• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Lennart82
      Participant

Catchy title heh??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ha, but our little run in and bad start, with our new member got me thinking of something.

That LAME tattoo

Lets call it something else shall we. We will use Spiders word here. The tattoo we Dread doing. And why talk about that….?

Here is my take on it.
      What type of tattoos we dread? But actually more important…. WHY do we dread them, why do we hate doing them?

Theres a learning lesson here, even for our seniors. ;)

What I dread the most. I really hate it;
      Its Tribal, next up; letters

These two are my nemesis, my archilles, my mistletoe, my cryptonite….

First tribal… Why I hate it.
      The reason I hate doing it, is becaurse I get very quickly bored in doing tribal. Imo I just dont think it looks good. And it dosent matter if it were done by Cat von D or the local Tatto Jens in his basement. Its boring and it gives a wrong impression, imo.
      But what could I do to NOT hate it? I’ve been working with myself on this occasion, really trying to find clients who wants tribal. That way, I can take the bull by the horns. And give it more goes.
      If the tribal is all black……. Ohhh boy…..
      My former mentor always said….; Anybody can do Tribal.
      Which I really dont think is true. I have been doing a bit o’ studying on the whole Tribal matter. And now I truly believe that not everybody can handle Tribal. To do a tribal, you really need to follow the body flow. And I figured… HEY, thats whats wrong with it, it dosent follow the body. It looks strange… It looks rushed (even though it can take many hours doing a full arm tribal)
      So imo to do a tribal takes vision. Vision of the body flow, vision of what that body type needs. And perhaps the reason why I dislike doing tribal….. I dont have that vision :oops: :oops: :oops:

Now second one… Letters…
      This is more simple… I fear it. I fear everything can go wrong with letters. That perfect line. Blowouts…. ABSOLUTELY NO GO. And just me thinking, dont do a blowout, dont do a bowout… makes me even more nervous..
      I dont hate doing letters… I dread it, I fear it. And still havent found anything that can make it less dreadfull. Perhaps experience here is the only key.

Now your take on my dreads??? (not locks) What could you bring here, that could perhaps open my eyes on these two… nemesis?

Now your turn… Why do you dislike things?? Lets get a thing going here ;)

Infamous
      Participant

Honestly at this point I look forward to every tattoo that comes my way! I am good at tribal, but I’d never get it done on myself and the reason being is because it is so popular. Everyone and their dog has a tribal tattoo these days, and I don’t see them holding much meaning other than the traditional right of passage, I already have tattoos so I don’t see the point in getting tribal as a right of passage. Maybe as a first tattoo I guess.

Lennart82
      Participant

Agreed, most want tribal cause everybody else has em. Especially if your a big guy that hits the gym 3 times a day.

And its not to be taken wrong, I do love doing tattoos, and everytime I get a chance to do one, I want to do it. Its not like I point out to the client that I dont like doing these or things like that. I keep it as proffesional as can be. But amongst equal minded, I believe its okey to say which you dread doing, and by doing that, you can learn imo, to get better ;)

Spider
      Participant

Script script script………I admit this not only to myself but to my clients as well. I have done so many letters, words, initials over the years that I do cringe when someone wants any kind of script. (Nice title by the way) :lol:
      But as many letters as I have done, I will do them carefully and exact, and I can honestly say that in my years I have yet ( I did say YET) to misspell anything. But dread no, now the dread sets in when I have someone come in that is either large and has skin that looks like it is draped on them, or bone skinny and they want…………a rib piece…OMG! That is my dread. Ribs being such a difficult area for me to work on as it is, having flabby skin or no meat whatsoever makes me cringe.
      Much kudos to you Lenn for taking your problem area head on. And to anyone who does.

Lennart82
      Participant

I follow you completely Spider…. Scripts… Letters… call it what you will…. ;)

So you dread the ribs? I havent done that many on the rib sides yet. And the one I did, actually was great skinned… (hahaha can you even say that? :lol: Great Skinned?)

Spider
      Participant

hahaha…say that one to a client in a slingblade voice…….” hmmmmmmm you got nice skin hmmmmmmmm.”
      :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
      ROFLMAO…..

Infamous
      Participant

Or Buffalo Bob

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

I mostly dislike Tribal, and Script

Script because I’m an artist not a calligrapher. Script is also meant to be STRAIGHT, and FLAT. Nothing on the body is straight, and flat. That’s why people add all those swoops and bells and whistles.

Tribal because it is just an old ’90s fad that died in no time. No one knows the true meaning of tribal, and they get it because they lack the originality to come up with their own designs.

I will also not do relationship tattoos. Love lasts forever, but tattoos last six months longer. I wont have someone regret one of the tattoos I do.

Lennart82
      Participant

@Spider wrote:

hahaha…say that one to a client in a slingblade voice…….” hmmmmmmm you got nice skin hmmmmmmmm.”
      :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
      ROFLMAO…..

Hahahahaha that could be taken sooooooo wrong hahahahaha

@Ramenuzumaki wrote:

I mostly dislike Tribal, and Script

Script because I’m an artist not a calligrapher. Script is also meant to be STRAIGHT, and FLAT. Nothing on the body is straight, and flat. That’s why people add all those swoops and bells and whistles.

Tribal because it is just an old ’90s fad that died in no time. No one knows the true meaning of tribal, and they get it because they lack the originality to come up with their own designs.

I will also not do relationship tattoos. Love lasts forever, but tattoos last six months longer. I wont have someone regret one of the tattoos I do.

Script on skin vs paper….? Well have to agree, theres a ton of difference in that area. But nevertheless, I have seen some script tattoo artist. Those who specialice in that area, and man, they do great work. But imo, it takes more then just practise to become a script tattoo artist. I have deeply respect for those who can.

I’ve heard that tribal is on its way back….. Or is it just me???

Lennart82
      Participant

Ohhhhh boy… Yesterday evening.
      I was in dread. Script, 15 words…. On the ribs….. And on a girl, who recently lost a lot of weight. Very stretchy skin…..
      It went alright fairly, even though she jumped a couple of times… You know, that time were you really need to concentrate and the client has to hold her breath or something.

But my dread got mixed when I was halfways… She moaned…. And I have never heard someone moan like that, when getting a tattoo….. :lol: I had to really focus on not laughing. She sounded like she was having a ……. “crises” :P

So dreading the scripts, the placement, and focusing really hard not to send a wrong smile.

SparkEater72

Memorial tattoos, especially memorial tattoos for kids or babies.

I’ve no problem with the artwork or honoring a deceased loved one, but I’m not equipped to deal with the story and emotion of the client. I’m not one to offer platitudes and bullshit to pretend I understand how they feel… I have no idea. Even if I do feel for them, I can’t tell them anything they haven’t already heard. :(

Sometimes emotional clients have a hard time sitting still. Sometimes their story can throw me off my game for a minute (take a break, clear head, go back to it focused) but they’re always tough tattoos for me.

Once in awhile I can handle the work and the story… but I have done two or three a day spaced every 3 or 4 days after a young one died horribly near where I used to work. Everyone had a story about how it affected them, most of them were inked to show support for the family. The toughest two were the parents (naturally).

Close second to that is the “Hatchet Man” ICP (Insane Clown Posse) Juggalo shitheads make me homicidal :twisted: :twisted: and I refuse these tattoos just because I don’t want to deal with the moron asking for it.

I used to LOVE drawing clowns especially, but anything related to dark carnival concept (this is going back over 30 years)… until ICP showed up and their lil Juggalo dickhead fans thought I was some uber-fan :roll: and someone that could relate to their brand of bullshit. I’m not… and I’m not. So now, if I do get motivated to draw/paint anything DC related… I keep it hidden.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Rants and Raves’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan