• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      tankgrrrl

So i get it i am a “noob” as my kid calls me. I have NO clue what I am supposed to be looking for and am honestly a lil overwhelmed. I am pretty covered in ink, and am not too shabby of an artist, maybe a tad rusty, but def a decent artist. I see all these other soldiers knocking out crap ink, or just buying stuff and getting to it…so I think to myself if t hese morons can do it I can. However the more I research I do the more confused I get.
      Coils, barrels, ink vs pigment, volts ect ect…then I try to look up resources to learn what I can and they all lead back to someone wanting your money. It is extremely frustrating. I dont know who to trust and who not to trust. I am a soldier and there arent a lot of decent shops in our area. They all seem extremely arrogant and shitty honestly. I dont mean like normal sick of the posers artists trying to wade through the never ending line of people who want to be “cool”. I mean seriously giant tools who over charge for their work because they know some dumb PVT will pay for it. ok..im getting off track
      SO I live where anyone and everyone will sling ink, even though they shouldnt. I am broke,(im a soldier….we really dont make enough) so I cant go shell out several grand to have a shop I wouldnt even let ink me to begin with train me. Baby steps…where do I begin. Please dont say apprentice, because until I PCS and can find some art I respect there is no point…thanks

nytemareh
      Participant

Really not dumb questions at all. First draw. Draw everyday. Draw everything. Secondly you are at a good forum to get good info. Secondly start studying blood borne pathagens. Bbp is the most important thing to learn for yours and your clients protection. While there are a few machines made in china that are decent do not ebay your gear until you know what you are looking at. I would suggest checking out Hildbrandt. I have a few of their rotary machines and very happy with them. I will throw some links up for you when i get home. Ask questions. Do not practice on other people. Practice on pig skin, practice skins, or my fav that wonderful space between your knee and hip. I have alot of reading material i have been meaning to get posted. I will try to get them up sooner than later. Also the book offered by this forums website is very good. I have an extra copy i got with my hildbrandt kit. You being in the military i wouldn’t mind sending it to you. Well anywaysi would ask lots of questions and read. And draw draw draw draw draw.

tankgrrrl

wow, that may very well be the first time someone has been pleasant to me regarding questions about slinging ink. i typically get a lot of rude ppl where i am now. i am pretty well boned up on bbp, i was pre-med before my brain injury. i still work a lot with the health industry as i also train people and work with them on nutrition ect, so not pathogens specifically anymore…but its kinda a hobby of mine. before the brain bleed i wanted to do research virology so micro-bio and i are very good friends lol.

i would love any and all info i can get, i am like a sponge when i am learning something. i will soak it all up and beg for more. example…i dont know the difference between rotary machine vs a ??? or what coils mean and whats good or not. i get the importance of disposable barrels and i totally get the importance of sanitation, the difference between sterilized and disinfected ect do to my medical background…but thats about it. i can draw, and i get pretty much anything medical/micr-bio based, after that i am a blank page.

thank you again for your response, you have renewed my faith in myself here. i doubt i will use pig skin…vegetarian, but i have plenty of empty space on myself, and LOTS of fruit lying around…or is that just a joke that you do that? i am fine with ordering practice skin if i need to. have an awesome day-tank

ben.catterall
      Participant

no need to worry about people being rude on this forum. They have all been great for the time i have been on here. All willing to help as long as you are safe.

as far as the coil verse rotary, there are two main types/styles of machines out there. The coil machine is the most popular which is basicaly a frame, two coils, two springs, and armature bar a capacitor and some wiring, as well as your contact posts and screws (very basic description). I have attached a basic picture. They are more complicated to maintain, but can be more versatile in my opinion.

Rotary machines are becoming more popular. They are a lot simpler to use and maintain as there is less moving parts. I personnally havent used them at all, but i do own one and plan to try it out soon.

Rotary are good (or so I have been told) because they are lighter in weight and have less noise and vibration making it easier to get cleaner smother lines.

To start off I would highly recommend buying the book supplied by this site. I have read mine a bunch of times and it explains the different types of machines and goes into how they work (would take too long for me to explain here).

Definately practice drawing a lot. Pig skin is the closest to human skin for practie, but as you are vegetarian I understand not wanting to use it, so definately practice on fruit like oranges, bananas, melons etc. The point of that is to get used to how the machines work, to get smoth crisp lines, and to practice on a curved surface as human skin is rarely flat to tattoo. Practice skin is also good to use to practice line work, and getting your shading right, but doesnt have the same feel as skin does. You dont get the same feel for how deep to go until your actually doing it on real flesh.

Although many people will say get an apprenticeship (which is the best way to learn) it doesnt mean you cant learn on your own. I am learnng myself, I am also in the defence force (Australian Navy) and it is difficult to do this while in a full time job.

Some of the gear out there is total rubbish, but other cheaper kits and gear arent too bad. Just read lots of reviews on the gear before you buy. and maye even post the link on this site and ask for some advice. We are all here to help.

Hope this has helped a little bit at least. Just keep asking lots of questions and we will try answer :D

Good luck!
      Ben

tankgrrrl

apparently i am not cool enough to see your link ben, it says i do not “have permission” …none the less i thank you for your feedback and have begun the process of determining the route i want to take. i am a tiny lil girl, so i am thinking i may start with rotary and work my way into coil. im a mechanic in the army and i can never do half the work i need to without impact tools because my hands are just too darn small. the guys in my unit are always teasing me about it. i have heard that coil machines are more “old school” and seeing as how i am nearing the “rock-a-billy retirement program” myself and tend to keep it old school i know at some point i will want to try that as well, but before i give myself too much of a challenge i think i should have a lil practice and get it all down. thanks again.

nytemareh
      Participant

Ok sorry took me so long to get back to you. Been really busy.

here is a link to hildbrandt site: http://www.tattoomachineequipment.com

here are a couple of really good youtube videos:
      Mario Barth is great, and has a few really good videos
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuLQriAYJT0

This is excellent on how to line:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt2Cck8xAPw&feature=related

Mike demais is an amazing artist:

I have watched these videos and some others over and over again. As soon as i find a host will get reading material up.

nytemareh
      Participant

Ok here you go. I will state here that if you enjoy any of these books at some point buy a copy. Always support authors and artists that pass on useful information, or that you enjoy. If they don’t sell books, songs, and such then they won’t be putting out the literature, or music you enjoy. these are all my collection. Enjoy and you are welcome.

http://www.4shared.com/folder/K2Bp_uVh/_online.html

Sabio

Hey fellow soldier!!!

First of all…Thank you for your service… I am Retired Army (19K/18E/25F)…

If you are located in the Fort Hood Area I could help you… I got some reading material and I believe I got few machines I could spare… Also, I can help you with any questions you might have or will have and give you some tips… Cant give you an apprenticeship because I do not have a business, I do this for fun for the past 10 years and I do it from my home office!!!…I do not charge and I only Tattoo few people I known for many years that are working in a full body ink…

Send me a PM and I send you my contact info if you are in the Fort Hood area…

Sabio…
      :ugeek:

ic3qu33n

@nytemareh wrote:

Ok sorry took me so long to get back to you. Been really busy.

here is a link to hildbrandt site: http://www.tattoomachineequipment.com

here are a couple of really good youtube videos:
      Mario Barth is great, and has a few really good videos
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuLQriAYJT0

This is excellent on how to line:

Mike demais is an amazing artist:

I have watched these videos and some others over and over again. As soon as i find a host will get reading material up.

i watch all the mario barth i can. i also like to watch joe cap… ahh i cant spell his long italian last name… but he’s great too… i love this forum…. i dont get the bs from other forums here… theres a lot to learn in this field, reading, watching all the things you can, drawing, critique, and yes even an apprenticeship all help. most of our goals here is to have an apprenticeship but it is hard to get, and even some don’t really want one they just want to learn. constant learning and trial and error is really what makes this what it is…. read, read, read. watch, watch, watch, and draw, draw, draw!!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan