• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      martin_inxx

What’s up everyone. I’m not new to the “Tattoo world” since i’ve got over 20 pieces and a full-sleeve on myself. However, I am new to picking up
      a machine an learning the tricks of the trade. I’ve been watching countless youtube videos and reading a lot of material. I just finished tattooing my friend tonight and this was the final outcome. I know it’s not perfect and I have a lot to learn, but I just thought I would share it with you all.

ben.catterall
      Participant

Considering it is your first tattoo it is pretty good. Good saturation of colour and reasonably straight line work.

However, (puts on grown up voice :lol: ) I hope you practiced on yourself or practice skin or even fruit first. And are using disposable grips tips and needles. Also, do you know much about blood borne pathogens?

Can I suggest getting the book that is offered by this website. I have read mine about 5-6 times at least and has really helped me progress. :D

Jester
      Participant

X2 on the book. Get the book, you won’t be sorry.

martin_inxx

Thanks ben! Yeah, I’ve been practicing on fake skin, grapefruits, oranges and myself lol. Yes, I am using disposables. They are super cheap and amazing. I started off with a 3rd liner and the lines were so faint, so I switched to a 5RD shader because I didn’t have any other liners but it seemed to do the trick. Where is a link for this book?

ben.catterall
      Participant

@martin_inxx wrote:

Thanks ben! Yeah, I’ve been practicing on fake skin, grapefruits, oranges and myself lol. Yes, I am using disposables. They are super cheap and amazing. I started off with a 3rd liner and the lines were so faint, so I switched to a 5RD shader because I didn’t have any other liners but it seemed to do the trick. Where is a link for this book?

https://www.teachmetotattoo.com/ this is the link to the page you can buy the book. It will also give you access to the tattoo portal which has some good videos and info. Plus they are working on a new site that will be better. :D

As far as the 3rd goes, you have to be careful with such small size needles when starting out. It’s very easy to go to deep or cut the skin up when that small. Looking at the pic I would have gone a 7rd liner. The thicker outline would have given it a bit of an oldschool look. And glad to hear you use disposables! ;)

TexasPT

great first shot…you should be happy with this one.

martin_inxx

@ben.catterall wrote:

@martin_inxx wrote:

https://www.teachmetotattoo.com/ this is the link to the page you can buy the book. It will also give you access to the tattoo portal which has some good videos and info. Plus they are working on a new site that will be better. :D

As far as the 3rd goes, you have to be careful with such small size needles when starting out. It’s very easy to go to deep or cut the skin up when that small. Looking at the pic I would have gone a 7rd liner. The thicker outline would have given it a bit of an oldschool look. And glad to hear you use disposables! ;)

Oh great thanks! As for the 3rd I found it amazing for doing such small detail work. Everyone seems to be using 7RD for beginners I can’t wait to get my hands on one. I found a 5RD Liners and it works amazing on my grapefruit haha.

martin_inxx

@TexasPT wrote:

great first shot…you should be happy with this one.

I’m one of those types of people that want to everything to be perfect. I see a lot of flaws and somethings I could’ve done better, but thank you for the kind words!

M1k3
      Participant

For yOur first tattoo it’s pretty damn good.

Also these guys are right, if you haven’t yet, you damn well better familiarize yourself with blood borne pathogens, cross contamination and preventative measures. Without this knowledge you literally run the risk of killing people, or yourself. The tattoo industry is booming, more now than ever. I would suggest a great deal of that is directly related to the relatively new ideas regarding safety and the standards that tattoo artists uphold. If we don’t continue to adhere to these standards, our community risks facing harsh scrutiny and persecution. Most particularly us “scratchers”.

As far as liners. Stay away from singles and 3r liners. They are dangerous in inexperienced hands, and are only necessary to achieve results you probably aren’t quite ready to hope for just yet. My personal faves are 5r liners. They are great for single pass and even better for sculpting lines, which is what you’ll likely be doing this first year of your journey. 7r are great too, just can’t quite achieve the precision of 5r, but are less likely to blow out. 7r and 9r are great for beginners.

Either way, great work. Keep it up. Just make sure your safe. And get the book. It has lots of good information about, techniques, equipment, professional relationships, shops, and most importantly safety.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan