Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      jtdaltonsr

Well folks, Ive been working towards an apprenticeship for quite some time now, want to say somewhere in the range of about 5 years now. Either the shop is too busy to accompany my needs, or me starting off as a scratcher has thwarted me once again….SO….Dr. Bill Pogue has a school…”World’s Only Tattoo School” which at this time is NOT the only. The tuition is $5600, is 2 week class with 12 additional weeks for free, international machine with pwr and grips, color, etc…enough equipment to make $5000 back…which the class pays for itself. Also guarantee certification within that time, and also guarantee job placement. SO whats wrong with this option? NOTHING!!!! I get hands on, I get one on one, bc the classes are reletively small with multiple instrutors. I GET TO DO TATTOOS and get someone to “mentor” me. I’ve thought about it long and hard, and without being able to snag an apprenticeship, Id rather pay the fee, get licensed, and start slinging ink! I will post my progress on this forum just as long as Charles doesnt mind. I would like to show the forum both the Pros AND the Cons of this method, as I have yet to see anyone that has went to school post on here with results. Wish me good luck! My class starts mid September, so I have until then. Also, they offer student financial aid thru JenaMae, so u can get the tuition FINANCED!!! Finally a way to get in the door!

TexasPT

Good luck. I think it’s a great concept. I know many professional artists HATE these schools. They are even boycotting one on Facebook right now.

One thing I can say is that “trade schools” are a foundation. I went to a mechanics school, spent $9k, got job placement…and then really started learning when I was in the real world. Use it as an opportunity to get in a door…and then reassume the role of student in whatever shop you get placed in. That’s the key. Don’t go in thinking you’ll come out knowing everything and make sure you go in thinking you know NOTHING. Be a student, soak it in, arrive early and stay as late as they will let you. :)

Keep us posted. I’m very interested to hear about it.

Mark

jtdaltonsr

I definately will keep you posted…an my mindset will be when i go in, “ive never done a tattoo a day in my life, and i dont know what im doing…show me the basics!” I know when i get out, Im NOT going to be a super tattoo artist, but I WILL be more knowledgable than if I wait around for something that probably wont EVER happen…an apprenticeship. I will be licensed, so i can get started right away, but thats not my gameplan. I plan on, after completion of the coarse, to STILL strive to get an apprenticeship, or start slow and move my way up. I just feel if I wait around, I will be losing an opportunity to improve my skills. keep you guys updated, but remember that wont be until mid September.

I also hate these schools, but not for the reasons many might thing. The reason I hate these schools, is from talking to various people about them, they would not, as clients, either trust, or recommend someone to tattoo someone else, who has simply taken a two week course, and is now ‘deemed’ to be a professional. I’m not knocking the eduction or tuition, afterall, they could be first rate, what I don’t like, is the ‘guaranteed work’ line they are spinning. If they can actually secure students jobs in professional studios, then fantastic and all power to them, but if they can’t, an artist could wind up quite embarassed when potential clients fail to recognize their qualification as meaningful. I’ve always been willing to allow apprentices to tattoo me, but from what I’ve heard, that’s not always the predominant attitude… Anyway, that’s enough of me pissing on your parade, best of luck, amigo, I hope it works out for you :)

jcarmack
      Participant

These tattoo schools aren’t going to give you instant “Expertise” but they will allow you to gain a license and tattoo legally. They will give you a foundation upon which you can build upon. As in any endeavor you get out of it what you put into it. The only way to get better is to practice, practice and then practice some more. Even the so called “Professional Tattoo Artists” learn and gain experience every time they practice their skill. They didn’t get where they are in one day and you won’t either. What The World’s Only Tattoo School will give you is the ability to get a license in any state that you want to tattoo in. Start small and expand your portfolio and slowly build upon skill after skill until you feel comfortable. There’s plenty of information out here now that once you have the basics down that can help you to expand your skill base and make you a better tattoo artist.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Tattoo schools are the best one they give an good knowledge about making tattoo designs and how to handle it.

CR Jordan

http://www.MyTattooSchool.com is a side project, let me know if anyone is interested in it though!

http://mytattooschool.com/join-my-tattoo-school/

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan