• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      kissfreak09

i noticed one of the hardest thing for me is figuring out a price to charge them, i know it depends on the size, placement, number of colors, and detail of the peice. but i never know if im screwing myself out of money, or if im overcharging them. any input will help, thanks

starterkit44

yeah i have that problem too…..when i start iam like ok it will cost this but by time iam done i be like damn i should of got more!!!!! but i do it mainly for the love of the art forum so its ok its realy not about the money to me intill i go and get more spls iam like damn this shit aint cheap…….

jcarmack
      Participant

Here’s a rule of thumb that I use. You’re in it to make money and also be able to tattoo the next client. As a base I charge the cost of the materials to tattoo the client x3 (times 3) that way you’re paying for the supplies used and buying essentially the supplies to do two more clients. This will help you build up your tattoo supplies. Next depending upon how detailed, large, etc., it is you can begin to assess the value of your time. As a rule of thumb I try to charge within means and within the scope of competing shops in the area. You can shop around for yourself and determine how much they are charging. Also, if they come in wanting a large piece I would make them make an appointment and place a deposit. Your time is money and if they don’t show they forfeit their deposit. I’ve got a buddy and just to get an appointment with him the starting price is $500 and goes up from there for his work. He’s a well established artist though and his work is in high demand.

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

a rule of thumb i use to judge time is my fist! each fist i can fit into the design is one hour. :)

Jester Ink
      Participant

i’ve also wondered this too. but, since i’m a “scratcher” can i even charge at all? i mean, i’m litterally using money for food and instead investing in tat supplies, and in return, no pay off. guess it’s why people come to me for tattoos is it got around “i know a guy who does it free”. where i’m located, the nearest tat shop is 1 1/2 hrs away and another “scratcher” located across the street. i usually hear griping all the time about how she got screwed over and didnt get paid for her work, the whole time i’m thinking ” charge half up front, the rest when it’s finished”.

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

i usually get full price up front
      and just be modest with your pricing
      i have a 30$ set up fee [price for three clients minimum] and then 20$/hr affter that
      so 1hr is 50$ 2 is 70$ etc etc etc
      as long as you arent greedy youll be in good shape :)
      i make just enough to cover supplies, and no tmuch else, and im fine with that :D

benedictjohn
      Participant

Maybe you need to ask other artist with your problem. Market price is your standard so you can estimate your price reasonably. Well, there is a more complicated problem. Carrying a heavy debt burden is never fun, although there is the debtor’s age.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan