more walk in traffic, well looked at the central business district of this town and found that there is a ban on tattoo establishments in that area and has been since 1915 or so. But I dug anyway. Found out thru the western auto guy that the basement of his building was once a local grocery store, hat store for men, barber shop, meat market and just across the alley was a very popular brothel which is now a very popular bar and club. THIS guy loved the idea of turning the old barber shop into a classy tattoo shop and the attention it would bring, not to mention potential new customers to his store upstairs. He finds out about the ban and using his connections (his dad was the last mayor of this town before the current guy) he initiates an amendment to the city bylaws to allow tattoo establishments in the downtown area and has agreed to rent me the basement space that opens up right into an alley that sees alot of walking traffic every weekend and at every special event this city has.
      Further digging and looking for info to take to the city meeting for the fight about to happen, has revealed that Mr. Percy Waters himself just may have had a small tattoo booth in the very same freaking building as I want to open up at. So NOW these guys are backing me in the fight, I go before city council to explain the potential for economic growth and I am the ONLY tattoo shop that is in this fight as no one else even knows it’s about to begin. Just the publicity alone is going to be a boost to the shop! I have been in contact with C.W. Eldridge of the tattoo archives, and emailed (and gotten a response) from the Lyle Tuttle museum about this. And it’s growing…
      The moral of the story……I’m sure that there are many who saw me as the potential for failure when I first came here, no contacts, a unknown, outsider. They passed me by with little mind or consideration. If/ when I get this spot downtown, on one of the busiest street intersections around, and if/ when they come to me looking for a seat do you really think that I will be willing to put them in my shop at that time? Absolutely effin NOT! I see it as they had no vision and just wanted a secure thing, and now that i continue to grow I have no faith in them to be the type of stand up artists I seek out. Bridges burned…

Lennart82
      Participant

Ha Adventures in Tattooing I like that :P Well you should read my blog then. ;)

Now that is just amazing for you if you nail that and get that location. I can totally even picture the design, and layout of the place. An old Barbaer Shop, turned tattoo shop. Still keeping the old Barbar theme. Man that could be awesome. Not just for business, but if you nailed the interior and design on spot with that theme, not only would you get costumers, but also people wanting to just see the damn place ;)

And I totally understand your moral here. If I outright decline the seat, I would have burned every bridge there is. And perhaps his shop goes great. And perhaps it dosent.
      Thats why I always play my cards diplomatic.
      There are so many laws in Denmark, regarding business. If its a tattoo shop or a hairdresser, some ground rules/laws apply.

Now I like to dig deep and get all possible information as humanly possible. And I still have contacts with former friends at the Tax Agency. And I have openly access to company registration sites (actually every one in Denmark has this right)
      I have found out, that the “now a tattooer” guy had two companies earlier, both of them went bankrupt due to paper and tax evasion. Payment problems, and salery problems.

Now he told me that this shop was gonna go accordingly to law, and my work at this moment has opend my world of laws and regulations, stating business contracts and so on. He then asked me, if I could perhaps assist him, in making a correct up to law contract. (I really think he never knew what he asked of me, he wanted a CORRECT way of making a contract)
      So I found a standard work contract, found all the various regulations and laws concerning a contract. Theres even a law on haw a work contract is suppose to look like, and what it should state.
      Here is the thing, he could as easilly have made his own contract, since there is NO law regarding tattooers. None, zip… Zero… If he had made one himself, no problems, just sign it and that be that. He wanted a correct one, so no law could touch him this time.
      A correct job contract has by LAW, Vacation money, minimum salery (which should be paid every month) Possible pension and dental healthcare. (These are optional) Maximum working hour, 37 hours a week. An employer cannot demand anymore, your allowed to take more, but if you so do, then you will get overtime payment, which is minimum 50% of the normal salery.

All of this I send to him, giving him the ball, his turn. This was by law on contracts, but I told him, he can change everything to his liking, as there are no such thing as a tattooer in Denmark, its not considered a job :shock:

But the ball is on his field (my way of doing things diplomatic ;) ) And every thing I did and said, I did honestly, he dosent suspect a thing of me not wanting to come to his place.

IF… Only IF (and this might not happen) he totally agrees to a contract like that, THEN I have absolutely nothing to fear, as he then binds to the contract, which is updated by the law, and he by LAW has to pay me a minimum every month. But I guess thats not gonna happen.
      If I now say to him, that; Hey man, think this is an awesome shop, but as I live in another town, a long drive from there, have two kids and full time day job I just cant quit and so on and so on. But plan on moving back to the big city as soon as I find a place for me and my family.
      I think he could understand that.
      This shows that I still have an interest in the shop, but more practical, at this moment, its not possible

One last thing, I saw that show last night, I had no idea of with to suspect or anything. That show.. Was completely bugus.
      Two former criminals, talking about themselves, and their life with crime. And if they hadnt created that clothes series, they would have been in an early grave.
      The show focuses on them, and their line of clothes, and as of what I could hear, they have distributers all over the country. This series is just a way to get 15 minutes of fame, and brand their clothes RossMann Destiny. It had absolutely nothing to do with tattoos or the lieks of it. Only that they love Tattoos, and Love, and Dogs……

Damn, this is getting a lot of text ;)

Lennart82
      Participant

Ha…. My intuition was correct.

Listen to this guys. The shop that wanted me, but never contacted me, has just posted an interesting thing on their facebook page. Yes I do follow them, just to see what they do ;)

Now this post they just made, well its not good. For them that is. Apparently they are low on their budget. The need 50 grand to keep the shop open, and now they have just asked their followers for ideas on how to get this money. They are asking their followers for money, otherwise they will have to close the shop.
      I have been following the owner as well, and he pays everything with tattoos.

I would bet a lot of money on, their new “artist” will have to work for no pay, until they manage to get that money.

Now I’m just reliefed that I didnt sign anything, and I didnt follow up, on him not answering me. It seems they are way over their head. They have a lot of unpaid bills. And his reputation on the street is hitting rock bottom every time I hear something new.

So conklusion… My stomach was right all along, there was something strange about that place. And the place looked unfinished. Now I know the reason, they didnt have the money to do anything about it. Whenever they needed something, the owner would buy it with tattooes.

Your thoughts on this? I could have burned everything by taking that chance. And what are your thoughts about tattooers buying stuff with tattooes?

Spider
      Participant

Well glad it worked out for you. On taking trades for tattoos, it’s not as uncommon as you may think. I will take trade items that I can either resell or use, I have traded services for ink, once instance is when I was building the shop I needed some electrical and plumbing work done, I traded a guy that wanted some work done for the services. What is essentially a 400 dollar piece was traded out for professional (not just some guy that says he can do it but someone who actually does it for a living) work. Bartering in our industry can come in very useful for us at times. I am right now working on a trade for some extensive ink work for a vehicle, We both win in this. Essentially it’s the same process as buying something that you need, since if you had to do the ink for cash and then go out and buy the item you are doing the same thing by taking a trade for the work for the item or service. Now while this may not work for something like groceries or paying your electric bill, it does work for some other services. To date the largest trade I did was to an electrical engineer for him to goto my home and rewire my entire heating and cooling system in exchange for a half sleeve in full color. He got the tattoo he wanted and I got my heating and air conditioning fixed.

Lennart82
      Participant

Okey, so its been awhile since my last update on this particular subject.
      He have contacted me four times now, more or less begging me to join his shop. But as I told him, “I live in a city with an hour drive each way, but I plan on mowing back to the big city, and if he still, at that time has an open spot, we could talk again!”
      I dont know, maybe I have burned a bridge or something, but I figure if he keeps contacting me, and I have to repeat myself everytime, I dont know.

I’ve paid close attension to these people over the last few months. And I have seen what kind of work they produce. And honestly, I’m a bit dissapointed in their big talk and no show. What they produce, well I have seen a lot better.
      The other “artist” or plain tattooer, I have done a little background check on her, that was a hard thing, since nobody ever head of her and her shop. She claimes to have had her on shop, in the center of my hometown, But I have never even heard of her, and people I have talked to havent either. (And I come from a family of taxidrivers, they know every corner of the city)
      But then I stumbled on an old friend, that actually knew her in person. And I finally got her story.
      Basically, she bought a tattoo kit, then rented a location, and opened the shop a week after she got her kit. So she got a bag of money from the bank, she coulndt pay it back on time, and was declared personal bankrupt. She never made anything worth mentioning.

Conclusion:
      We have a new shop, with two owners, both of which have gone bankrupt a couple of times before. One with his tattoo shop. One of the owners is the seller of the clothe lines, (made by ex bikers with an insane pricetag) the other owner is the chef tattoo “artist” who got into tattooing since he was good at drawing tribal. This guy has 3 years of experience, never did an apprenticeship, never even talked to a professionel artist, or got advice from anything. Never read a book on the matter (I asked which books he started reading. He cant read english) They hired another “artist” who never did an apprenticeship either, and who threw herself out in the field the first day she got a kit.
      And since the owner keeps contacting me, wanting me down there. Well my guess is as good as yours.

For a finishing line, this is the kicker.
      Their shop windows have been smashed (with rocks) everytime they get a new installed. Now I dont know, but I guess they have pissed somebody off big time.

And Spider, I just got my car fixed for a tattoo :P So guess its okey ;)

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Rants and Raves’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan