• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      ratmonkey

Wasn’t sure what category to ask this in. What is the best light to use when tattooing? I mean like fluorescent and so on. Does anyone use portable lighting? Thanks.

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

I just use the regular light on the ceiling of my shop. Some people use the fluorescent lighting. You can also get small lights that attach to your tattoo machine.

ratmonkey

Ok thanks. Was even thinking about a head lamp.

Infamous
      Participant

LED is probably the best option, but I use the regular incandescents that are in the ceiling lol

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

I have an LED Headlamp. it works like a charm!

Lennart82
      Participant

I want a headlamp, but my girlfriend thinks I look redicules hahah, she all in the; having a good image ;)

I use a speciel non heat lamp. The light bulp cost a small fortune, but it dosent give out heat. I figure, your client will get heat enough coming from their body, dont help them boil with a hot source shinning donw on their tattoo. ;)

But thats just me, concern with the clients well being hahaha

ratmonkey

Thanks all. Just ordered an LED floor lamp that is adjustable. Was 120 bucks, so hopefully it is useful.

Spider
      Participant

I hunted antique stores for my lamp, finally found the ONE!!! An old hospital flor lamp, all stainless steel. The head has full rotation, with a bent post that can be raised and lowered. Rewired it for a modern plug, put in a daylight bulb for some bright white, and put some polish on the inside of the stainless cup. Those things are like freaking spotlights! Before that though I went thru alot of lamps and modifications of lamps to find a good one I was happy with. LEDs are good, headlamps too if you can work with that. Even seen guys use the glasses with lights on the edges. It’s whatever works for you man. Know one guy in my area that turns off his booth lights when inking, and uses only his floor and desk lamps to work with. As for the heat thing, that’s why I have a fan pointed right at me, ahhh air!!!

tat2dguru

For my main lighting I use what are called Otterlite’s.( 2 actually so not too get shadows ) They are a florescent of sorts. Bulbs are spendy but it gives a clean light without the pulse of a standard florescent. I’ve used the machine lights but they take some power from the machine and I always had an issue with keeping it pointed where I wanted. It also would put off a glare from the Vaseline. Tried multiple headlamps and have found the LED headlamps work the best for me. As for looks? I don’t think my clients have an issue with it when I tell them it helps me keep a good eye on the stencil. I will sacrifice looking goofy ( well goofier than I normally do ) for the sacrifice of a clean tattoo. ( I pretty much use it primarily for lining, might use it when shading tight smaller pieces ) But really love my Otterlites.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Main lighting will led you to give an good and comfortable look.

Derek601

i picked up a ottlite i believe thats how ya spell. anywho. its suppose to replicate sun light. its pretty bad ass. it was 49 bucks at lowes. they have a smaller table one also.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan