• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

My name’s Holly and I’m a Bioanthropology/Fine Arts double major who just recently got into tattooing. I mostly became interested in doing in for tattoos for myself, but my husband believes I would be really fantastic at it. I do have a cheap-o kit he bought me for our anniversary (Standard 4 machine set up) and waaaay more practise skins than I probably need currently.

I’ve been looking into an apprenticeship, but I currently reside in between the middle of nowhere and an abandoned military base, so my hopes aren’t too high. I also already have my BBP certs and I had to get my sanitation certs back in Cosmetology school. (I’m a jack of many trades it would seem.)

I will most definitely be asking stupid questions. I’m incredibly OCD about germs, so I probably go way over the top when it comes to sanitation. So far I have not used my machines on ANYONE, and I do not plan to do so until I can take apart/rebuild my machine and do straight lines. Even then, it would probably just be on me.

Anywho~ Nice to meet all of you. Sorry in advance for my obnoxious future questions.

tat2dguru

Welcome!! Have a great time here and be open to learn.

Infamous
      Participant

Welcome to the forum! We love people who have lots of questions here lol it shows you want to learn and not annoying at all!

Ask away!

Thanks ever so much for the warm welcome!

I actually just got done buying a replacement power supply/clipcord set….for some reason (probably because it was cheap) the power wouldn’t flow continuously on my machines. Even after tuning.

Probably best to have a better power supply anyway. Also bought better coils for my main machine as well as those disposable needle combos. Even though I’m not tattooing people, I figured it would be best to get into proper sanitation practice now. ^_^

Infamous
      Participant

Good thinking! Its always best to practice as if you are tattooing a real person.

And I don’t know where you got the kit but, I would suggest upgrading before hitting up real flesh, and getting used to the new stuff as well.

Oh and, practice skins look pretty cool framed and on a wall of your shop so you can never have too many of those!

Good suggestion! If only the ink didn’t smear so damn bad.

I have the book and DVD 1 from this site (came with the kit) so those are pretty interesting and really helpful.

I got the Grinder 4 machine from Pirateface tattoo. I’m probably going to be replacing bits and pieces for awhile.

Lennart82
      Participant

@Infamous wrote:

Welcome to the forum! We love people who have lots of questions here lol it shows you want to learn and not annoying at all!

Ask away!

+1

As Infamous says… Ask away…

Sidenote. There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers ;) (“Ask your mentor” is one of those stupid answers. :P )

Welcome onboard the forum :D

And practise skins are always a good reminder of were you started ;) Still have mine.

The ink smearing is driving me crazy. >:{

But once again, thank you for the warm welcome!

Infamous
      Participant

Quick tip on the ink smearing, dab don’t wipe :)

tat2dguru

Another thing, when tattooing fruit, try not too roll it around so you are constantly working on the top. Work some on odd angles. I guess unless you plan on having your client roll around on the table or chair so that you can always be in perfect posture. Another thing is too wrap your practice skins around towels and tape them up. That way you get the effect of working on an arm or calf, rarely have any of my clients been flat as a table. :lol: Never really liked the practice skins anyways. They didn’t feel like they reacted like real skin.
      Good luck,
      TG

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

well Loch I’ll be one of our best friends! I am also OCD about germs. There isa MicroSan 70% medical hand sanitizer in every room of my apartment :P
      I’ve been called a neat freak when it comes to my work area, and have also been told I work too hard XD

welcome to our forum, we’re glad to have you. my first suggestion would be to get rid of the cheapo kit, and get a solid good one. the better your equipment is the easier it is to become better. sometimes people’s bad tattoos they are doign are from inferior equipment

i recommend one of these, the most expensive being the best obviously

http://www.tattoomachineequipment.com/the-hildbrandt-professional-tattoo-kit-system

http://www.tattoomachineequipment.com/hildbrandt-mini-tattoo-kit

http://www.tattoomachineequipment.com/the-hildbrandt-starter-tattoo-kit-system

Lennart82
      Participant

@tat2dguru wrote:

Another thing, when tattooing fruit, try not too roll it around so you are constantly working on the top. Work some on odd angles. I guess unless you plan on having your client roll around on the table or chair so that you can always be in perfect posture. Another thing is too wrap your practice skins around towels and tape them up. That way you get the effect of working on an arm or calf, rarely have any of my clients been flat as a table. :lol: Never really liked the practice skins anyways. They didn’t feel like they reacted like real skin.
      Good luck,
      TG

+10

hahahahaha

Sound advice here. Even though it would be a dream scenaria to have a client “roll over” hahaha

I learned that the hard way tonight. I got fed up with the practice skin, and figured I needed to see the exact mechanics….>_>

Didn’t turn out too bad, but I still am having issues with needle depth, I think. Plus right on the bone was NOT the best idea for doing it on yourself haha.

Lennart82
      Participant

Better to go too light, then too deep. If you went too deep, you will have a good chance of scartissue. And too light. thats always fixable.

But lets see the result :D

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • The forum ‘So Introduce Yourself!’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan