• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

This is a custom piece I did. Please be honest but gentle…. I started this piece a couple years ago. We werent able to do the whole thing in one sitting because she had a emergency and had to leave the shop. Then she moved to Cali and I wasn’t able to finish for about 2 years…lol. This is why some of the outline is darker in spots… This pic was taken minutes after I was done so its a bit puffy… sorry.

Critical Review – take with a grain of salt.
      If you are going to re-outline an old piece, just re-outline the whole thing.
      Be careful because looks like you might have gone a little too deep in some spots.
      Was the piece original art? or was it flash?
      Also try to avoid using lines as much as possible – think of the tattoo as painting or sketching – not so much as coloring book art.
      Try to get some depth and dimention by using variations of colors and shades of black underneath the colors as gradients.
      A few of your lines look a little shaky (might be from incorrect size tubes’ tips – not enough tension on the rubber-band – or not using diamond tips to outline)
      Not a poor tattoo at all – Just giving criticizm.

Remember to use plastic tubes and tips when you tattoo SAFE!

What the heck does ” make sure you use plastic tips and tubes when you tattoo disposible” mean? Did you mean …. make sure you use disposable tips and tubes when you tattoo? I use metal tips and tubes… I have an ultrasonic cleaner, tube cleaning brushes, the proper cleaning agents and an autoclave. I never got used to using disposable tubes. … This was not flash it was something I drew. I know how to use a blood line. I wanted this piece to have a heavier outline. This person wanted me to blend old school and Japanese. Some styles call for a heavier outline some don’t. That’s a matter of artist taste not technique. I showed this piece to my former teacher. ( he is doing some work on me) and I didn’t go too deep. It healed nicely and looks good… I do appreciate your critique and advice.

Sorry about that last sentence! I was typing very fast – you knew what I meant though – haha. I fixed.
      If you have an autoclave in a studio – then go for it.
      I still am in the school of thought that even people who have autoclave should use plastic tubes. Most people do not even know how to test their autoclave to make sure it is working, and even if they did – they wouldn’t actually do it. The states do not enforce – and clients are not aware of this. Plastic tubes are not that difficult to use.
      The spots I thought you went too deep on were because of the photo – looked like parts had “pits” in spots – could just be the photo though. These things you can not tell unless you see the tattoo up close at like 300dpi photo (which would be like 5 MB on a forum this is not feasible).
      Thanks for sharing your work.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan