• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      mber

A friend of mine gave me an opportunity to give him a tattoo, i drew this up and he liked it, he then gave me a discount on the car i was buying from him. This is one of my first tattoos and would appreciate any advice.

Not bad for some of your first work.
      If it was flash, then I am sure you got pretty close to the flash image.
      Some things to think about when tattooing:

1.) Try not to slap an image on someone – alone… meaning you dont want to put a plain scorpion symbol on someones arm (most the time) try to get a whole piece going. In art school you learn that most new artists forget to fill in the background – they focus too much on the focal point. Try to create a “scene” not just an “image”

2.) You do not always have to outline – will get some good effects without the outline.

3.) black and grey with a few specs of color, might seem like a cool idea when you are starting out – but it is kind of cheesy in actuality – try to stick with all grey or all color…

4.) work on smoother gradients – different shading techniques like grey wash, and true grey pigment (have been outlined in Basic Fundamentals of Modern Tattoo)

Overall its not a bad tattoo at all – I have seen far worse. Good piece, and it had some complex problems (like trying to shadde in the claws – where the area is tight, and trying to get the outline perfect on such a diverse shape) very good execution – could see some minor areas where the shading looked like the old school way of using a mag or a flat – side to side and scratchy… but that comes with time.

Remember you have to use disposable tubes and tips if you are not using an autoclave on your tubes and tips!
      An Apprenticeship will help your art grow leaps and bounds rapidly – and provide you with instant feedback in the studio… keep on trying!

https://www.teachmetotattoo.com/wiki
      (check out the new Wiki)

mber

thanks for the input, not really flash, the guy look thru one of my books and picked a solid black scorp about the size of a nickle and i improvised the rest. i didnt want to put the red in there because i thought it would be cheezy to but it was his idea and his arm, i did convince him not to put the year he graduated in tail loop.

haha..
      nice –
      thats one of the age old arguments –
      how much pressure shoudl you put on a client to get them to do something that is not “cheesy”
      you want to do your art – but you also want to please the client –
      its 1 part talent, 1 part salesman, 1 part customer service, 1 part compromise…

keep up the good work
      best of luck

Porkchop

@mber wrote:

thanks for the input, not really flash, the guy look thru one of my books and picked a solid black scorp about the size of a nickle and i improvised the rest. i didnt want to put the red in there because i thought it would be cheezy to but it was his idea and his arm, i did convince him not to put the year he graduated in tail loop.

HAHA…I hate it when a client tries to tell me what will look good in their skin.

HAHA…I hate it when a client tries to tell me what will look good in their skin.

Yeah it is a balance though. Have to try to Nudge clients more than be abrasive.
      Find the balance in providing options versus just doing what they want or just doing what you want.
      You know?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan