• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Hi everyone. I am Tammy. I found this site while reading a review for a tattoo book on amazon. I did a tattoo apprenticeship a couple years ago but was unable to continue learning from the person that taught me because his shop went out of business… I feel totally let down by him because I unfortunitely paid good money and was left hanging. I feel I have a firm grasp on tattooing. I worked in the shop for about 2 years and have completed I would say about 50 or more tattoos. I think what I need most is just practice. What I don’t have the benefit of anymore is someone to ask questions and advise. I hope I can use this site for that.

erocktattoo

Hi, Tammy. That was probably the review for my book you read. That’s how I found this forum also, so far it’s pretty quiet, maybe because it’s new. But it seems like a good place! You can ask me anything! I’ve been tattooing for 20 plus years and I really enjoy helping people! I get a lot of questions from my readers, so believe me when I tell you I hear EVERYTHING!!!
      erick alayon

Thanks for the reply… I read the reviews on your book. Most of them were good. I am thinking about buying it but I wasn’t sure if it would cover mostly things that I already know. I have been tattooing for about 4 years and, if I had to guess I would say I have done between 50 and a 100 tattoos. I know I have a lot to learn but I think what I have to learn comes from practicing. I have taken all the sanitation and sterilization classes on top of what I learned from my teacher. So I am good on that end of the business… Sometimes I have just basic technique questions. Questions that my teacher should still be answering for me, but since he shut his doors I am out of luck! Thank you so much for offering to help. I am sure you know how it is trying to get a tattoo artist to help someone that is just starting out. Even though I did an apprenticeship and worked in a shop for 3 years I am still seen as a scratcher because I am not in a shop right now. I can’t get into a shop because of my limited portfolio. My portfolio is limited because of the closing of the shop I was in…. It’s a vicious circle…lol . I could probably find another apprenticeship but I am not willing to pay again. So my plan of action is to build my portfolio and then look for a shop to work in… OMG I am babbling…. anyway…just wanted to thank you!!!!

bettyloutattoo – the forum was built in 2006 – and had 500 members or so – then we rebuilt the site and changed web hosting, and we lost the FORUM! it sucks – I am the actual builder of the website. I have written a book “Basic Fundamentals of Modern Tattoo” its 250 page textbook – and will be for sale very soon! We have been kicking around the idea of offering a digital download of the book as well – but we are still trying to get the TMTT Member website finished before we release the book. The member section will have videos and tutorials and interviews with real tattoo professionals at real studios – with information on how to get an apprenticeship – and drawing tips. We do not want you to tattoo at home – but we also know it is really hard to get into a studio… its like a catch 22 in the tattoo world… we also know that people sell tattoo gear online and in magazines – typically this is lower class gear though, you should know that to get the best gear you usually have to be licensed. Either way – we are here to help and answer questions! We promise that within the next few months this forum will grow and we will be offering the book (with free membership to the member section of the website) for around $25.00 – We are not trying to make a killing, just cover all of our costs & get the information out there. I have read a few of Erok Tattoo’s books, and there is a lot of good information in there if you are just starting out. Stay posted on this forum – and we promise it will be big and at a minimum we will try to answer your questions. If you have something important send it to “[email protected]” and you should get a response in 24 hours. Be sure to reference a POST on the forum, and one of our staff should respond to that post! Please try to check the forums for the answer prior to emailng though – this feature will be optimized in the MEMBER ONLY portal when it is up! Thanks for your time and interest.

I realize that tattooing at home is not the optimal situation. I wouldn’t be doing it if I had a choice. I do however make my tattoo area as close to a shop as I can. I have a room that I made specifically for tattooing in my finished basement. I have all the proper equipment ( tattoo chair, massage table, proper lighting, Closed drawers for storage, all the proper cleaning and sterilizing agents, an ultrasonic cleaner, autoclave, computer, stencil maker, tiled floor, sharps container) I am a stickler for the prevention of cross contamination. I never reuse anything. I use tongue depressors to dispense vaseline and a&d ointment. I cover my squeeze bottles and machine and clip cord. I also cover my ink bottles when I dispense more ink into the ink caps. I cover all work surfaces with lap clothes. My mother is a nurse so I dispose of my biohazardous materials at her office. ( sharps containers and garbage) I also use high quality machines and power supplies. I set up 2 one for lining and one for color/ shading ) All of my supplies were bought at a tattoo supply not on ebay. ( medical compliance tattoo supply in Warren, Michigan.) I am very conscientious and professional. I apprenticed for 2 years and worked in the shop for a total of 3. I learned good habits. I will get into a shop soon but until then I make the most of it and I hate that I am looked down upon for working at home.

a little p.s. I live in Macomb County Michigan. Unfortunately there are no regulations regarding tattoo shops or tattooing. So there is no license for me to get. They do however regulate tattooing in near by Oakland County, Michigan. They offer blood born pathogens and sanitation and sterilization classes which I did take…

Never too late to lobby your lawmakers – if you feel your area should have (at a minimum) some type of license for your area.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • The forum ‘So Introduce Yourself!’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan