• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Road

Hey there folks!

Figured I’d post an introductory message here to kick things off as I start to finnally focus down to get my portfolio started up before hitting the pavement to find a tattoo apprenticeship. Looking for suggestions from the audiance for things to include.

I’m a 25 year old queer artist living in Kingston, ON, and making art in various physical forms has been a passion as long as I can remember. Playing around (as I do) with illustration, graphic design, animation, graffiti, and oldschool airbrushing stuff, I’ve got a show coming up in November at the local rockabilly boutique my friend runs. I’m planning on sending invites to the artists and owners of the shops around town as a way to try and start the dialogue between us, possibly sell some work as flash (I’m keeping stencils of everything that will go in the show), and chat folks up about apprenticeship if possible. Does anyone else have experience doing that? Anyone have any advice? I feel like, I can hit the pavement proper with the work I put into the show and some of my other stuff if nothing comes of it (ie tattoo artists have lives and may not decide to come out) but I think it could be a fun way to have them come to me possibly. Thoughts?

robroy289
      Participant

Welcome! I don’t have any replies to that! But, we are always glad to have a new member regardless of their race, creed, or sexual orientation.. :P

I would say just from my experience so far that you should have a serious spread of different subjects for your portfolio. I noticed that most portfolios are narrowed down to the artist ability. I would make a portfolio of the stuff your super good at in the first few pages, then the stuff at the end that shows you’re brave enough to do art your not so good at. Also show various styles, not just all “traditional”. Also don’t pay for an apprenticeship ever, be humble and do whatever you can otherwise to spend time in the shop.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The forum ‘So Introduce Yourself!’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan