• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      geoffx1

how do i prevent wiggle lines in my work,my hand wasnt shaking but i just found it hard to control the needle,am i going to light ?to heavy?it was a tribal piece with alot of long lines i used a 3liner should i have gone bigger 7 or 9 for example?

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

normally people try to push their needle size when they are just starting out
      use the biggest liner you can
      i dont even use 3RL at my shop
      i use 5RL 7RL 9RL and 14RL

Infamous
      Participant

And don’t forget to put rubber bands on

Lennart82
      Participant

A little thing I have noticed.

When you use a small needle, ie 3RL, then every breath will be shown in that line. Use a bigger one, as suggested. Tribal pieces…. No smaller then a 5RL.

Spider
      Participant

Using small liners is a learned experience. I only recently (in the last 4 years) started using 1rl’s for some of my line work. But I agree with Ram. Get used to larger needle sets and getting your hands trained in straight lines before you move on to the smaller needle sizes. When you can lay decently longer lines with no wobble, stop mid line and then pick it back up on the next pass without a miss Then start to go down in your liner sizes by starting to use a smaller liner for some detail stuff then keep moving up to bigger and bigger lines. But then your style may develop in which you never ever use small liners.

geoffx1

thanks very much guys much appreciated your advise will be taken no more 3 liners for me.

geoffx1

Hi guys will i be able to re-work my line work with a 7 or 9 liner to cover up my shaky lines once this tribal has healed ?
      thanks

Infamous
      Participant

I think you can, but I’d have to see the tattoo to be sure

Lennart82
      Participant

Yes I think you can…. BUT, then your going over it one more time, which could leave scars if your not very carefull.

xDreamerx
      Participant

Thats kewl to see agreement on this particular topic.

Agreed larger needles are good to start off with, I see this a lot with folks who get good doing “traditional” flash pieces/ artwork. cause you can learn to do clean, heavy, single pass outlines.

I learned hard way and thought I was supposed to start with the smallest. But then again I spent 6 yrs using single needle so it was a natural transition to just use single and 3rls. And yes with smaller needle groupings you WILL see your mistakes especially with script lettering tattoos.

you can rebuild your lines with a larger needle grouping…..agreed with others. I often times will clean my line work with the same needle group and “build” it to give it that solidness appearance. Again this is all what your comfortable with. As a growing artist you will go with what works easier, quicker for you.

So what works for me or what I try may not help you……hope my rambling made sense and helped lol sorry if its confusing brotha.

I agree larger needle grouping is more forgiving but also remember whether you are using a round or diamond tube make sure you are not pulling the needle away from the back of the tube because the tip and rubber bands guide the needle if you lift the needle off the back of the tube it will try to return to its resting place and cause you to get a shaky line. Keep your angle and depth steady. make sure your needle grouping sits to the back of the needle bar and it is not a bad idea to put a slight bend in the bar so the needle rides the back of the tube better and the rubber bands dont inadvertently lift the grouping off the back of the tube. so basically push the machine dont pull it make sure your tube is at a 45 degree angle to the skin and the machine is away from the direction you are moving .

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan