Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      angie

hi guys i have my own studio in my home…the question i would like you guys to hellp me figure out is can we be qualify as profesional if we have a home studio?

i meen it is as clean as a studio in the street…

give me your opinion on this…as for getting a license in canada…no need cause theres no regulation or laws about it ( for now will come in a really near futur i think)

many distributor ask for a license ??

oh and cam needles :( i got an order and i have to say i was really not impress..im use to envy by tatsoul so naaa for me.. ill stick with tatsoul for sure……..did you guys ever used those?
      other than trinity and tatsoul do you guys have a good quality needles distributor.?
      thanks for all the info and help guys

heres my home studio

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=217280678426752&set=a.217280518426768.1073741828.100004344638389&type=1&theater

Infamous
      Participant

Of course you can, but its still better to have a shop

I love that picture btw, the look on your clients face is just fantastic

Lennart82
      Participant

In my humble opinion, Yes, I think you can have a home studio. Nothing wrong with that. As long as you keep it a “studio”, and only use it for tattoos.
      One of the real benefits is that your are very close to your family. And if you have to work long late hours on a piece, you wouldn’t feel like you were at work all the time.
      But that’s just in my opinion, as family matters a lot to me ;)

And yes, that picture is awesome :D

Spider
      Participant

When I moved to the area where I am at now I started in my house in June 2012 after checking with every local shop out here and just not wanting to work at ANY shop out here, they were disgusting!. Finally made enough money and picked up enough of a following to open my shop in a 1000 sq ft building with 3 booths, reception area, photo booth, and clean room in July 2013. Keep it clean, keep it professional and put out good work. Save up get you an autoclave, ( I picked up a Wayne s500 dry-clave for under 300 bucks off ebay and have it spore tested every month, 12 month testing kit cost me 70 bucks.) Keep the “booth” like a shop booth, no traffic, no babies!, no drugs or alcohol, no smoking, good lighting, storage space (my first ink rack was an old spice rack you put on the wall in the kitchen perfect size for ink bottles), and there are plenty of places that will deal with you. If ur serious about the industry, get yourself registered as a small business, here in the states we use an EIN (employer Identification Number) from the IRS that shows us as a business. It costs nothing to get registered. Some places may require you to adhere to local laws and statutes but they are usually pretty simple. Keep records, make people sign a release form to protect yourself and follow any regulations you may be under.
      This company is a very decent one and will deal with you without the attitude! http://www.worldwidetattoo.com/english/ Hildebrant is also a very decent company.
      good luck and have fun..Peace.

Lennart82
      Participant

A release form? Enlighten me Spider. :D And just curios, since in my country, no one uses it.

Infamous
      Participant

Its a contract you have your client sign warning them that no matter how clean you are there is always a slight risk of infection and it releases the artist from being held responsible if such an event would occur

Lennart82
      Participant

Ahhhhh the famous american lawsuit ;)

Well no worries then.

The highest lawsuit ever, for a normal person, in Denmark, was about 500$ ;) But I can see some benifits in using a release form. Exmple, Just so they are aware of the risks, and my hands are clean (on two accounts hehehehe…. Ahhhh sorry guys, Im at that state, were I should go to bed)

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

many people have shops in their homes. i have a shop at my place, and so do two of my friends. in canada-other than Toronto-there is no license for tattooing. as long as you pass a health inspection you can tattoo all you like.

For ontario we have a few rules that I can think of off the top of my head:
      Trash can with a lid that is food operated
      have a strong disinfectant cleaner (IE: CaviCide, MediCide, 99% Clorox Bleach)
      have a hand soap, and 70%+ hand sanitizer in the bathroom, and the shop
      everything but me covered with some sort of barrier (Barrier Film, Saran Wrap. You can even cover your work station with aluminium foil)
      all bottles, and jars must be labelled. (i label each bottle what it is and what it containts. IE: Wash Bottle: 1 Part PurKlenz 9 Parts Distilled Water 4 Caps Witch Hazel 4 Caps Bactine)
      all needles and disposable razors must be placed in a sharps container
      the sharps container must be at eye level and within six feet of your work area
      must have bags to cover machines and clip cords
      all bottles must be covered with some sort of barrier (Barrier Film, Wash Bottle Bags, Saran Wrap)
      There cannot be any fabrics in the shop such as fabric chairs, couches, or carpets. they are a breeding ground for bacteria. i suggest leather, vinyl, plastic, metal.
      it is best if your inks are in an area that can be covered. this is to protect the inks from airborne pathogens to prevent cross contamination.
      shop must be given a large clean once a week, and a spot clean after every tattoo performed.
      garage must be changed after each tattoo, and double bagged. I use small kitchen catchers and I place them into a large black garbage bag. this way it works as a way to not have a bunch of little bags, and double bags the entire lot of them at once.
      a consent form, and aftercare sheet must be given to all clients, and be available for viewing by the health inspector. aftercare will also be needed to be gone over verbally after each tattoo. the consent form is also proof that your client is of age, which you require ID to prove so, and is not under the influence of any drugs or alcohol. if someone tries to say they were inebriated when they got their tattoo you have this piece of paper showing that they werent.
      always have socks or shoes on at all times. never operate your foot pedal barefoot unless your pedal is covered.
      your shop must only be used for a shop and nothing else. it must be a separate from the rest of the building.
      absolutely no pets. on your inspection day have someone babysit your pets. clean the place of all hair etc, hide food and bowls etc.
      as far as an autoclave in ontario you must test them biweekly, and if you’re using all disposable needles and grips you wont need one. if you have one in your shop and dont use it you still need to spore test it whether its in use or not.
      you will need an ultrasonic cleaner to clean ink cups and such. it will also make the health unit happy
      being registered isnt necessary. in ontario it costs about 60$ to register a business. not sure if it is just to register the business, or if it also registers you to the better business bureau as well.
      if you do register your business you will be required–by law–to charge HST–which can be included in your price–and get an HST number. you will also be required–by law–to claim every cent you earn. however, you can also claim your expenses if you are registered and get the HST back.

thats all i can think of off of the top of my head. however, some things may be different in NS. you should be able to google it: health inspection requirements tattoo nova scotia

my supply company of choice is Hildbrant. http://www.tattoomachineequipment.com i order solely from them.

angie

thanks guys :) as for the baby in my shop its my couzin so i made an exeption :) …and yes that picture is awesome!

i have a contract formular that i make every client signs…and a after care sheet that i gave to them so they cant say oh you didnt told me i could go in the pool….or what so ever! you need to protect your self and your client… i want to have a shop in a near futur thats my goal..but first i need to make money..

i have my drawing table in my studio…i dont own an autoclave but i use only disposable tube and i use the good chimical products to clean my studio… spider i love the spice rack idea :) thanks a lot will defenetly use this tip :)

as for world wide i think they are indeed great :)
      you guys could give a try at trinity too they are good and really kind :) hilbrant is good too hihi :)

thanks yall and get ready the tattoo season is about to began :)

summer being almost over its time to get tattooed!

SparkEater72

If you’re reading this and you’re in the U.S. Keep in mind that tattooing is regulated in all areas. One of these regulations is that you can not tattoo from a residence. Period. Ever.

Now… I’m not saying that you can’t tattoo from a home studio. I’m telling you what the regulations are. Different areas have different punishments if you get caught working from a residence. These can be increased if you infect a client, tattoo a minor, trade controlled substances (drugs, guns, etc… ) or perform tattoos for sexual favors.

Punishments can range from confiscation of equipment, eviction (your landlord won’t be happy when he/she finds out), fines and jail time (ranging from 3 months to 3 years depending on what they nail you for).

Most suppliers that won’t deal with non-pros expect to see either a state/county issued tattoo license, or a board of health operating license in order to open an account with them. If you’re working for a residence you will be issued neither.

As far as paperwork… liability and release forms and all that shit. They’re null and void, inadmissible in court because you’re breaking the law operating a ‘studio’ from a residence. I know of one case where this worked to the disadvantage of the guy who got busted (he needed to get busted) where they charged him for each tattoo he did based on the records he kept. So the best idea is to skip the waiver and go through the disclosure (allergies? STD’s? Epilepsy and all that stuff) verbally. Aftercare instructions can (and should be… because clients are generally pretty stupid) be printed and handed out, but I wouldn’t keep a pile of them around.

Another issue you have to deal with is disposal of biohazardous waste. Yeah, you all have a ton of advice about needles n shit… but ink, wipes and barriers are all classified as biohazardous waste and one of the major reasons ‘they’ don’t want you tattooing in a residential area. You might have a sharps container but where do you dispose of it??? (In the U.S. I don’t know any clinics or hospitals that will take them)

How do I know this shit? Not only because I’ve worked in several pro shops in a few different states, but because I grew up in an area where tattooing was straight up outlawed. The legal status of tattooing did not keep people from tattooing and I knew a few guys (and one girl) who had professional studios in their houses. Everything is legal now, heavily regulated (heavier penalties for underground tattooers) and still there are plenty of underground artists (different than scab vendors and kitchen wizards).

If you have a home studio… it should be a studio. A room dedicated to the tattoo process… and another dedicated to cleaning your shit. Surface disinfectants, cold sterilizers and stuff like that should not be stored in your residential area… or in your tattoo area. Do not clean gear in your kitchen or bathroom sink.

I personally don’t recommend home studios for anyone that hasn’t worked in a studio and understands completely how we can contaminate one area with ‘junk’ from another. But then, it doesn’t matter what I recommend, people are going to do what they’re going to do

Jeremiah Daniels
      Participant

I have been tattooing for 16 years. I also have a home studio, completely setup to PRO shop standards, with autoclave (spore tested bi-weekly, multiple ultrasonic cleaners (used for different purposes, in different rooms), bathroom for client, room dedicated to cleaning and steralization, a waiting/consultation rooms, and immaculate tattoo room complete with hydrolic tattoo chair, artist stool, roll-a-round tattoo tray/workstation(HOT ZONE!!!), ultrasonic cleaner, etc. Madacide used for chemical steralization. All fluids and area labeled and protected. I tattooed professionally for two years, and worked very hard to master my craft. Tragically, my mentor and idol in the industry lost his battle with prostate cancer, which happened suddenly and unexpected. I had already earned my way from apprentice to artist(Tattoo Technition), but I do not feel I was ready to spread my wings and open a shop without my master. I had an issue with my confidence, and also was mourning still from the loss of an amazing tattoo artist, amazing family man, and an even better friend. Through all these struggles, I ended up in a very bad traffic accident which injured my back terribly, even worse with the everyday back issues from tattooing. Ultimatly, I ended up on disability and had to rehabilitate myself with my back. During my physical therapy and mental health therapy(due to stress of being helpless and feeling trapped in my home)I started building myself up, and making the entire downstairs of my townhouse into my studio. During this time I kept up with my BBP Certification, CPR/AED, and First Aid Certification, but I did lose my license, due to not working currently in a shop. In the state of TN, if you have been on disability or for any reason didn’t renew your license for over 2 years, you are no longer in the database and pretty much have to start from scratch. I’ve been wanting to find a new shop, but have found issues with finding a shop that is compatible with either my personality or or their being a ink snob. I have only used my studio to tattoo family and close friends during my downtime, which may not sound like much, but I believe I have logged about 200 some-odd tattoos in the past 2 to 2.5 years. Unfortunatly for my wallet, I didn’t get paid with cash, I got paid with experience and pictures for my portfolio. I am trying to work towards working my way back into the work force, but am having an issue with finding a shop I am comfortable working in that is accepting of me. For the 1st 4 or 5 years I didn’t take my tattooing and artwork as seriously as I wish I had. In the last 3.5 to 4 years I have had a fire lit under my butt and have been on fire with a passion for my craft like never before. I believe there is a drastic devide between having a studio in your place of dwelling, and being a kitchen magician who is just trying to make a quick buck, and don’t have a passion for the art. If you are tattooing another human being, you need to have a respect and a VAST knowledge of very important tricks, and issues you will definatly not learn without learning from a professional artist with a traditional apprenticeship. Learning from your own mistakes just isn’t fair to your clients, and is being blatantly dangerous where the worst case scenerio isn’t a shitty tattoo, but is an infection or bloodborn disease that can harm or even kill your client. If you don’t have anymore respect for the industry, then to tattoo like this, you don’t belong in the industry. Knowledge is power, educate yourself. Make sure in the minimum you have passed a blood born pathogen certification course, along with cpr and first aid, and actually have an area that is safe for you to even be tattooing in. If you have tons of cloth, fabric, unwrapped bottles/machines/hot zones/clip cords or are tattooing with your ink left out exposed near you while tattooing, just don’t!!! There are reasons there are laws against tattoooing while uneducated or unprepaired to due so. I know its hard to find an apprenticeship these days, I am a very sound and technical tattoo artist with a wide array of styles, tricks, and experience under my belt, yet I can’t find an appropriate shop in a decent sized city to work that will either take me on, or that I am willing to lower my standards enough to work at. I just am not willing to drop my standards to a level of being unclean or in an unsafe environment for myself or my clients, and the other shops I know are stuck up their own butts so far they formed together as the “Club Convention of Conseeded Tattoo Snobs.” Lol… Either way, the answer for me is simple… to CONVERT an entire selected area of your home or place of dwelling into a professional tattoo studio, that meets professional shop standards to the extreme of making sure you meet all other Health Code Law Standards that could pass a health code inspection if it were in a building zoned and legally acceptable to open a shop in. Other than the fact that your studio is a dwelling, you should strive to meet all standards and guidelines put in place by the health dept. If not, and you are just wanting to learn tattooing, or you think you can tattoo, or even if you can tattoo, but don’t have an appropriate areas to designate and the proper tools needed to run a clean, professional, comfy, and safe tattooing environment(autoclave with spore testing consistantly, barrier film/bags/etc, ultrasonic cleaner, Non-porous surfaces like non-cloth flooring and chairs, Madacide or equivalent chemical steralizer, etc, etc….) and most importantly the well versed, knowledgeable and precise understanding of the running and functioning of a professional and exceptional tattoo shop with a clean welcoming environment, out of this world artistry, and the respect towards the industry that will keep proving to be the most hardcore and yet sensible form of artistry that is on a rise that will only end if all of existance ends. Thank you for reading my hopefully helpful opinion about home studios and when a Private/Home Studios are acceptable in my opinion.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan