• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

thank you again for the feedback and this is the question more directly that’s stumping me.

for example when I see an intricate dragon image with all the tight detail etc wrapping all around the shoulder and arm how did the pro tat artist get it on the body without a stencil of some sort. is it that artists simply look at the design on paper and then begin to draw free hand onto the skin. that would take quite a long time considering it is already drawn well on paper.

I’m wanting to create a geometric polynesian tat for the upper thigh and have simply been wondering how a pro would get all the perfect lines to “line up” correctly as the design on paper won’t more than be exactly correct when the design is applied to the body.

I’m wondering if will the pro tat artist will look at the design and then free hand draw with a skin marker the entire design onto the skin? If so, does the pro use a type of ruler that bends well with the body curve?

Very stumped on this question.

truly thankful for any feedback

I just saw a great response to this question in my email right after i posted this question. Thank you so much for the idea of parchment paper. tracing paper definately did not do any justice for body curve design.

appreciate it

xDreamerx
      Participant

Dragons and larger pieces are drawn on. I would draw the Japanese dragon on the skin freehand if they wanted one that big. It will allow you more control over the design when you draw it on skin, plus it will help you when your tattooing cause you’ll be familiar with the design already since you drew it on already. You’ll be familiar with the curves and details and positioning etc.

much appreciation. thanks again

hey when i was still in an apprenticeship one of the artist there would completely free hand the whole dragon he started with a ruff shape with a light colour marker like yellow then used darker shades and colours to add detail

another artist at would draw out the head and arms, make a stencil of them, place the head on the body then free hand the body and final add the arms an legs changing them if it needed it

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan