• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      artist2k12

this is the lining of a pistol im doing,the lines are some what blotchy and there are small blowouts here and there.
      i used no angle when penetrating the skin,i read somewhere in another thread that there should be an angle as ink is pushed into the skin.i held the machine straight up,
      trying to avoid the needle hanging up in the skin(maybe this is a tuning issue).

i went over the original line(5rl) with a (9rl) to try to improve and tried not to go as deep,still ended up with some blotchy or blow out.
      another question refering to “pushing” at an angle,what i need to know is if draging the machine is not proper technique to get the job done?
      in other words,pushing rather than pulling.like i stated, i used a straight up and down method w/ the machine.

I am going to begin the coloring later today.will post pic as i finish.

i am using the hildbrandt machines from the pro kit sold online.came with one liner and two shaders.

thanks plz help.

cjmahone66

in my experience, if your needles are hanging up in the skin then your machines are likely running a little slow or too deep. or both.
      when setting needle depth, try to error on the side of shallow. the end result may fallout, but you can always put more ink in later. versus if you’re too deep, you can’t take ink out- obviously.

the best advice i can give you is- GET SOME PIG SKIN. practicing on pigskin will help you tune your machines and figure out the right needle depth settings. this will of course help keep you from hanging up in the skin. most agree that the best way to learn to tattoo is by official apprenticeship, but if that is not an option for you, then you need to be smart and reduce the variables as much as possible. reducing variables when working on human skin means working out little kinks (like hanging needs) in pig skin.

you’ve taken one smart step already by asking for help. keep asking and be smart about this and you will get there eventually. cheers.

destructo

try setting it somewhat shallow and work off your tip. as a rule of thumb i always use a 45 degree angle… just my 2 cnts

artist2k12

@cjmahone66 wrote:

in my experience, if your needles are hanging up in the skin then your machines are likely running a little slow or too deep. or both.
      when setting needle depth, try to error on the side of shallow. the end result may fallout, but you can always put more ink in later. versus if you’re too deep, you can’t take ink out- obviously.

the best advice i can give you is- GET SOME PIG SKIN. practicing on pigskin will help you tune your machines and figure out the right needle depth settings. this will of course help keep you from hanging up in the skin. most agree that the best way to learn to tattoo is by official apprenticeship, but if that is not an option for you, then you need to be smart and reduce the variables as much as possible. reducing variables when working on human skin means working out little kinks (like hanging needs) in pig skin.

you’ve taken one smart step already by asking for help. keep asking and be smart about this and you will get there eventually. cheers.

THANKS cj,i do have the practice skin,it came with the kit.
      i do want to learn by apprenticeship,i believe its the best way,im just wondering what the artist at the studio expects from someone like myself out looking to learn?
      do i just call around town to different studios and ask if they provide this?

artist2k12

@destructo wrote:

try setting it somewhat shallow and work off your tip. as a rule of thumb i always use a 45 degree angle… just my 2 cnts

thanks destructo! I will absolutely practice this,and that is ALWAYS pushing,correct?..never pulling?
      is the same angle recommended in coloring/shading?

destructo

push if your a beginner. pull sideways whatever. you can sculpt the lines by learning to manipulate your angle and draw. But for a beginner i would just push all of your lines to make them crisp

cjmahone66

@artist2k12 wrote:

@cjmahone66 wrote:

THANKS cj,i do have the practice skin,it came with the kit.
      i do want to learn by apprenticeship,i believe its the best way,im just wondering what the artist at the studio expects from someone like myself out looking to learn?
      do i just call around town to different studios and ask if they provide this?

i never had any luck with that practice skin. you might as well tattoo on old car tires. it’s doesn’t feel anything like real skin to me. i learned much better with pigskin. you can get nice flat pieces of pigskin at most butchers/grocers. then you can try pig feet which present their own challenge because of the shape which will strengthen your hands. i got my pig feet at the chinease market for really cheap. just make sure to wash it well and pat it dry real good. make sure to use all proper medical/sanitation practices, try and get into good habits early.

as far as apprenticeships, i’m really not the one to ask because i didnt do one. but i would think that most would hang up on you if you called their shop asking about it. you need to get to know someone well (get tattooed by them) and build a relationship. then start with asking them for help with your art. remember- they are tattooing to make a living so be mindful of their time and dont waste it. cheers.

destructo

as far as practice skin goes, there is 2 types. Moms ink it, sucks, overpriced, does not tattoo anything like real skin. The 2nd is the cheap chinese crap on ebay. This on the other hand tattooes readily and you can make great artwork on it. But it does not on the other hand behave like real skin. Tattoo needles on this stuff seem to melt it like gas on styrofoam. I say its crap because its made in chine but its actually fun stuff that will help build your confidence and strenghten your hands. I also like to make stuff out of it, like binding flashbooks,portfolios in it then tattoo allover it.. The trick is to not use greensoap to clean it off but use petroleum jelly. Hope this hellps,

Troub1edSou1z
      Participant

@artist2k12 wrote:

@destructo wrote:

thanks destructo! I will absolutely practice this,and that is ALWAYS pushing,correct?..never pulling?
      is the same angle recommended in coloring/shading?

you can push, or pull your lines. whatever you feel comfortable with doing. you have to broaden your horizons. if you stick to 1 thing you wont get anywhere.
      also when lining hold your machine at between 60-80 degrees, and 45-60 degrees when shading or fill. you want your outline deeper then your shading to hold everything together. when pushing or pulling you want the tip of the tube facing the direction you going……..

artist2k12

thanks everyone.i am practicing.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan