• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      bodied

Ok so I introduced myself and have been reading as much as I can on here. Quik recap- I am serving in Afghanistan right now and have always been artistic and love to draw so I bought a starter kit for what little down time I have here.
      Question- I am practicing on pigskins and wil not (WILL NOT) be tattooing any living thing while I am here other than maybe myself. I am wondering a couple things.
      1. Is there a certain direction to stretch the skin? Ive placed a stencil on myself (forearm) and stretched it length wise (wrist to elbow direction) and width wise (arcoss side to side of the arm). To me length wise seems best. And what is the best amount to stretch at a time?
      2. I am a lefty. What or where is the best place to start tattooing? I picture myself wiping away the stencil if I start on the right side of it and see my hand dragging across whats been tattooed if I start on the left.
      3. What are some good books and dvds to get to learn more?
      Sorry if these seem like stupid questions and I hate the saying “the only stupid question is the one not asked”, but we all gotta learn.
      Thanks
      Thanks!

nytemareh
      Participant

watch the left hands(free hand). they stretch between the first finger and thumb, and with the right hand(hand holding machine) pull the skin back. that is called a three point stretch, and is most common you will see. Can’t remember what video it is, but mario barth talks about the different stretchs he uses and the importance of it. about the dvd joshua carlton has a few that are really good amazing stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piTYyUnXGQE&feature=related

Johnny

Nightmare covered stretching good, but you shouldn’t be stretching to apply a stencil. Most stencils are applied with the collector standing in a natural position. Since you are a lefty you should line left to right, and wipe away from your stencil. Its okay to wipe over your already done lines, but try to keep it to a minimum as to not destroy your stencil. If you need to check if a line is solid try wiping real quick with your thumb. Another trick is to wrap a piece of paper towel around your ring and middle finger on your machine hand, so when you are finished with a line you can rotate your hand and wipe away from your work. Also to keep wiping to a minimum, don’t load a shit load of ink in your liner tube. A real quick tap in the ink cup is enough. Most of all thankyou for your service.

bodied

Thank you guys! Johnny I was refering to stretching while tattooing after the stnecil is applied. I laid one out on my arm and just stretched it in diffrent directions to see the effects of it. am i right to say that you want to stretch the length of the line out? also your answer brings me to another question, if the line isnt solid what is the best way to go back and hit it again and also make sure that im lining up with the first pass and not creating a double line? Thanks again for your answers and you are welcome! I do this so you can do what you do!!

Johnny

Oops, must have misread the question. Ultimately getting your lines down in one pass is the goal, but if you have to hit one up twice, just carefully go over it again. KEEP MOVING. Don’t ever let the machine sit in one spot. I usually stretch away from the direction of the line I’m about to do, so my wrist can rotate with it. Have an idea of where you are going to start and finish your line, and then reposition. Actual tattooing isn’t like pig skin, or practice skin where you can just flip it around to get a better bead on your lines. Establish how far you can comfortably go in one spot, then stop. When you go farher than your limit you will end up using your elbow or pushing with your fingers and end up trying to control way to many moving body parts. Maybe you could get some good practice on some dead taliban? Isn’t there a lot of them laying around?

Jester
      Participant

@Johnny wrote:

Maybe you could get some good practice on some dead taliban? Isn’t there a lot of them laying around?

Not nearly enough of them!!!

bodied

That was my initail thought when I wanted to get a starter kit over here. But then I started thinknin about the backlash it would cause and I really dont feel like being in the news and dealing with all the fame that would come from it. LOL!! When Im using the practice skins I try to place them on a cylinder or shape them around something resembeling a body part and try to keep them in place like a person would be to get the feeling of not being able to manipulate it into a better position. Thanks again for the help!

Most stencils are used with the enthusiast status in a organic place. Since you are a lefty you should range remaining to right, and clean away from your stencil. Its okay to clean over your already done collections, but try to keep it to a lowest as to not eliminate your stencil. If you need to examine if a range is strong try clearing off here actual fast with your usb. Another technique is to cover certificates hand towel around your band and center handy on your device side, so when you are completed a range you can move your side and clean away from your perform. Also to keep clearing off to a lowest, don’t fill a crap fill of ink in your lining pipe. A here actual fast tap in the ink cup is enough. Most of all thankyou for your assistance.

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

A technique I use while lining is when I apply vaseline, or purtect, or whatever ointment I’m using during the tattoo I’ll “Dab” it, and when it comes time to wipe I’ll also “dab.” However, be sure if you’re dabbing to white also dab your ointment. This way there’s no fear of wiping away your stencil, but you can also get a pretty decent view of the work you’re doing. The biggest thing for oyu as a lefty is work left to right, and bottom to top. This way you aren’t rubbing your tattooing hand across your stencil. since the butt of your hand should be on the skin. Hope this helps!

gregtatts
      Participant

Hi I no this might sound but I want to tattoo a single line dragon on my neck at the side but not shore if the stretching n twisting will distort if I put the transfer on when straight then do it through mirror cheerz

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan