• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      pandapuffz

I wanted to know if anyone knew where decent, but not too expencive machines could be found. I would like some thing simple that I can look at and try to figuire out while learning from a teacher.

I’ve been looking around at different sites online at the different machines and the like. My boyfriend said for Xmas would get a machine to help me start off tattooing.

I have to pick it out. which at first would seem just fine, except I don’t know what would be decent for such a novice. The more I learn the scarier and more difficult to pick something out it becomes. I know I should be getting an apprenticeship and learn everything, but I also would love to know if It’s right for me before I stumble into shops asking if they do apprentiseships and if my portfolio is decent enough for them.

((I’ve gone into many majors in college from fine arts to english education to asian studies so I want to feel it out before putting too much money into it.))

Jose
      Participant

well best thing i could tell you is, do the homework!!! You could pretty much get a starters kit anywhere online. Get your self familiar with the equipment first. Don’t have your boyfriend spend too much money on something you my have sencond thoughts on. A tattoo gun is not the same as a paintbrush. Find the lightest tattoo gun you could find, make sure it doesn’t have too much bling on it. You want something easy to clean before and after you’re done using it. The more simple the machine is, the easier you’ll understand it. Practice on your boyfriend or anyone you know that won’t sue you. lol. You gotta have something to show for when you go in front of some artist so they take you seriously. But before you think of picking up a tattoo machine you need to strongly learn about sterilizing, blood bourne pathogens, sanitary stuff and all that good stuff. this is one of the best places to get info. the guy that runs this forum is a smart cookie he could help you out with some tough questions. good luck.

This site is where I purchased an awesome compilation of gear that works excellent for starting, with quality that satisfies professionals; the power source, clip, needles, tubes, tattoo machine, anything and everything you need. The quality is great, but the price isn’t too steep. What I liked about mix and matching was that I got to choose the quality of all my equipment and didn’t have to chance it as I would by purchasing an entire starter kit. I had to do my research though to see what equipment fits together. I found an 8 wrap liner shader that is to die for, and it was only $85 cnd. So if you want, browse the site!

http://www.worldwidetattoo.ca/tattoo-products/tattoo-machines-and-parts

note; this site requires you to be a pro to purchase from.

Get creative!

Nightliner
      Participant

There’s a girl named lisa kylin who sells on ebay (kylin tattoo machines). Well she’s from china, but don’t get scared cuz its from china. The machines are made in iron, brass, bronze, and damascus steel. I recommend the bronze machines. Her machines run from around 50 – 75.00 each. Now most of the crap that comes out of china is really poor quality, but this girl has a connection for some really decent machines. And not just because the price is so low. I really thing that once more people start buying her machines that the price is going to go really high. I think they are probably worth somewhere around 200.00 -275.00 range right now. So, I would get one of hers if I were you, you won’t be disappointed. The 20979S/L is a shader / liner set for $139.00. It’s for sell on ebay right now. Take a look. anyway, good luck with your search.[attachment=0:kfbvdamj]kylin.jpg[/attachment:kfbvdamj]

Mark

Those machines look pretty stellar. Just make sure you choose one that is the right weight. You’ll get used to it, but you don’t want to start with something thats way heavy; usually the weight of the machine is posted, if not make sure to ask.

Okay, not too sure if any of you have read my first book, Basic Fundamentals of Modern Tattoo.. but I will kinda try to recap somethings in the book here:
      The Best Cheap Tattoo Machines, in my opinion – for a beginner…

Buy a Superior “Light Touch” or “Soft Touch” it is like $80.00
      Then replace the Coils with “Pulse” shorty 8 wraps. (read the book to get more info about coils and caps and machine setups) $30.00 or so
      Then replace the springs with Eikon True Spring setups. ($30 – $40 I think) read the book to see details about tuning and spring setups.. a whole chapter on this..

You will need a GOOD power supply – this is the key…
      I prefer Pulse power supply…
      Eikon EMS is not bad – I have played with a few versions of it –
      I am NOT into the digital readouts – or the “measurements”
      I also have found that “pulse” power supply has a little more punch.

Do NOT think you can get a cheap tattoo machine (not cheap price, but cheap quality) and have a good power supply and be okay.
      Do NOT think you can get a cheap power supply and an expensive or high quality machine and be okay.

It is a balancing act.

Also the BEST disposable tubes I have used are from kingpin – hands down – the blue ones….GET THEM!
      and NO they have not paid me to say this!

Pulse, Eikon, and Kingpin will require you to be an apprentice at a REAL tattoo studio –
      but you will be starting off on the right foot.

Hope this helps!
      -CR Jordan
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/toprockertattoowebsite/sets/72157622124564142/

PS – sorry I have been away from email and forums lately.
      I am in Afghanistan with the US Marines right now –
      but I promise I am finishing up the New book while I am out here in my spare time.
      I am also going to send out a special link to everyone who bought the Basic Fundamentals of Modern Tattoo – with a ton of stuff, pictures ect ect.
      Will be on the Members Portal: http://www.TeachMeToTattoo.com/portal

This website will grow very fast next year when i am back in the states and we have a TON of projects going on.. if you want to learn how to tattoo, this will be the place to go to get good information.

Thank you all for staying with us.
      If you bought Basic Fundamentals of Modern Tattoo – please post a review on Amazon.com – and spread the word!

Hello
      I am a novice tattoo artist… I purchased a machine off ebay called a Hoodlum for under $100 and they work great!!! If you want to spend closer to $200 I would recommend getting a Micky sharpz off ebay…

Blake

You dont have to be a pro to purchase from worldwide tattoo if you go to the warehouse in city of industry but its in southern california….

xDreamerx
      Participant

Canvas…I actually tested out that Soft Touch frame with some good gear, nice and light. Infact its a part of my backup machines that I trust now, love the low weight on it. Doesnt absorb shock as much as I like but for soft cordial pieces…..love it. So yeah its a great machine to start someone off with. Or even replace all the parts with quality and use it as work horse (within reason).

DuchessCCC

I am real new but I was told a Mack tattoo machine was good can anyone give me a opinion please

Viper65

Never heard of the Mack Machine, but that means nothing, there are hundreds of builders out there. I did do a google search and came up with Seth Ciferri / Alex Mack shader…if that be the case, i doubt they will even sell to you if your not a shop artist and able to provide proof.

There is post in this thread about a Ebay seller named Kylin..I think those are good machines,Ive heard a few other comment on them, for the money you cant really go wrong. Also, I myself like the hildebrandts..again, you cant go wrong, they work good, cost effective, and when you have enough to purchase those Danny Fowler’s then you do it.

TyCrawford

note; this site requires you to be a pro to purchase from.”

World wide Tattoo is local to vancouver and I shop there all the time without a proffesional licence. but it may depend on your state. here in vancouver bc there is no laws around tattooing but if you have a shop you have to go by health standards.

@Nightliner wrote:

There’s a girl named lisa kylin who sells on ebay (kylin tattoo machines). Well she’s from china, but don’t get scared cuz its from china. The machines are made in iron, brass, bronze, and damascus steel. I recommend the bronze machines. Her machines run from around 50 – 75.00 each. Now most of the crap that comes out of china is really poor quality, but this girl has a connection for some really decent machines. And not just because the price is so low. I really thing that once more people start buying her machines that the price is going to go really high. I think they are probably worth somewhere around 200.00 -275.00 range right now. So, I would get one of hers if I were you, you won’t be disappointed. The 20979S/L is a shader / liner set for $139.00. It’s for sell on ebay right now. Take a look. anyway, good luck with your search.[attachment=0:2jv2luc1]kylin.jpg[/attachment:2jv2luc1]

Mark

No offense – but things from china should be no more than $80 on the HIGH side.. and $5 on the low side!!!
      best of luck looking for tattoo machines on the cheap!!
      sometimes you get lucky w/ cheap ones.. sometimes you just blow your money!

I am still working on books/DVDs and other tattoo stuff guys!! I promise! I just have a day job now too!!! hang in there all of you guys who want to learn how to tattoo! and become tattoo artists!!!

@TyCrawford wrote:

note; this site requires you to be a pro to purchase from.”

World wide Tattoo is local to vancouver and I shop there all the time without a proffesional licence. but it may depend on your state. here in vancouver bc there is no laws around tattooing but if you have a shop you have to go by health standards.

Yeah I don’t think WWWT2 requires license. I will ask the guys there for you!

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan