• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
      JDawnPearls

Now, I am starting to practice the different themes or genres that I come across. I know that a bad ass portrait of a sexy woman can be done with lots of time and patience, but I’m practicing the 1-day only (if I can keep my kids off my book) Pin-Up tattoo sketches.

Here is the first. (P.S. I know she isn’t perfect, but that is what practice is for). Give me an idea – what kind of pin up do you want to see??

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=566864153348623&set=a.540884175946621.1073741826.540882952613410&type=1&theater

Infamous
      Participant

Well, you’re definitely off to a good start. My biggest critique is the pose you put her in, it is very bleh. If her arm wasn’t just dangling it would be a lot better.. And her other arm just completely disappeared, So I have to assume its just dangling loosely at her side as well. Pin-up needs a certain energy and a little bit of eroticism, this just doesn’t have that.

Lennart82
      Participant

For your first go at a pinup, its not bad.
      But as Infamous says, it needs a bit more..hmmm Energy, a bit more; Hallo big boy….-ish :P
      The pose of her body is good, her arms well…. An idea could be, having her mess around her hair. ;) Giving her a more vivid feeling to her. ;)

JDawnPearls

Thanks!!! I will get to another.

JDawnPearls

Ok so I already know where my mistakes are – this pin up thing isn’t easy … because with a pencil its all nice, then you do the pen and BAM its fudged. While I was putting in the color I decided to tackle the “old school” of dark lines. Even though this has a bit of f— up in it, I still like it better than the last. Give me a new idea!!!!! I WANNA DRAW!!

Actually, I’m headed up to my studio to quietly learn about my new machine.

But here is the pic

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=567125063322532&set=a.540884175946621.1073741826.540882952613410&type=1&theater

Cheers!

JDawnPearls

@Lennart82 wrote:

For your first go at a pinup, its not bad.
      But as Infamous says, it needs a bit more..hmmm Energy, a bit more; Hallo big boy….-ish :P
      The pose of her body is good, her arms well…. An idea could be, having her mess around her hair. ;) Giving her a more vivid feeling to her. ;)

SHoot I didn’t read about the hair until after this one. I think next time I might go more Lucy on my girl’s hair.

Infamous
      Participant

Yeah that one is much better! But the face looks like a caricature :/

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

they look really good :D
      the only thing I’d say you need to work on is the faces
      this is why I draw zombies :D

JDawnPearls

I agree with the faces, they tend to be tough. When I draw / paint a face its not a problem. As soon as I make an outline (pen), it looks jacked up. I have some gorgeous portraits in oil, but give me a pin up and BAM it sucks. Its like WTF? But – time for another one!

JDawnPearls

This is “off topic” but I wanted to share the latest tattoo from the artist I admire the most.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=495782427182683&set=a.491277557633170.1073741825.187228534704742&type=1&theater

Shane O’Neil.

angie

dear god!! this one is just wow! awesome!

Lennart82
      Participant

Faces are tough, especially when they are in those seizes. One little wring line, and you have a cartoon.
      But a pinup, old school, is more or less cartoony.
      Just dont overdue the facial lines, as In famous said, it looks like a caricature ;)
      But the body is great :D

Off topic…
      THATS AN AMAZING PIECE… WAOW……. Mind blown :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock:

JDawnPearls

So far this is the black and white sketch, how they have al been starting. But I wanted to show this stage. I may just add some contrast and “pop” color instead of re-doing what I’ve done…. being that this is better than the other two… but here you go. The traditional pin up.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201841295820811&set=o.540882952613410&type=1&theater

Cheers.

JDawnPearls

You mean from Shane O-Neil….?? YEAH – THAT is who I look up to, I’m telling you. He works in New Jersey and I nearly had an appointment to get a tattoo from him – only, I got pregnant and couldn’t afford it anyway. A full back was going to cost around $3000.00…..

Lennart82
      Participant

You are getting better an better at those pinups :D I really like this one :D

3.000$ for a full back :shock: (Jaws just dropped……… ANd I mean totally dropped :o :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: ) I NEED to get a tattoo from America… I mean, all that money I save can be used for first class, five star hotels, if I fly to America and get tattoed. :shock:

Its considered CHEAP if you pay 8.000$ for a full back piece….. And then you should be prepared for work thats five steps below Mr. Shane O-Neil…..

MAN :shock: (I will need to spend 1.300$ on a flight to New York included 4 nights at a hotel. And then 3.000 for a small/medium backpiece tattoo done by Shane O-Neil, And then I will still have 3.700 of pocket money……… :shock: )

JDawnPearls

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=567449203290118&set=a.540884175946621.1073741826.540882952613410&type=1&theater

This is the same picture, I used a finer pen to outline only what I would theoretically outline for a stencil… then used colored pencil very carefully.

Did the pen F— up the face again?

JDawnPearls

@Lennart82 wrote:

You are getting better an better at those pinups :D I really like this one :D

3.000$ for a full back :shock: (Jaws just dropped……… ANd I mean totally dropped :o :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: ) I NEED to get a tattoo from America… I mean, all that money I save can be used for first class, five star hotels, if I fly to America and get tattoed. :shock:

Its considered CHEAP if you pay 8.000$ for a full back piece….. And then you should be prepared for work thats five steps below Mr. Shane O-Neil…..

MAN :shock: (I will need to spend 1.300$ on a flight to New York included 4 nights at a hotel. And then 3.000 for a small/medium backpiece tattoo done by Shane O-Neil, And then I will still have 3.700 of pocket money……… :shock: )

It was per session, sorry. My piece wasn’t entirely a full back that I wanted, more like 3/4 since I have tattoos on the shoulder blades already. But yeah – its an hourly rate, so it all depends on the tattoo itself, what the guy can manage with the time But seeing his work is OUTSTANDING…. yeah …. No, I got another quote from a non-famous artist for $800 on the same piece. But right now I am still searching for an artist on that piece and will get another quote from the artist I locally admire, next year. I’m having him do a smaller one first – to see how he is. …. I’ll let you know!!

Come fly over to me and we will go get tattooed together!! Hahahah!!

Lennart82
      Participant

Thats going great with the fine pen :D

@JDawnPearls wrote:

It was per session, sorry. My piece wasn’t entirely a full back that I wanted, more like 3/4 since I have tattoos on the shoulder blades already. But yeah – its an hourly rate, so it all depends on the tattoo itself, what the guy can manage with the time But seeing his work is OUTSTANDING…. yeah …. No, I got another quote from a non-famous artist for $800 on the same piece. But right now I am still searching for an artist on that piece and will get another quote from the artist I locally admire, next year. I’m having him do a smaller one first – to see how he is. …. I’ll let you know!!

Come fly over to me and we will go get tattooed together!! Hahahah!!

Ahhhh, but still a good price anyways :D

Uhhh getting a tattoo together, then we could take art during the needle stabbing hahahhahaha

einvalentine
      Participant

The guys pretty much covered it with the first two. The girl in the sailor hat is wonderfully done, but seems to have lost her emotion from the pencil to the pen. Instead of lining all of her facial features, only do some of them… especially the lips. The first drawing made her look as if her top teeth were showing, which I thought was very effective! Try lining only the inside of the mouth, and just the outer 2/3-3/4 of the eyes (maybe add a few tiny eyelashes?). And try not to extend the pupil all the way to the corner of the eye. You are making excellent progress with these!!! :D

JDawnPearls

@einvalentine wrote:

The guys pretty much covered it with the first two. The girl in the sailor hat is wonderfully done, but seems to have lost her emotion from the pencil to the pen. Instead of lining all of her facial features, only do some of them… especially the lips. The first drawing made her look as if her top teeth were showing, which I thought was very effective! Try lining only the inside of the mouth, and just the outer 2/3-3/4 of the eyes (maybe add a few tiny eyelashes?). And try not to extend the pupil all the way to the corner of the eye. You are making excellent progress with these!!! :D

Many Thanks!!!! This is good suggestion. It was off a guide, not my original idea – the eyes in the guide were completely in the corners to “look at you” I guess.

Jbeaufosho

Your shading is basically perfect. I’m a pretty harsh critic but every criticism i had seemed pretty nit-picky so im gonna just leave it at good work. I can tell by this drawing that you’re a fundamentally good artist and that’s what makes a good piece in my book. I would be interested if you had a free minute to check out my shit and let me know what you think. I think I titled the post ‘a few selections’ or something stupid like that.

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan