• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      gregtatts
      Participant

no 2 uninished

The execution is good, but the stencil artwork could be better. The waves are too ‘heavy’, the scales are uneven sizes, and the ‘direction change’ of the dorsal fin is messy. Don’t get me wrong, it doesn’t look bad per se, I just think that a more refined stencil would have been a stronger foundation :) Other than that, it looks awesome :)

gregtatts
      Participant

again thank you i did struggle with the stencil alot i think it was to much for me n the scales n direction yes i did get lost plus some o the stencil rubbed of do u no how best to practice the scale please

@gregtatts wrote:

again thank you i did struggle with the stencil alot i think it was to much for me n the scales n direction yes i did get lost plus some o the stencil rubbed of do u no how best to practice the scale please

With regards the scales, I’ve seen two schools of thought, both by Ami James… One, is to simply draw a quick diamond cross-hatch across the area of the fish, and you wind up with something which looks vaguely scale-like, and which some other artists use. Another, is to draw a series of parallel lines, following the curves of the exterior of the fish’s body. If you say 5m apart for each line (for an average size koi), the idea is to draw an arc across the lines, so on the first row of scales, the arc from line 1, would peak at line 2, and then touch back on line 3. Line 3 then arcs to a peak on 4, then touches back on line 5, and so on. on the next line, simply start with the apex on line 1, touching down on line 2, arching up over line 3, and then touching down on line 4. I’ve found that as long as the base lines are evenly spaced, they give a very consistent result :) With regards rubbing the stencil, I have always found that an issue, and when cash allows, I’ll be picking up a bottle of ‘stencil sticking fluid’ to assist with that initial carbon transfer :)

[Edit to add]
      When doing the ‘direction change’ of the dorsal fin, simply increase the height so they blend better. Another good cheat, is to draw the water so it overlaps onto the fish at key areas, thus reducing the need to draw those parts ;)

gregtatts
      Participant

thankz for that il get pencil out n try practice that and the cheat idea is an awsome idea thankz much appreciated

@gregtatts wrote:

thankz for that il get pencil out n try practice that and the cheat idea is an awsome idea thankz much appreciated

No worries. This stencil isn’t quite 100% finalized in terms of detail precision, but should give you an idea of what I was meaning :)

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r44/TreadstoneArt/koi.jpg

PS This stencil is going in my bodysuit, and specifically fits my arm. Please don’t steal it, folks :)

gregtatts
      Participant

that looks cool and i understand what u mean with scales will b trying today lol cheerz

@gregtatts wrote:

that looks cool and i understand what u mean with scales will b trying today lol cheerz

Thanks, and no worries, happy to help out wherever I can :) I’ll be re-drawing the scales to get them 100% spot on for my final stencil, but other than that, it’s pretty much at the final form :) Do you see what I was meaning about the water?

gregtatts
      Participant

Yh putting strategy can help no end looks AWSOME

@gregtatts wrote:

Yh putting strategy can help no end looks AWSOME

Thanks :) I was also meaning could you see what I was meaning when I said the water in your design looked ‘heavy’, by comparison? If the ‘fingers’ of the waves were a little longer, they would’ve been fine :) Overall though, I think the tattoo you did looks fantastic, it’s a piece to be proud of, for sure :)

gregtatts
      Participant

yh i understand what u meen n i agree will bear this in mind cheers

@gregtatts wrote:

yh i understand what u meen n i agree will bear this in mind cheers

Cool, always happy to be of help :)

gregtatts
      Participant

And I appreciate the guidance thank you

@gregtatts wrote:

And I appreciate the guidance thank you

No worries 8-)

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan