This topic contains 14 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Jester Ink 4 years, 8 months ago.

  • Author
    Posts
  • #15165
     Jester Ink 
    Participant

    i have the problem getting the ink to stick the first pass. used a 7rl and kokkai sumi ink for it.

  • #22447
     lewy26 
    Member

    you could be moving to fast or you might not be going deep enough. i set my liner so 1/16th of the needle is out when the armature bar is held down then as im start to line i hold at 45 degree angle i aslo hold the tube with tip of my middle finger instead of like how you would hold a pen to write. hope this helps

  • #22448
     Jester Ink 
    Participant

    i’ve tried the whole slow tatting stuff. that’s what it looked like after a second pass. and honestly, i’m not very good at measurements, iv’e set it to 1/16th but i don’t know how to compare that to, so i’m not certain, like the thickness of a dime or what. And i’ll try the 45degree angle next time. and also held it like you mentioned, with the middle finger on the tip. thanks fer the reply and i’ll keep all that in mind.

  • #22449
     Smogman72 
    Member

    THAT ANGLE IS IN LINE WITH THE LINE YOUR PUTTING DOWN NOT OFF TO THE SIDE OF IT LIKE SHADING/COLORING CORRECT? IF ITS TO THE SIDE WOULDNT YOU HAVE MORE OF A CHANCE OF BLOW OUTS????

    JUST CLARIFYING.

  • #22450
     lewy26 
    Member

    yes you would get blowouts go 45 degree inline not to the side

  • #22446
     calquinn 
    Member

    I am self taught ,has been an up hill struggle to find out stuff, such as why your getting thin shifty lines . but if you have tried all the above then your machine needs tweaking as your needles are not going in enough. you have the needle at 1/16 but your machine isn’t pushing it out enough . look on you tube there are videos showing you how to set your needles and machine. this is only in my opinion and I’m no one, I have been TATTOOING for 6 months. didn’t start on fruit or fake skin just my husband.

    The tattoo is of a friend’s calf , my own design. I did this tattoo 4 months into starting tattooing.

  • #22451
     falconier 
    Member

    @lewy26 wrote:

    you could be moving to fast or you might not be going deep enough. i set my liner so 1/16th of the needle is out when the armature bar is held down then as im start to line i hold at 45 degree angle i aslo hold the tube with tip of my middle finger instead of like how you would hold a pen to write. hope this helps

    When you set your needle the 1/16th …do you ride the tube or float the needle?…im just starting out and messed up on my leg but seems to look good on fruite so im seriously doing something and its at a point were im not messing with nothing untill specific questions are answered…lol

  • #22452
     alligator eye 
    Member

    Falconier. I am by no means a top level pro, but I been doing it a little while. I hang my needle out, and “ride” the tip. Hard technique to get a hold of, but I can see the needle, where it’s going, and how deep I am going. I can also now “feel” my depth and drag, etccc… Practice. I hate fruit. Nothing compares to real human skin. Keep in mind that diff parts of the body have different layers of fat and muscle. Be careful… I did one on my hand that made me confident to line anywhere.

  • #22453
     falconier 
    Member

    @alligator eye wrote:

    Falconier. I am by no means a top level pro, but I been doing it a little while. I hang my needle out, and “ride” the tip. Hard technique to get a hold of, but I can see the needle, where it’s going, and how deep I am going. I can also now “feel” my depth and drag, etccc… Practice. I hate fruit. Nothing compares to real human skin. Keep in mind that diff parts of the body have different layers of fat and muscle. Be careful… I did one on my hand that made me confident to line anywhere.

    OK…I like the idea of riding the tip…its allot easier to see what your doing and less messy. I understand that I should be able to fix my screw up once I understand everything.. now, do you , while riding the tip, go in 1/16th of an inch?… i was thinking it is 1/16th riding the tip and 3/32nd riding the tub…im not a fan of putting the tub on the skin because of the mess and the inability to see what your doing. the one i messed up on faded pretty fast and is currently still healing…the lining on it looked decent at one time but seemed to just fade in with the rest and now its almost like i never lned at all…lol. its on right thigh and i also now feel like i just high jacked this thread..sry ill stop

  • #22454
     alligator eye 
    Member

    The depth of needle to apply ink is 1mm or less. I would never bury a needle 1/16. Just practice and “kiss” the line w/ tip and be consistent. Can’t give all my secrets…just keep practicing.

  • #22455
     falconier 
    Member

    @alligator eye wrote:

    The depth of needle to apply ink is 1mm or less. I would never bury a needle 1/16. Just practice and “kiss” the line w/ tip and be consistent. Can’t give all my secrets…just keep practicing.

    HAHAHA!!! In my opinion you just did…ty..benn looking for an answere like that for some time..ty again

  • #22456
     Jester Ink 
    Participant

    since i posted that pic, recently got new needles (7rl) and did a few touch up areas and colored some in. 2 nights ago i added my 11th self tat, today somehow got it snagged and ripped one of the lines and ripped the ink right out, needless to say, it hurt worse than tatting it. all the chattin on this post is perfectly fine with me, lets us know what works and what doesn’t. I have tried riding the tube, but holy crap, ink comes out and blurs what i’m trying to do, and at $7 a oz can’t really afford to waste even the slightest bit of ink. the whole tattoo machine tinkering, i wouldnt know where to start. Stripped down one of them and filed the contact parts and it ran like a dream afterwards.
    Someday when i get time i’ll go through and post up all the tats i’ve done to myself and others (a big no no, but they knew the risk).

  • #22457
     falconier 
    Member

    @jester Ink wrote:

    since i posted that pic, recently got new needles (7rl) and did a few touch up areas and colored some in. 2 nights ago i added my 11th self tat, today somehow got it snagged and ripped one of the lines and ripped the ink right out, needless to say, it hurt worse than tatting it. all the chattin on this post is perfectly fine with me, lets us know what works and what doesn’t. I have tried riding the tube, but holy crap, ink comes out and blurs what i’m trying to do, and at $7 a oz can’t really afford to waste even the slightest bit of ink. the whole tattoo machine tinkering, i wouldnt know where to start. Stripped down one of them and filed the contact parts and it ran like a dream afterwards.
    Someday when i get time i’ll go through and post up all the tats i’ve done to myself and others (a big no no, but they knew the risk).

    I tried riding the tube but like you said its a freaking mess…i hate it i’ve been using just the tip and basically kissing the skin on myself. Im very detailed as instructions go so when someone said kiss the skin..thats what i done…i stretched it good and just lightly touched it…it really didnt work like i thought so i went in just a cunt hair deeper and seemed to work good…ima give it another try for sure…wondering if shading would be the same maybe alittle deeper?

  • #22445
     Jester Ink 
    Participant

    i’ve only shaded 2 of my tats, it isnt really messy to me. the following picture is what i set mine for. i don’t ride the tube tip either, i just (on myself) set my machine for that and go half of that into the skin. my problem is rushing and not getting a first good pass, now i’m slowing down and taking time, less touch ups. for shading i set the same way, just lightly touch the skin and wipe ink off, just to see if its dark enough. i repeat that until i get the correct shade i need.
    i ain’t saying “do it this way or that” it’s just the way i do it and seems to work for me.

  • #22458
     falconier 
    Member

    @jester Ink wrote:

    i’ve only shaded 2 of my tats, it isnt really messy to me. the following picture is what i set mine for. i don’t ride the tube tip either, i just (on myself) set my machine for that and go half of that into the skin. my problem is rushing and not getting a first good pass, now i’m slowing down and taking time, less touch ups. for shading i set the same way, just lightly touch the skin and wipe ink off, just to see if its dark enough. i repeat that until i get the correct shade i need.
    i ain’t saying “do it this way or that” it’s just the way i do it and seems to work for me.

    Thats about 1/16th of an inch hanging out, correct? and yes thats the way mines set up for the most part… well i should say about a nickels worth hanging out as well as a nickel gap between contact screww and front spring…
    I have a natical star i lined last night and today i was messing aroung with shading and realized my leg with my star so i started to shade it with a 5RS…big mistake…i think it was set to fast or something but i ate the sht outa the area i was working…i I just stoped…gonna wait till everything is healed good before even thinking about messing with it…lol

  • #22459
     Jester Ink 
    Participant

    the nickel/dime gap. i use one machine set a dimes gap for linening and the other machine set at a nickel gap for shading/coloring. i havent had probs, just gotta use a 7rs or a 5rs, pretty much round shaders for coloring, just the way i do it, or a 7 mag. To answer the other, i do not know what the needle is set in the pic, i just eyeball it, set the needle the length that looks safer. as i’ve stated, i’m notta pro nor claim to be. if i’m doing anything wrong, please let me know.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©2017 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan

Log in with your credentials

Forgot your details?