Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Jbeaufosho

http://i40.tinypic.com/rrox88.jpg

I actually posted this picture in my other thread but I wanted to post it again so I could pose a question as well. I know this kind of thing varies immensely from region to region but I was wondering what you guys would charge for something like that. I did that on a friend and I gave them a break on the price. Im just curious to see what something like that would go for somewhere else in the country/world (I’m American btw. Connecticut to be more specific). So if someone came in to your shop and asked for this what would be your estimate? It’s obviously on a bicep. And it’s pretty big. I don’t know if you can tell from the photo but it starts at the top and goes pretty much down to the ditch/crook of the arm. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

Depending on how long it took me anywhere from 120-160
      hard to judge size from the picture though.

Jbeaufosho

It’s about as tall as a piece of computer paper. If that gives you any perspective. You’re in Canada?

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

a piece of paper? Probably more to the 80-120 range then
      Yep I was born and raised in Cornwall Ontario.

Lennart82
      Participant

Oh man, pricetagging this one?
      And at prices in my country?

For something like that, I would have charged around 250-300$

But my prices are half the standard in Denmark. Standard pricetag for a piece this sieze, around 550-600$ (And this you will have to pay, if you go to the standard shops.) Now these standard, well 2-4 years of experience. Never had a mentor, never worked at another shop.
      IF, you were to go to the top notch in DK. around 800$ And here you get told on several occasions that they are a member of the Danish Tattoo Union… Wow….

You could get it cheap at the local skin bucther for around 100$ :P But bring your own bandages…

Infamous
      Participant

I could see myself charging about 120 for this, but if you went to anyone else in my area I think any other artist would charge way more.

That being said I know a handful of people who would do it for cheaper too. But there is a good chance it would get infected.

I’m not in a shop right now, so I don’t quite have the overhead that shops have or any of that extra stuff that goes into a tattoo, so basically all of that money goes right into my pocket instead of 70% of it going to a shop.

Shaggy

Our shop rate is $150/hr… (“friend” rate is $100/hr). Shop minimum is $60 for like simple script, etc.

Jbeaufosho

Yeah unfortunately I do only take a percentage. I’ve worked my way up to 50 so half of whatever I make goes back to the shop. (Which I have no problem with but it does make my prices higher. And yeah shaggy our shop is pretty much exactly the same. All told tattoo took me around 2 1/2 hours so I normally would have charged 350. I charged by the session though. And gave them a break. 150 for outline 120 for fill. So I took home 135 on it plus tip. I live in Connecticut (us) so everything is fucking expensive here. But it seems like everyone is on pretty much the same page. Thanks a shit ton for the feed back. Shaggy where are you from/where do you tattoo btw?

Thanks also to Len btw for the international perspective! Much appreciated and actually not far off from what I charged.

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

A lot of places around here go by the piece. I’m pretty sure El Toro is by the piece, PhilINK TATTOOz is 75$/hr, Uncle Brian’s Tattoos is 100$/hr, The Skin Within is by the piece I believe, Locey’s Kustom is SUPER expensive 400$/session. Not 100% sure what that means, but oh well. He’s probably one of the best black and grey ARTISTS in my city.

Then there’s the kitchen magicians, Indago Ink 40$ minimum and by the piece, Flash Ink is 40$ for small pieces 60 for medium and 80 for large pieces. The others I’m not sure about as they just tat on their kitchen. No shop name, no shop facebook, nothing. Then theres me at UCTattoos. Probably the only home shop that is 100% to code and then some. I even wear masks and safety glasses. I charge 40$/hr, and even if it takes me 1.5hrs I’ll charge for 2. Unless it’s a friend then I’ll charge for 1.5. I’ve been harassed by a lot of friends/family/clients to raise my prices, but by looking at the prices around town you may as well go someone else, you know? My city is filled with idiots who want tats, badges, not art. They go where the cheapest ink is not the best art. Kind of sad but that’s how it is. I fear if i raise my prices too much there goes all of my clientèle.

Shaggy

South Florida here… tshirt and shorts today, how about up there? :D

Jbeaufosho

Snowing like a mother fucker! You lucky bastard. We’re supposed to get like 7 inches. And yeah we try to charge by the piece as well (or flat rate, as we call it) for most of the things we do. But bigger stuff goes to hourly rate.

Also shaggy, my mentor that I’m working for now, actually cut his teeth in the industry down your way at inksmith and Rogers. Lot of legit shops down there, I’ve been meaning to make my way down there one of these days to check it out

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

-30C here, haha

robroy289
      Participant

@Jbeaufosho wrote:

I actually posted this picture in my other thread but I wanted to post it again so I could pose a question as well. I know this kind of thing varies immensely from region to region but I was wondering what you guys would charge for something like that. I did that on a friend and I gave them a break on the price. Im just curious to see what something like that would go for somewhere else in the country/world (I’m American btw. Connecticut to be more specific). So if someone came in to your shop and asked for this what would be your estimate? It’s obviously on a bicep. And it’s pretty big. I don’t know if you can tell from the photo but it starts at the top and goes pretty much down to the ditch/crook of the arm. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

I have a shop here in the U.S as well.. I would have charged at-least $180-$200. Your work is solid with really good line work.. Don’t under-price your work. You are good!!

I am at southern California and my mentor told me that If I was going to charge by the hour it would be $100hr we did have artist that were on the $150hr mark, both at the same shop.
      by the way tattoo looks good.

maniera
      Participant

@robroy289 wrote:

@Jbeaufosho wrote:

I have a shop here in the U.S as well.. I would have charged at-least $180-$200. Your work is solid with really good line work.. Don’t under-price your work. You are good!!

I would pay more for tattoo, just to be sure that is done by professional, you DON’T safe money,

Ian Morgan
      Participant

Im in the uk at my shop we charge £60 an hour with a minimum charge of £40 for anything less than an hour, for that tattoo I would have quoted for 3 hours £180 then if it takes a bit less they think they are getting a good deal when you say its only going to cost £150.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan