• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      ricky0086

So I’ve recently acquired a tattoo set up that i purchased online, and I’ve been watching some of my good friends over that years that tattoo. I am brand new at this, by the way. My wife worked in a tattoo and piercing studio as a piercer and we became good friends with all the artist. I noticed that once i started asking them questions about different things, they quickly became on guard like I was asking questions about a secret society. I found this forum from a search engine, thank god. I’m hoping that I can find the help that I need from this forum and from the seasoned tattoo artist that respond. I have been wondering if it is normal to lose most of your ink from the tube upon initial contact to the skin after refilling. Am i using the wrong tubes with the wrong needles. Is it different reactions to different inks. Ive been using Prizm inks from superior. I like the inks personally, but I fear that I’m using them improperly. I also wanted to know what different voltages do I need to run while lining vs shading.

First of all – welcome to the forum.
      You should get an apprenticeship – from a professional.
      Build a drawing / painting portfolio – if you are a good artist then you should have no problem with this.
      If you are not a good artist – you will never be a good tattoo artist – you will only be a tattooist.

You should also know that you can not purchase “real” tattoo gear unless you work in a studio. The junk you get out of magazines is just that normally – junk.
      Real tattoo machines are not sold in kits – they are sold from professional retailers. A lot of artists start out with kits though –

You should focus on investing in a good power supply – this will make a world of difference. I know that the superior tattoo power supplies are not the best – but they are a good entry point in the industry.

A lot of people knock Prizm – but I like the consistency of it personally – its not bad. Check out StarBrite though – very good pigments.

I have been wondering if it is normal to lose most of your ink from the tube upon initial contact to the skin after refilling. Am i using the wrong tubes with the wrong needles. Is it different reactions to different inks. Ive been using Prizm inks from superior. I like the inks personally, but I fear that I’m using them improperly. I also wanted to know what different voltages do I need to run while lining vs shading.

Losing Ink when you touch the tip to the skin – some loss is normal – too much might mean you have too big of a tip for the needle grouping you are using.
      Use disposable tubes and tips! espec. if you are not tattooing in a studio – YOU MUST autoclave your metal instruments at the tattoo studio where you apprentice. This is a MUST.

Wrong tubes? Wrong Needles? – Depends on what you are trying to do – ask you questions in the Q&A section of the forum please! Thanks!

Voltage: depends on the artist / the machine / the power supply –
      You have to start off simple – and work your way up – best to see hands on – best to learn from your mentor!

Feel free to ask more questions – in the Q&A section of the forum –
      Learn the basics of your machine before you start to tattoo – you must learn to tune your machines first and foremost.

Stay motivated and positive –
      If you are hungry to learn then you will eventually find someone who is a good teacher. Hang in there.

Check out https://www.teachmetotattoo.com/wiki – its a new project we are working on

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘So Introduce Yourself!’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan