• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      gregtatts
      Participant

no 1

Some of the lines’re the tiniest bit shaky, but, it gives the overall design a ‘childlike quality’ which blends with the subject matter. It’s like the illustration for a child’s book, rather than the artwork of a graphic novel. That’s not meant to be in anyway insulting, simply an observation on the style of the artwork (which I think looks fantastic) :)

gregtatts
      Participant

thank you didnt expect that at :o i am having truble keeping my machines setup i cant seem to find the right one yet

@gregtatts wrote:

thank you didnt expect that at :o i am having truble keeping my machines setup i cant seem to find the right one yet

Are you using coil machines? I found a similar issue with the machines I was using, that I needed to almost constantly tweak the contact screw while working, and to say it was frustrating, was an understatement (as well as making me look like an amateur) In the end, I took a punt on a rotary machine off eBay for about £6. The machine was sold as ‘liner/shader’, and set up to work with either clip cord or jack plug input. Works a treat, and no more interruptions while working, so less distractions from ‘getting into the zone’, so to speak :)

gregtatts
      Participant

yh i am useing coil n to make matters worse i just got new coils n as i was replacing them the lot hit the floor so ive put it all back together finaly n gnna try it out tomorow i have thoght of rotary but no one has ever told me that they r better

@gregtatts wrote:

yh i am useing coil n to make matters worse i just got new coils n as i was replacing them the lot hit the floor so ive put it all back together finaly n gnna try it out tomorow i have thoght of rotary but no one has ever told me that they r better

The rotary machine has a fixed throw for the needle, so there’s no need to adjust the gap between a contact screw and front spring, and that’s been the weakness I found with the eBya coil machines I had been using. Admittedly, there are probably better rotary machines, and of course, it’s all a case of what someone feels more comfortable with, but I’ve personally found using the rotary machine to run more consistently :)

gregtatts
      Participant

il be looking in to them then dude just seen a nice rotary dragonly lol tempted :twisted:

@gregtatts wrote:

il be looking in to them then dude just seen a nice rotary dragonly lol tempted :twisted:

The one I got off eBay was so cheap, that even if you don’t get on with it, or if it breaks, at that price, it’s pretty much disposable 8-) I haven’t been able to use mine much, some filigree on my brother in law (no photos of the work as yet) and a few flowers on my arm, but the issues you mentioned about the set up, are completely removed by using a rotary: Just fit the needle and tube, and you’re good to go, and don’t need to keep tightening or tweaking screws while working 8-)

gregtatts
      Participant

Yh think good idea to get disposable to try but would still like to understand the coil but I will get one cheerz

ben.catterall
      Participant

@KitchenWizard wrote:

@gregtatts wrote:

The one I got off eBay was so cheap, that even if you don’t get on with it, or if it breaks, at that price, it’s pretty much disposable 8-) I haven’t been able to use mine much, some filigree on my brother in law (no photos of the work as yet) and a few flowers on my arm, but the issues you mentioned about the set up, are completely removed by using a rotary: Just fit the needle and tube, and you’re good to go, and don’t need to keep tightening or tweaking screws while working 8-)

The one thing i noticed about the cheap machines from ebay is that, well basically, they are cheap. And generally, cheap tattoo machines wont run as well, or will take a lot more maintenance. a lot of the cheaper machines use very cheap materials. they will vibrate a lot more than a better quality machine meaning the screws get loose quicker. I wouldnt give up on the coil machines just yet. You just need a better quality machine, or possibly just need to tweak your gear to get it to run better.

gregtatts
      Participant

hi yh i didnt mean that to sound negative the machine i use is a cheap one n probably is the problem but its the one machine that feels right if i could only set it up right lol i will get a rotary and incorp that either as main or shade ect its due to respect i use coil as the guy i was friends with died his name was dave warman he had 25 years in tattooing and he allways used coil unless had alot ov colour so i think i owe it to mysel to try both lol

@gregtatts wrote:

Yh think good idea to get disposable to try but would still like to understand the coil but I will get one cheerz

Oh for sure, I think knowing the fundamentals of coil machines really should be part of every tattoo artist’s knowledge. Sure, they may chose to use only rotary, but, you never know when a guest slot may appear, or suddenly be asked to use a coil machine, and not knowing how to set one up and how/why they work the way they do, would make someone look at best, like an idiot, but more likely, damage their credibility as an artist :lol:

@ben.catterall wrote:

The one thing i noticed about the cheap machines from ebay is that, well basically, they are cheap. And generally, cheap tattoo machines wont run as well, or will take a lot more maintenance. a lot of the cheaper machines use very cheap materials. they will vibrate a lot more than a better quality machine meaning the screws get loose quicker. I wouldnt give up on the rotary machines just yet. You just need a better quality machine, or possibly just need to tweak your gear to get it to run better.

Yeah, that’s pretty much what I found with my Chinese coil machines: Vibration made them require more tweaking than looked good while using, and after a while, I just found it too much hassle to keep needing to tweak the contract screw every few minutes, so I decided to make the switch to rotary. To be honest, I couldn’t spare the cash to buy anything more expensive, but equally, didn’t want to spend $$s to then find out that I didn’t like how the machine ran, so I felt that £6 was a reasonable risk. I have a facebook friend who is also an artist, and he said that he’s only ever used rotary machines, and that his mentor had said that the cheaper ones can be hit and miss, and that the motors can heat up. After running for over three hours, mine was still cool to the touch, and no issues at all while running, so I guess I got lucky :lol: I’m tempted to get another just as a spare when I can spare the cash, just in case :)

robroy289
      Participant

When i buy a machine i always change and tweak things on it to my liking… The main thing to keep a machine running the same time after time is good quality parts.. There is nothing worse than constantly adjusting the contact screw and other parts when tattooing a client!!! First thing my mentor made me do to my machines was change the lock screw on the binding post from plastic to metal. Tune machine and take pliers and alien wrench and go around the whole machine tighten everything!!!! Tight as hell!!! That will help some.. You can make any frame usable with the right coils but all in all you would be better off getting a more expensive machine better in quality. If you get a good quality coil machine you will throw that rotary machine in the trash!!! That’s just my suggestion

@robroy289 wrote:

When i buy a machine i always change and tweak things on it to my liking… The main thing to keep a machine running the same time after time is good quality parts.. There is nothing worse than constantly adjusting the contact screw and other parts when tattooing a client!!! First thing my mentor made me do to my machines was change the lock screw on the binding post from plastic to metal. Tune machine and take pliers and alien wrench and go around the whole machine tighten everything!!!! Tight as hell!!! That will help some.. You can make any frame usable with the right coils but all in all you would be better off getting a more expensive machine better in quality. If you get a good quality coil machine you will throw that rotary machine in the trash!!! That’s just my suggestion

Can’t see it happening :lol: While I’d use a coil machine if I absolutely had to, I can’t see myself ever wanting to buy a coil machine again. Why would I want to spend $$s on some brand-name coil machine, when I can get the exact same results with a machine costing $10? It’s the artist who makes the tattoo, not the machine they’re using ;)

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan