• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      WERWOLF

what’s the secret of a real flat and glassy grey washed ? which ink ? which tip ? power ‘s voltage ? THxs ++

flat and glassy grey wash –
      requires a good grey wash mix
      also you should check out bug pin needles
      you shoud also not rely on specofic volatage
      voltage is determined by machine setup
      no single type of voltage will get you a specific setup for grey wash
      also there are different styles
      ie using white pigments
      or just diluting black pigments w/ alcohol
      you should check out basic fundamentals of modern tattoo (the book) http://www.teachmetotattoo.com
      it will have more information – and get you access to the members portal – where you can discuss advanced topics
      best of luck!

Inksane Gina

For b&g I prefer a mid stroke machine that can put solid color in but you can also do soft, wispy shading. Since black and gray is “softer”, I go with a bigger but looser curved and woven Mag, used sort of like a paint brush. Call me spoiled but I prefer premixed gray washes, like Silver Back, for their consistency. I also prefer the lowest voltage possible so you can get the shades in without over-working the skin. With mid-stroke (slower machine) and low voltage (softer hit) you should get smoother gradients, instead of that “peppered” look.

What current set up (machine, needles, ink, etc…) are you using for black and gray?

voodoo

Are u using the eikon train of thought regarding speed?^^

i get decent results ustilizing a mickey sharpz iron dial, 7 – 15 mags , rounded is good, but flats work just as well, kuro sumi ink, and a couple premixed lighter shades, and a couple cups of water. and then theres the tech, technique is something u have to learn on your own, everyone does shit a little different.

Nightliner
      Participant

Voltage isn’t what you should be controlling your machine speed with. Spring gauge, and tuning, i.e. hz determine speed. I run most of my b&G machines at between 90 and 110 hzs at 45-55 duty cycle. 16 ga. rear spring for grey washs, and 18ga. for color. I run my liners at around 130 -145hz.

I mix a soft mid tone black in a small dixie cup, then full strength in a #16 ink cup, and mix down a few tones in 2 more ink caps. I mix down with witch hazel, sometimes distilled water, but witch hazel seems to help keep the redness down so the tone values are more apparent.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan