• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      deftones46th

what tools and supplies should one already have when seeking an apprenticeship? obviously tattoo machine and power supply, but i know there are alot of other supplies one needs.

you’ll need also a good clip cord (preferably with a long cord for good movement) and a pedal; that works w/ your power supply and machine. Do you have a machine? Is it a shader/liner machine, an 8 wrap? You’ll also need an assortment of needles, to start, perhaps a liner. A needle tube. A sharps box. Gloves, small cups for the pigment. Good pigment like Eternal. small black elastics (to wrap around needle bar and machine.) A mentor; make friends with local tattoo artist! Also a good guide book, try the one offered by this site. You’ll find more things you’ll like to have along the way, but thats a good start! good luck :)

xDreamerx
      Participant

If your this new, I would suggest you purchase the book sold here on this site.

Nightliner
      Participant

Different shops supply different supplies to their artists, and some don’t supply anything but the space to tattoo in. So, if you want a list of everything , here goes (and remember I’m old and forgetfull,lol)

Machines- at least two, four would be better.
      gloves – latex and non-latex for the alergic people
      ink cups – #9, #16
      Inks – black and an assortment of colors
      witch hazel – for doing B&G
      paper towels – somethng without prints on them, and soft white is good
      power supply and pedal and clip cord(8 foot)
      green soap
      speed stick or dettol
      trace carbons
      #12 rubber bands
      a stainless steel tray is handy
      plastic wrap for barrier film
      HB wipes are good for clean up
      a jewelers loupe
      needles – at least 7 liner and 7 mags in boxes of 50
      tubes – permanant or throw aways
      grips – i recomend 1 inch
      spray bottel
      some misc tools – to adjust your machines and put your tubes together
      pliers
      Q-tips and oil
      vaseline
      tongue depessors
      optional stuff – clip cord and machine barrier film
      a case to put your stuff in
      plastic cups – to rinse your tubes and small ones for mixing a larger grey wash

Well I know I forgot something, but that’s a pretty good start.

deftones46th

i am still pretty new but have quit a bit of tools so far and have alot of guides. i have 3 machines that came pretty much universal to be set up as liner or shader(yes they are cheapo chinese) wich i am currently upgrading springs, coils and a bars to make one a liner, one a shader and one a color packer. i have two power supplies, one digital and one not. two 360 foot switches. 2 6 ft clip cords. green soap, alcohol, witches hazel, glycerin, distilled water, gloves, rubber bands, about 80 needles in various sizes, 5 ss grips and tips to match all the needles, i have plastic tips also, i have the primary color set by iron butterfly, few sheets of spirit transfer paper, ink caps, vaseline, paper towels, im sure i left some stuff i have out but thats pretty much what i have so far. i need to get some eye loupes i know that, im still working on my drawings and machine set up and a lil practice skin for now so i think i have what i need for that. but if anyone sees anything else i might need let me know . thanx oh yeah and i have a sharps container too.

@deftones46th wrote:

what tools and supplies should one already have when seeking an apprenticeship? obviously tattoo machine and power supply, but i know there are alot of other supplies one needs.

You don’t need anything but drawing / painting skills – and a portoflio to become an apprentice.
      You won’t even start tattooing for 6 – 8 months into your apprenticeship usually!

xDreamerx
      Participant

And the “speed stick” think….only if you got mini-disposables(travel) ones. You dont want to use speed stick on more than one person……fyi.

Toombs

Green soap (surgical grade soap) which can be bought from any decent pharmacy works just as well or if not even better than a speed stick… Just gotta make sure u don’t contaminate the bottles…

Jbeaufosho

@canvasyou wrote:

@deftones46th wrote:

You don’t need anything but drawing / painting skills – and a portoflio to become an apprentice.
      You won’t even start tattooing for 6 – 8 months into your apprenticeship usually!

Exactly. You’re better off waiting (considering you wont be using them at first) and getting advice from your mentor on quality equipment to.ensure your.money is well spent. Plus at that point if you’re in a.shop you’ll be able to actually order quality equipment from a reputable dealer. Good luck bro!

gopalkumar20

A needle capsule. A sharps box. Gloves, lightweight cups for the pigment. useful pigment like permanent. nominal black elastics (to wrap around needle bar and tool.) A mentor; construct associates with indigenous tattoo designers! Also a reliable publication reserve, try the one supplied by this place.
      best debt settlement companies

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan