• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Funzo

Hello everyone my name is alfonso, I’m new to tattooing all together i dont even own a machine, but I’m not new to art, i love it, so much that i spent most of my junior and high school years learning all sorts of different things. I know i want to get into tattooing because i’ve been facinated with it ever since i was a little kid and its what i want to do, I know that much. I’m pretty much fresh out of high school and still hella young but i dont see that as a bad thing, i see it as me getting a good start to learning. I really appreciate learning things from other people and i see it as me further my learning.I love sharing ideas andgaining knowledge from artists that i know around my town. All i ask is a point in the right direction, like what would be a good type of machine to start with and where i could maybe purchase one so that i can start my practicing, I know that im going to need to get an apprenticeship, but i would at least like to go in with at least some experience. So any help would be really appreciated.

Welcome –
      First I would like to ask that you post questions in the apprentice questions section.
      Thanks!

If you are new to tattooing, but you have an art background – here are my suggestions.

1.) try to get into a school of design – you would be surprised how many tattoo artists did not go to design school – but you would be even more surprised of how many of the TOP artists have a BFA in Fine arts – or at least started out going to design school
      2.) Get tattooed – best way to get involved and show you are serious is to get as many tattoos as possible FROM GOOD ARTISTS
      3.) build your portfolio
      4.) Get an apprenticeship.

You can not buy a “good machine” out of a catalog. the best machines are ONLY sold to people working or apprenticing in tattoo studios – there are plenty of decent machines out there though – don’t get discouraged…

DO NOT TATTOO Humans until you have learned everything about sterilization and you are in a professional studio. There are a lot of crazy things that you can spread through human blood – that you really have to be careful of.

Tattoo is not hard – but tattoo is not easy.
      You should respect the art-form and you should learn as much as possible before jumping in.
      People will have your marks on them forever – it is best to learn the technical side prior to jumping in and starting to ink your buddies.

With that being said – WELCOME and feel free to ask questions in the Apprentice section of the forum.
      if you have problems with the forum let us know – and we will fix it – also check out the wiki
      http://www.TeachMeToTattoo.com/wiki
      it is slowly being built and you will find lots of answers…
      Do you have a copy of the book: Basic Fundamentals of Modern Tattoo? or any Tattoo Books?

Funzo

Well thats my first step, I do want to go to a design school, and im planning on trying to go to The Art Institute down by L.A. in the next couple of years. I’ve been building up my portfolio for a while now, the only thing is alot of the ones that i like got lost, so i’m gonna have to make more, which isnt a problem since im already taking some art classes at the local Junior College. which hopefully will help. Im also planning on getting some work done on myself in the near future, in the mean time I’m just gonna come up with some designs that i want. I dont have any tattoo books, do you have any recomendations?

Basic Fundamentals of Modern Tattoo
      : )

https://www.teachmetotattoo.com

Here is the Table of Contents –

You can get a copy on the 15th of this month, should be back in stock

1. Welcome
      1.1. Introduction
      1.2. Purpose of the Book
      1.3. Goals that you should strive for
      1.4. History Of Tattoo
      2. Sanitation
      2.1. Diseases / Infections
      2.2. Autoclave
      2.3. Disposables
      2.4. Chemical Sanitation
      2.5. Universal Precautions
      2.6. Barrier Control Devices
      2.7. Work Area Set-up
      2.8. Manufacturers / Distributors
      3. The Machine
      3.1. History of the Machine
      3.2. Brands / Distributors
      3.3. Machine Parts
      3.3.1. Metals
      3.3.2. Frame
      3.3.3. Coils
      3.3.4. Front Spring
      3.3.5. Rear Spring
      3.3.6. Capacitor
      3.3.7. Armature Bars
      3.3.8. O Rings
      3.3.9. Contact Points
      3.4. Machine Build
      3.5. Machine Tuning
      4. The power Supply
      4.1. Voltage Theory
      4.2. Amps
      4.3. Leads
      4.4. Clip Cord
      4.5. Brands / Distributors
      5. The Needle
      5.1. Needle Parts
      5.2. Making Needles
      5.2.1. Round
      5.2.2. Mags
      5.3. Pre Sterilized
      5.4. Sterilization Process for Needles
      6. The Pigment
      6.1. Lining Inks
      6.2. Mixing for Shading
      6.2.1. Grey Wash
      6.2.2. White on Black
      6.3. Color Inks
      6.3.1. Color Theory
      6.3.2. Color Process (Old School)
      6.3.3. Color Process (Revisited)
      6.4. Brands / Distributors
      7. Stencils
      7.1. Materials used
      7.2. Stencil Application
      7.3. Stencil repair / correction / re-use tips
      8. Tattoo Process
      8.1. Outlining
      8.2. Shading
      9. Aftercare
      9.1. Bandaging
      9.2. Healing durations
      9.3. Healing Phases of the Skin
      10. Tattoo Tips / Tricks
      11. Shop Etiquette
      11.1. Customer Care
      11.2. Money
      11.2.1. Tipping
      11.3. State Laws
      11.4. Customer Comforts
      11.4.1. Body Position
      11.4.2. Ambiance
      11.4.3. Atmosphere
      12. Conclusion
      12.1. Closing Remarks
      12.2. Recommended Reading
      13. Works Cited

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘So Introduce Yourself!’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan