• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      jbee70

Hi there,
      I am meeting with a Tattoo Artist today who is interested in taking me on as his Apprentice. What questions should I be asking him besides the obvious ones (how he learned to tattoo, what are his other apprentices doing now, what does the apprenticeship entail, etc)?
      How do you know whether the tattooist is going to be effective in teaching you what you need to know? Should he be giving me references of the others that apprenticed under him so I can ask how he was?
      He is telling me that he will teach me everything about tattoing, safety, business etc and then once I am ready I can work in the shop. He seems very flexible because I am in my 30’s and have a full time job that I cannot leave right now to pursue tattooing.. but this is my life’s dream and he is impressed with my desire and passion.. not to mention my formal fine art training from NYC (Bachelor of Fine Arts degree).. I am hoping I will be great at tattooing!!!
      Thanks for the advice!
      jbee

jbee –
      check out his portfolio –
      ask how long he has been at THAT shop.
      usually an artist that has been at the same shop for a while is a little more stable and mature – will be a better teacher.
      check out the basic fundamentals of modern tattoo – the text book
      will give you a great place to get started.
      I really think you have to know a person’s work ethic – and that will reflect on their teaching ability
      ask him how busy he is too –
      you want to make sure he will have time for you – and not just make you clean stuff..
      best of luck

jbee70

Thanks for the tip on the book!
      Turns out the artist I wrote about is having family issues between here (phx, az) and Texas. So apprenticing with him is on hold. Luckily I haven’t paid him anything!
      Back to square one with finding someone to teach me. Not sure what I’ll find because of my schedule.. most places are gonna want someone who can put in all the grunt work/time. I’d love to be able to do that, but I have a mortgage to pay.
      ugh!
      I wish I had connections in the tattoo industry here!
      Thanks again for the advice, I will order the book you recommended!
      jbee

i started my apprenticeship at 26 with an infant daughter. i had to endure a year and a half of minimal income, but 12 hour days 7 days a week. i was fortunate that my mentor did not like sticking his fingers into other peoples nostrils and mouths, so he taught me to pierce about 3 months into it. all i got to tattoo was small, basic, solid black pieces, mostly ‘kanji’. about once a week or two. i painted his house, cleaned his gutters, mowed his lawn, and had to go to his house every week- to take out his trash. but he taught me how to make needles, ink and how to build machines in the shop in the back of the studio, yeah i had to walk the dog that lived at the shop, feed it, and shovel its shit out the backyard. stack & chop firewood for the wood stove in the 1920’s house converted tattoo studio, etc, etc,… but im making a decent living now pokin holes and drillin mofo’s…

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan