Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Atchitol

I’ve heard somthing about plastic wrap on a fresh tattoo, bad things. Like the moist area is a breeding ground for bacteria. Is this someone talking shit? Or is this a valid point? It sounds right but not sure . Can anyone shed some light on this idea?

Viper65

…………..my take, Ive only seen plastic utilized on VERY LARGE areas. The entire point of wrapping it in my opinion is to provide some barrier protection until you get home. Most folks will tell you take off the bandage after 1 hour and wash the tattoo with warm water and soap, pat dry, blah, blah ,blah. The only time i have used plastic wrap was for an area that was large like a back piece that would have taken tons of bandages..and even then it was removed in and hours time.

Only my opinion, Im not the expert.

TexasPT

I’ve heard, and reserve my right to be wrong, that the plastic wrap was utilized initially so the client could see their tattoo and wouldn’t keep pulling the bandage to show their friends.

New tattoos weep…so having something absorbent rather than plastic would make sense. Otherwise band aids wouldn’t have those air holes and cotton on them…they’d just be saran wrap.

Randy5
      Participant

I’ve heard this as well without any medical reference. It makes sense, but who the hell would keep it on so long that it would cause a problem!

Viper65

Oh…you know, your basic run-of-the-mill dumbasses.

:lol:

buttchinbart

I only wrap mine usually the first 2 days at work. My day job isn’t the cleanest place in the world. I keep the plastic wrap on so I don’t have to worry about anything crazy getting on or into the fresh ink. At home or anywhere else, I don’t really bother with it. I guess that method works best for me anyway.

Tarantula

Plastic wrap is probably the worst thing you can use to cover a tattoo, it sweats, all the serum and blood still leaking from the tat heats up and becomes a breeding ground for bacteria. The main reason people use it is so Mr. Firsttattoo can look at it on the way home without taking the protection off and getting infected within the first few minutes. If you can get the client to sit around for half an hour and have a cup of coffee before leaving most of the weeping will be finished and using plastic wrap won’t be quite so bad.
      Wounds need air to heal properly so plastic is a really bad idea, gauze is good and even folded up kitchen towel is better than plastic. Problem is when you put plastic wrap on a tattoo you don’t know how long that person is going to keep it on, maybe they have several hours before they get home and a chance to take it off and wash the tat…

Atchitol

Thank you tarantula, this is along the lines of what I have heard about it. Not eveyone has common sense. I have seen some people wrap there ink up the next day in that crap…. Ick

wrathone11
      Participant

Tarantula has the right idea, if you can get them to sit and wait for about thirty minutes plastic wrap shouldn’t be a problem. Once the customer leave the shop you have no control of how long they have that wrap on, that’s why we give them care sheets and tell them what to do before they leave. Wrapping a tattoo for days after getting it I wouldn’t recommend unless the person is working in an area that it could get a bunch of crap in it. Plastic wrap is cheap and easy to use as a barrier and and think that’s why so many folks use it. I’ve used both plastic wrap or folded paper towel and I always emphasize “don’t keep this on more than and hour and wash it gently when you take it off, read the care sheet.”

A trick I use to keep them around until it stops bleeding or weeping plasma is to get to my stop point and tell them we’re going to take a break. I’ll tell them it’s to let it sit for a minute and I’ll go outside and grab a cigarette. When I get back in I’ll study it for a few minutes then take a few pictures and just talk with them. That will normally keep them around about 30 minutes after I’ve finished and then I can wrap it and I’m not really worried about a lot of bleeding or weeping. A one part witch hazel 10 parts water mix in a wash bottle will give you a wash that will calm that tattooed area down when you’re finished and cleaning it up.

suvla

i usually keep my plastic wrap on me for a hour, let it air out over night after a nice washing , i also use bepanthem on mine as i fine its amazing stuff, when i go to work i usually wrap it back up in film just for a few hours then was then re-wrap dont really fancy getting hydraulic fluid and jet engine fuel over a fresh tattoo, in a ideal world i would probably heal it alot different but this seems to be ok and ive got a fair amount of ink on the go at the moment that has all healed nicely and looks awsome! :D . i have seen some artists send some clients out with a black wrap sort of thing , but i have no idea what it is , could someone enlighten me please

flytattoo

All my reading have gone into that i wrap…
      Hey what you have done is make a wound on pepole…. So take care of it and i have never had anyone having infection….
      Plus i have printed out tattoo after care that i have made after reading about like 400 aftercare on tattoo sites…..

Tatu-Derm and Troll Skin

The whole factor of cover it in my view is to offer some hurdle security until you get home. Most people will tell you take off the bandage after 1 time and clean the body art with heated soapy water, pat dry, blah, blah ,blah. The only time i have used nasty cover was for an place that was huge like a back item that would have taken plenty of bandages.

longroad

Plastic wrap is a disaster waiting to happen! Being an invasive procedure it is a wound and needs to always be treated as such. Anytime the body is wounded it will do its natural thing and bleed and seep. Part of this process of seepage is why a tattoo stays there instead of being carried away by the bodies natural foreign entity process. The body is sending blood to the wound as the foreign entity (ink) is there and it wants to was it out of the system. Basically the tattoo is an infection and the body is just trying to get rid of it. Being the tattoo ink is made so that the particles can not be carried away, the body isolates the tattoo and holds it there to isolate the infection. This whole process needs to breath in order for healing to occur properly. Right after the tattoo is done is the point at which the body is doing the most work that it can so there is seepage. They make bandages that can be used with the help of medical tape that allow the wound to breath as it needs to so freaking use them. for those worried about dirt… Wash that Rascal!!!!

leena

My tattoo artist covered my newly inked tat with sterile gauze and taped saran wrap around it. The saran wrap holds the gauze in place because it sticks to your skin. It’s purpose is to prevent the tattoo, which is basically an open wound, from becoming infected by keeping dirt out. Keeping it covered also prevents you from scratching at it.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan