Stenciling Question

This topic contains 5 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of northernmonkey northernmonkey 3 years, 9 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of northernmonkey northernmonkey 

i am just wondering can anybody give me any stenciling tips because i am finding it very difficult to stencil around a image for a desigh for the customer with the carbon paper. the lines are not very visible through the paper. do i need something like a lightbox?

Profile photo of Jester Jester 
    Participant

I built a light box, and it really helped me.
    I think that having a super hard, really smooth surface
    (in this case tempered glass) behind the spirit paper helps.
    For me, it makes the carbon mark better.

Profile photo of Lennart82 Lennart82 
    Participant

Agreed.

A hard surface is the way to go. Metal or glass.

And to make the designs, a lightbox is a good start. And actually its cheaper to DIY then buy.

Profile photo of Spider Spider 
    Participant

In a shop I worked at in Texas the owner was such a cheap a….. they wouldn’t shell out the money for a thermal. So we did our own research going from the old Brothers fax machine idea to make stencils. And found that a dot matrix printer (you can get an older one for under 100,) will make a very decent stencil copy. Otherwise you are stuck to hand drawing stencils which sucks! A mini thermal is not all that expensive nowadays and well worth the cost in time. Otherwise, yep glass is the best to use, building your own lightbox is a definate way to go, and to get a decent sized glass, visit your local thrift store and buy a framed picture! Gives you the glass in a frame ready to rock and roll…

Profile photo of Jester Ink Jester Ink 
    Participant

i rigged up plexiglass nailed to my table and a clip on light under it, works perfect enough. the hand drawn out stenciling takes alot of time, only way i do it though. gets my hand used to curves and stuff before laying down the tat.

Profile photo of anansi anansi 

The thrift store idea is actually a really good one! I’ve been wondering where a good place would be to get glass, and that’s actually perfect!

Profile photo of garenlevon garenlevon 

Here are few good stenciling tips. Use a Professional Tool as Stencilling brushes, work from the outside and don’t overload a brush with paint as it’ll seep under the edges of the stencil.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©2017 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan

Forgot your details?