• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Lennart82
      Participant

Here’s the deal. I am not the big TV fan. I barely watch any TV programs. But then one day, I stumbled on TLC’s Tattoo School TV Show. And frankly, I was a bit annoyed with this program. I don’t know if you guys seen it. But you follow a bunch of “students” who paid a large amount of cash, to get tutored in the art of tattooing.
      Most of them have never had a machine in hand, but during this two weeks course, they will get to tattoo 2-3 people per day. Once they are finished, they will receive a certificate, stating that they can call themselves a Tattoo Artist. I was choked… First I thought it was some kind of media stunt, a joke. But then I search the net and found this tattoo school. And they do claim this.

What’s your take on this show? Have you seen it?

But Tattoo Artist?
      I still don’t call myself that. And I will not call myself that. Maybe in about 10 to 15 years. For me, that word is a word of prestige, and you don’t call your self that, you earn the right to be called that through your clients.
      And yes, I know that some clients will call you a true artist. But basically, they are just being friendly towards you.
      You know when you are a Tattoo Artist, but you don’t call your self a Tattoo Artist.

Which actually brings me to another thing. I have seen way to many tattooist’s with a really bad attitude towards the trade. They think that, because they can do a tattoo, they can say and do what they want to the clients. And act like a king, and that their clients are mere peasants.
      We, here in Denmark are no different, TV like, then the rest of the world. We have a program called Tattoo Salon. And its principles are the same as Miami INK and LA INK.
      This shop is run by two guys. Tattooed all over their bodies. They don’t tattoo themselves, they are piercers. Every show, they ramble about their clients, how dumb they are, their choice of tattoos and so on. Their attitude towards the paying costumers are awful.
      This trade needs a bit more humble artists. Its like a beautiful flower; It doesn’t say its beautiful, it just is.

Have you guys ever met those tattooist with a really bad attitude? Do tell :D

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

I know a few here that are huge dicks actually. You see it with a lot of the “Better” artists. They feel because they have the skill to tat that they dont need to be nice. Personally I think it’s an insult to the industry.

Which show are you talking about? Is it a male or female instructor?

I have watched both, and Miami Ink, NY Ink, LA Ink, London Ink, Tattoo Highway, Ink Masters, and Best Ink. I mainly watch them just to see the tattoos they do. I watched Tattoo School with the female instructor out of curiosity, and was appalled. I then went to rewatch it online, and found the one with the male instructor, which was better, but still very crap. As far as the drama shows I watch them to see what people get, not so much for the drama.

Lennart82
      Participant

Been on vacation. Thats why the late reply :D

The one I’m talking about, is the one with the female instructor.

And actually I watch the other shows, as to see if I cant get a peak at their equiptment, their style, their colours and the tattoo design. :D

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

I do the same. Some of them even show them tattooing so you can get a peek at some technique too

I dont know if you watch NY Ink or America’s Worst Tattoos but Megan Massacre uses a Mikey Sharpz T-dial :P

Buller

I watch NYink, LAink ect also for the tattoos and the way the artists do their work. But Tattoo Salon is a discrase to this line of art. And the shop is run by Beavis and Butthead :D

JDawnPearls

I saw this school on the net and the only thing that I liked was the “availability of information” that an aspiring artist is looking for. What I do NOT LIKE – and this is more important – is that they are “certified” in such a short time.

There are conflicts here. Serious artists who want to learn the right way are faced with a thousand road blocks which is what makes “schools” enticing …. there is information you can’t get from books (depending on the way you learn)…. but the time line is too short and there isn’t enough experience on other areas of HIGH importance: i.e. running, working, and cleaning a shop.

There are other places that provide rotations of apprenticeships that apply the same knowledge and learning experience as you find at apprenticeships but they are called “schools” because of state regulations. Some places have to be called schools to get their licenses and certificate to teach …. it differs by location. There is an apprenticeship opportunity in Dallas, TX that takes only serious artists (you have to submit a portfolio) and they work with you for 6-12 months on their tattoo shop to get the requirements you need to be a tattoo artist. This “school” is serious, it is not like that TV show. Although there are bad schools out there (more about making money than teaching discipline) does not mean that EVERY school is a bad one.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Rants and Raves’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan