• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      robroy289
      Participant

I had noticed the last month that half way through a tat my hand would go numb!! Well, i thought this was the weight of my machine so i switched to a lighter machine.. It helped some! But the last couple nights it has started again. And i mean it goes so numb i can’t feel my fingers!!! I have been tattooing for 2 years and haven’t had this problem.. My question is, has anyone else had this and how are they coping with it???

nytemareh
      Participant

I use a big grip. Stretch your wrist and fingers often. See a doctor to make sure it nothing serious.

mussie

check out carpel tunnel syndrome, it’s nerve damage in the wrist due to vibration’s and other repetitive strain’s. it could also be Raynaud’s which is blood flow issues to the hands, there is no known cure for this but there are products that can help with the sympton’s. both are very common problems. good luck with it :)

robroy289
      Participant

Thanks guys!!

Jester
      Participant

@mussie wrote:

check out carpel tunnel syndrome

If it’s carpel tunnel syndrome, your first two fingers. the inside of your thumb, and half of you ring fonger will go numb.
      Sounds weird, but trust me, I’ve already had the surgery on both hands. Depending on the severity, you’ll lose about 1/3
      of the grip strength in you hand. I have been wanting to learn tattooing for a long time, but I had to wait until I got my
      wrists fixed before I could start. Good luck!!

mussie

@Jester wrote:

@mussie wrote:

check out carpel tunnel syndrome

If it’s carpel tunnel syndrome, your first two fingers. the inside of your thumb, and half of you ring fonger will go numb.
      Sounds weird, but trust me, I’ve already had the surgery on both hands. Depending on the severity, you’ll lose about 1/3
      of the grip strength in you hand. I have been wanting to learn tattooing for a long time, but I had to wait until I got my
      wrists fixed before I could start. Good luck!!

that sucks, really hope you get your grip and strength back; will a large grip on a machine not help you? carpel tunnel can manifest in a few ways, i first came across it a few years ago and a nail technician had to give up work as she damaged the nerve and suffered shakes from the wrist, numbness like you said is also another symptom. good luck mate hope you get sorted :)

Rees

@nytemareh wrote:

I use a big grip. Stretch your wrist and fingers often. See a doctor to make sure it nothing serious.

I had this problem originally when I used 1/2″ grips, since moving to some supersize 1″, I haven’t had the problem. They’re pretty clunky, but I can relax my hand alot more rather than putting a death grip on it like I had to with the smaller one.

robroy289
      Participant

Thanks to all of you’re guys for youre help….

FrancoLewis

It’s really better if you’ll see a doctor before it gets goes worst.

RogerRockit

I’ve noticed the same thing. In my case, I work by day in a factory, using large pneumatic guns, working overhead. So I probably do have a touch of carpal tunnel, but not severe enough for surgery. Stretch often, use a larger grip, and in my case, I’m giving rotaries a try to reduce weight and vibration.

LittleQueen
      Participant

Sometimes the numbness can also be caused by a pinched nerve up higher (like in your shoulders and neck). If you’re hunched over try stretching a few times and maybe changing positions a couple times. The nerves in your arm are a big mess already and pinching them is super common (i’m also a massage therapist and have seen it lots).

Hey,

I had the same problem when i first started, i found that using a gorilla grip( rubber grip ) slid over the top of my alluminium tube grip helped alot! That was when i was using coil machines, now converted to rottary swash drive whip, lighter, minimal vibration and no problem!

RogerRockit

@sirscratchalot wrote:

now converted to rottary swash drive whip, lighter, minimal vibration and no problem!

Nice. I’ve switched to rotary myself, currently learning on a pretty cheap version (similar to the Stealth), but my next machine purchase will be a Swashdrive Whip.

Rees

I happen to have one for sale right now. pm me if your interested.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Rants and Raves’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan