• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      littleinker
      Participant

Ok, so I’m a girl based in Australia (Brisbane to be exact) and I’m going to be hitting up some of the studios in my area soon with a folio to try and land an apprenticeship. I am currently doing a fine art degree and am about to start a tattooing course so I will at least have the sanitation and and a good idea of the basics down. The course is supposed to replace an apprenticeship, however I can’t see how a few weeks could possibly do that and I have too much respect for artists anyway.

So my question is, what do I need to do to give myself the best chances of not just landing an apprenticeship but a good one with an amazing artist? Are there any things that are specific to Australia that are different to the U.S. and Europe? I know I will need a strong portfolio, an attitude that is very humble and willing to learn, be willing to do all the shit kicking as well as learning….what else do I need? Any suggestions are more than appreciated! :)

Vory

I would reccomend looking into a few artists that you would consider and apprenticeship under.
      Then get tattooed. Go big and let them do what they want. I find that most artists tend to respect the fact that you’re paying for their time. Ask their advice. You’d be surprised with how the conversation may flow.

Obviously this is a bit of a gamble. Just getting tattooed doesn’t guarantee and apprenticeship. However, it will get your foot in the door and put you on a first name basis with an artist you admire. If you can help it, try to pay attention while they tattoo you. Even seeing something as small as how they lay out their ink palette can be a huge help.

I wouldn’t reccommend walking into shops with your portfolio in hand. People seem to put their guard when they see that. Wait until off a critique, or find the moment to politely ask for one.

It sounds like you’re going about it from a place of respect. You shouldn’t have any problem working your way into a shop as long as you keep that attitude. I hope things work out!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan