• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      TMTT_User

I have seen guys tattooing, then they need more ink – so they grab the ink bottle out – without changing their gloves! This is a HUGE mistake!

alldead

In addition to that, what about adjusting the power supply with dirty gloves? Talk about cross contamination.

Power supply can easily be barrier protected. Many artists do not use barrier protection – this should be a MUST

nyz_name

you should have everything you need to do a tattoo already laid out before starting a tattoo including more than enough ink to do the tattoo with if you dont think you will have enough of a color to finish in one cap make two or three of that color adding more ink to an ink cap can cause cross contamination as for the power supply you shouldnt need to adjust it during a tattoo as you should already have your machines set up before you even begin and for barrier wrapping a power supply i don think that would work as it needs air flow to keep the internal components cool or you will likely burn it up thus keeping you from finishing the tattoo
      you should always change gloves when you touch anything that isnt your machine, nalgene bottle, that isnt barrier protected, or the area being tattooed
      as for you pre tattoo prep you should wipe everything in your work area with cavicide or some other kind of disinfectant but plastic wrap on arms of chairs and where the area to be tattooed will be resting, across your work bench, and on your light vasoline should pulled out of jar with single use tongue depressor or something of the like just as long as its single use and laid on your plastic wrapped work bench, ink caps should be filled with enough ink to finish the tattoo with and sat on plastic wrapped work bench i suggest putting a small amount of the vasoline you pulled out on the under side of them so they dont tip over or use never use a ink cap holder unless you have access to an autoclave, machines should have machine bags or sandwich bags over with a new nipple and new set over rubber bands put on, them clip cords should have clip cord covers, nalgene bottles should be wrapped in plastic, paper towels should be laid out on you r plastic wrapped work bench, new needles and tubes of what ever sizes/types you will be using should be laid out on you work bench the tubes should be plastic disposables unless you have access to an autoclave and new needles and needle bars should be used every time no matter what and when changing needle/tubes you should change gloves before you even touch the new ones your about to put on im pretty sure i covered everthing and if i missed something im sure someone will say something but these are all things one needs to do to prevent cross contamination i would also suggest getting in touch with the red cross and take some classes on cc and bbp also call around to local shops and ask if any would be willing to autoclave your machines for you cause this needs to be done too might cost you a small fee but you will prevent spreading infectious diseases and gain respect from your peers
      as for a supply list these are things you should have before attempting to tattoo
      Machines – You will want to order at least 2 machines, one for lines and another for shading.
      Power supply – You will only need a small, basic power supply to get started.
      Foot Pedal and Cord – Round foot switch with phono plug. Don’t even bother with the scissor action foot pedal they are crappy and break easily. The round foot pedals are heavy and can be pressed from any angle.
      Standard spring clip cord
      Needles – All are single-use, disposable Needles:
      Make sure to get pre-made, pre-sterilized on the bar needles 25 of each should keep you busy for a while
      Tubes- All are single-use, disposable tubes:
      at least a 10x eye loop
      Rubber Nipples – typically 100 packs
      Inks – Depending on your degree of commitment, you can choose a sampler set, or just individual colors. Moms, starbrite and millennium color all perform well. Kuri-sumi for black and gray wash
      Ink Caps – Size #9 and #12 ink caps (100pk each)
      Transfer paper – 8.5 x 11 spirit masters paper
      Sharps container – NEVER throw needles in the trash.
      surface disinfectant/decontaminent cleaner such as CaviCide or Viralex(for area clean-up)
      1 gal bottle of green soap
      Plastic cord cover

Supplies you can purchase locally:
      good magnifier workbench lamp
      Powder free neoprene gloves(some people are alergic to latex)
      A&D ointment or Vaseline 16oz jar
      Two nalgene bottles
      Rubber bands Size 12. They are 1 3/4″ X 1/16″ (4.4cm X0.2cm). No other size will work as well
      Plastic wrap
      Sandwich bags non zipper
      Scissors
      Scotch tape
      Rubbing alcohol
      Paper or Styrofoam cups
      Paper towels softer the better for wiping.
      Rolling chair or stool with adjustable height
      Massage table with vinyl non-porous work top that can be easily cleaned.
      Chair with vinyl arm rest for client to be worked on.
      Dry lock pads for bandages and work area.

sorry for the long post but its needed info

i use finger cotts for the dial on my power supplies< just in case i want to make an adjustment. you should consider changing gloves frequently, petroleum based products compromise the integrity of latex and such and are considered broke down in 15 – 20 minutes.

voodoo
      Nightliner
      Participant

If I need more ink, I take off my gloves, reload, and put on a clean pair; I mean, they’re cheap so why take chances. I admit to adjusting my power supply with dirty gloves, but everything gets wiped down and cleaned before the next customer anyway. And I’ve had to make minor adjustments to the contact screw for one reason or another, just clean it when you’re done.

CHILLY

@nyz_name wrote:

you should have everything you need to do a tattoo already laid out before starting a tattoo including more than enough ink to do the tattoo with if you dont think you will have enough of a color to finish in one cap make two or three of that color adding more ink to an ink cap can cause cross contamination as for the power supply you shouldnt need to adjust it during a tattoo as you should already have your machines set up before you even begin and for barrier wrapping a power supply i don think that would work as it needs air flow to keep the internal components cool or you will likely burn it up thus keeping you from finishing the tattoo
      you should always change gloves when you touch anything that isnt your machine, nalgene bottle, that isnt barrier protected, or the area being tattooed
      as for you pre tattoo prep you should wipe everything in your work area with cavicide or some other kind of disinfectant but plastic wrap on arms of chairs and where the area to be tattooed will be resting, across your work bench, and on your light vasoline should pulled out of jar with single use tongue depressor or something of the like just as long as its single use and laid on your plastic wrapped work bench, ink caps should be filled with enough ink to finish the tattoo with and sat on plastic wrapped work bench i suggest putting a small amount of the vasoline you pulled out on the under side of them so they dont tip over or use never use a ink cap holder unless you have access to an autoclave, machines should have machine bags or sandwich bags over with a new nipple and new set over rubber bands put on, them clip cords should have clip cord covers, nalgene bottles should be wrapped in plastic, paper towels should be laid out on you r plastic wrapped work bench, new needles and tubes of what ever sizes/types you will be using should be laid out on you work bench the tubes should be plastic disposables unless you have access to an autoclave and new needles and needle bars should be used every time no matter what and when changing needle/tubes you should change gloves before you even touch the new ones your about to put on im pretty sure i covered everthing and if i missed something im sure someone will say something but these are all things one needs to do to prevent cross contamination i would also suggest getting in touch with the red cross and take some classes on cc and bbp also call around to local shops and ask if any would be willing to autoclave your machines for you cause this needs to be done too might cost you a small fee but you will prevent spreading infectious diseases and gain respect from your peers
      as for a supply list these are things you should have before attempting to tattoo
      Machines – You will want to order at least 2 machines, one for lines and another for shading.
      Power supply – You will only need a small, basic power supply to get started.
      Foot Pedal and Cord – Round foot switch with phono plug. Don’t even bother with the scissor action foot pedal they are crappy and break easily. The round foot pedals are heavy and can be pressed from any angle.
      Standard spring clip cord
      Needles – All are single-use, disposable Needles:
      Make sure to get pre-made, pre-sterilized on the bar needles 25 of each should keep you busy for a while
      Tubes- All are single-use, disposable tubes:
      at least a 10x eye loop
      Rubber Nipples – typically 100 packs
      Inks – Depending on your degree of commitment, you can choose a sampler set, or just individual colors. Moms, starbrite and millennium color all perform well. Kuri-sumi for black and gray wash
      Ink Caps – Size #9 and #12 ink caps (100pk each)
      Transfer paper – 8.5 x 11 spirit masters paper
      Sharps container – NEVER throw needles in the trash.
      surface disinfectant/decontaminent cleaner such as CaviCide or Viralex(for area clean-up)
      1 gal bottle of green soap
      Plastic cord cover

Supplies you can purchase locally:
      good magnifier workbench lamp
      Powder free neoprene gloves(some people are alergic to latex)
      A&D ointment or Vaseline 16oz jar
      Two nalgene bottles
      Rubber bands Size 12. They are 1 3/4″ X 1/16″ (4.4cm X0.2cm). No other size will work as well
      Plastic wrap
      Sandwich bags non zipper
      Scissors
      Scotch tape
      Rubbing alcohol
      Paper or Styrofoam cups
      Paper towels softer the better for wiping.
      Rolling chair or stool with adjustable height
      Massage table with vinyl non-porous work top that can be easily cleaned.
      Chair with vinyl arm rest for client to be worked on.
      Dry lock pads for bandages and work area.

sorry for the long post but its needed info

Awesome post so a BIG BUMP for this!!

caseyjames

crap i never knew gloves were so important. i have never paid attention to what the tattoo artist does. :(

xDreamerx
      Participant

If you are not BBP certified go do it! I get it done yearly. You will learn more about cross contamination and blood borne pathogens. Remember there is more to this art than just the art work itself. There is a whole medical side to it. I treat everyone as if they have every disease known to man, no exceptions.

I personally put barriers on my P/S, light/lamp, double barrier on my glass desk and stainless steel medical tray, machines are wrapped, clip cord wrapped. If I’m using either of my arm rests, they are also double barriered. I use saran wrap then a medical towel over that. My green soap bottle, and distilled bottles are wrapped also. In fact there is a good chapter in Canvas’s book about setting up your warm zone, hot zone and cold zone, READ IT. This is a widely practiced scenario and quite helpful.

Sure it takes my prep time a lil bit longer, but unless the rules and laws of nature change for blood and infections……anything possible for infections I will continue to practice this way.

I suppose someone could say its overkill….but is it? Go figure.

jtdaltonsr

my power supply knob is small enough to fit an ink cap over. I just place an ink cap on it, when im done, throw it away. barrier protection at its cheapest!

Jester
      Participant

Awsome idea, I’ll have to check my knob and see if an ink cap will fit.

Candice

[URL] http://www.tmart.com/Tattoos-Body-Art/ [/ URL]

sec.11 …… [/ QUOTE]
      Yes, gloves health what important, health is not good affects other people’s health

nedmanders

@xDreamerx wrote:

If you are not BBP certified go do it! I get it done yearly. You will learn more about cross contamination and blood borne pathogens. Remember there is more to this art than just the art work itself. There is a whole medical side to it. I treat everyone as if they have every disease known to man, no exceptions.

I personally put barriers on my P/S, light/lamp, double barrier on my glass desk and stainless steel medical tray, machines are wrapped, clip cord wrapped. If I’m using either of my arm rests, they are also double barriered. I use saran wrap then a medical towel over that. My green soap bottle, and distilled bottles are wrapped also. In fact there is a good chapter in Canvas’s book about setting up your warm zone, hot zone and cold zone, READ IT. This is a widely practiced scenario and quite helpful.

Sure it takes my prep time a lil bit longer, but unless the rules and laws of nature change for blood and infections……anything possible for infections I will continue to practice this way.

I suppose someone could say its overkill….but is it? Go figure.

when it comes to sanitary precaution in this industry there is no such thing as overkill…i have gone through what seems like a whole box of gloves for a single tattoo….but i also use one machine for shading and lining.

longroad

I have used as much as 20 pairs of gloves during a massive outline. Gloves are cheap and having 5 to 10 boxes around should be norm, if you are going to work on people, be ready to use gloves. Even while practicing wear gloves and deal with what you are doing like you are working on a person. If the possibility of CC is there change! It trains you to do it when it counts, and keeps equipment clean. Barriers are nice, but if I have to touch a bottle or power supply I always change gloves. Just good habit!

FrancoLewis

Using gloves is one of the simplest way of staying clean when it comes to tattooing. It’s precautionary measures for the tools not to be contaminated.

This SECTIOON alone has been EXTREMELY helpful! I’m glad for the LONG post and for that specific artist taking the time to REALLY share details and AGAIN express the IMPORTANCE of SANITATION and sterilization of tattoo equipment. This art form can be very dangerous if taken lightly, and I am VERY happy to see that there are artists trying to keep the tattooing reputation HIGH! THanks GUys!

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

I use Night Angel Shadow black textured nitrile powder free unsterile gloves when I tattoo. I change my gloves each time the client takes a break, nad change my gloves after cleaning the skin/applying the stencil. this is to prevent cross contamination form the skin to my ink bottles and such while i set up my machines! :)

after putting on my gloves i give them a rub with 70% alcohol foam hand sanitizer by MediSan. the sanitizer used in doctors offices and hospitals here

leena

Always Make sure the tattoo artist washes his or her hands and wears a fresh pair of protective gloves for each procedure.

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan