• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      M1k3
      Participant
      Rees

Pretty solid line work, make sure all the lines meet in a solid manner, good saturation in the colored areas, skin filled in solid but not overworked. I like em.

Viper65

The first one is my favorite and in my opinion the best of the bunch. I think its a solid tattoo, great saturation, not over worked, and clean. The bird tattoo to me lacks any life to it at all….by that I mean its flat, there’s no real depth to it, the color doesnt look saturated to me it looks spotty and in some areas missing completely. To me this is a beginner tattoo..its not horrible by any means, im just being honest about it. The third tattoo, the Quam tattoo is nice, it looks pretty clean and the shading (what little is there) looks pretty decent and well placed. I think there could be a ton more detail put inside of the Island itself to make it more interesting or put some other stuff in there to give it interest…of course if this is what the client wanted and that was all its not your problem you did what he wanted and it came out great for you!! The last one is nice, I like the bear and star but again to me its pretty boring, I mean it is what it is you do what the client wants and its a clean, straight up tattoo but it lacks life to it….just my thoughts all in all they are all excellent efforts on your part and your well on your way!!! 8-)

M1k3
      Participant

Thanks viper. Yea i definitely agree with most of what you said. Except the humming bird. I left some parts uncolored like the underbelly and tip of wing as lighting effect I suppose. The states were pretty much exactly what they wanted. But they are missing some stuff. I think though, I’m really focussing on the technical aspects. The artistry is refinery a little lack luster. It’s something I’m working on really. It’s reminds of a passage of the book that talks about the difference between a tattooist and a tattoo artist ya know. I’m really trying to transpose my art to tattoo art ya know. Well again thanks for the critique. And the praise.

Viper65

I think your doing just fine, keep up the good work. ;)

ben.catterall
      Participant

I like them. Nice work! Pretty neat lines too. I also see what viper means about the bird though. Can I suggest, if you want the light effect like you say you should try have a cap of white and slowly mix it with the colour as you get to the edge rather than leave it just skin. Would probably have more of a desired effect then. White is great for highlights like that! Otherwise great work! :D

M1k3
      Participant

That’s what I gathered. I havent worked at all with white highlights yet. My artist doesn’t so I haven’t really learned much about it yet so. I’ll give it a try my next color piece. I don’t know how well highlights will work with black and gray. What do you think. Here’s my piece I just got finished with. One of my new faves.

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y493/iPhragg/A73F8CD5-77FE-4F91-87BB-19B8445E8381-526-0000009930633D5D_zpsdd3b8ef4.jpg

ben.catterall
      Participant

@iPhragg wrote:

That’s what I gathered. I havent worked at all with white highlights yet. My artist doesn’t so I haven’t really learned much about it yet so. I’ll give it a try my next color piece. I don’t know how well highlights will work with black and gray. What do you think. Here’s my piece I just got finished with. One of my new faves.

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y493/iPhragg/A73F8CD5-77FE-4F91-87BB-19B8445E8381-526-0000009930633D5D_zpsdd3b8ef4.jpg

Thats pretty good man. A little wonky on some of the lines, especially on the right side of the cross but otherwise nice and neat.

I’m huge fan of white highlights, even on lack and grey. They just give it that extra bit of pop. I would have put some into some of the tips of the rose petals at the lest, and some points on the cross where light would have reflected. Just gotta be carefull of overdoing it with the white. It looks good if you keep it suptle. :D

Here is an example of what i mean. The colour in the rose was all done with the one shade of bright pink and just had white added as it went, also there are whit highlights in certain spots.

I have to admit this is not my tattoo or design. It was done by a professional artist and is on my Fiance’s arm. :lol:

http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0092009/photos/benstattoos/8150376538/

nytemareh
      Participant

some black in the shading and some white highlights would have really gave it a lot more depth. Probably would have taken it to another level. Remember not to be afraid of black in shading. Deep shadows start with black. With that said i like it. very nice effort

TexasPT

I’m going to just say “ditto” to viper’s comments.

I think you are on your way to really putting it all together and throwing down some solid work.

Mark

M1k3
      Participant
      M1k3
      Participant

What y’all think.

ben.catterall
      Participant

@iPhragg wrote:

What y’all think.

pretty good!! good saturation and the line work is very neat. great symetry as well, looks like no blowouts. I dont know what the original looks like so cant really comment on how accurate it is though :lol: nice work though!

TexasPT

That looks awesome, iphragg. One of my biggest struggles is symmetry and you killed it on that one. Of course, being a Texans fan I have to tell you the design itself is shit. :) (kidding…only kidding)

Mark

M1k3
      Participant

Thanks guys. I felt so good when it was done. It looks the tiniest bit off from the original, the face looks a little thinner. My friend says he look younger. Lol. But I was really satisfied. I’m gonna go oner the white. I really want I to pop. T
      And tha thanks again.

M1k3
      Participant
      ben.catterall
      Participant

Pretty damn good man! A blow out near the top and a few thicker lines that don’t belong but only on close inspection. Shading looks pretty good too! IMHO I would have put some darker shading in there too. Don’t be afraid of black shading. The face is a little too light I think. I like it though! Keep up the good work

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan