Viewing 27 reply threads
  • Author
      Lennart82
      Participant

So I have been having problems with applying my whites.
      And been thinking if its the ink it self. I’ve been using Kashoku Pure white. Its a bit on the thicker side. Anyone has any experience with Kashoku?
      Or any tips on applying white?

Infamous
      Participant

I’ve heard that white is especially difficult to work with. Not that I could offer the best advice but have you tried using a uv light (blacklight) during your process? You’ll probably be able to see what you’re doing a lot better once that ink shines out a bright blue instead of nearly invisible.

My best guess

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

You should try out Alla Prima or Eternal whites. They go in pretty easily, and sling amazingly. However, before you go spending more money on new pigments go buy some Witch Hazel, and fill a 1oz ink bottle with witch hazel. Add a few drops into your white. This will thin it out, and you may be able to pack it in better.

You also need to look at the skin tone of your client. The lighter the skin the less your white is going to show, and the DARKER the skin the more muddy it will look. Ie: African americans.

For white you really need to get it in nice, and solid the first go. Be sure you are using the proper angle, and such when you put it in. I’ve never heard of the ink you mentioned, but these are a few things to try out, and think about :3

Lennart82
      Participant

A black light? Never thought of that. I actually have one, so maybe I should give it a try.
      And also, I have heard that the whites are a bit difficult.

Alla Prima, I have considered buying a bottle, but wasn’t quite sure. I think I will go for it. Witch Hazel? I have heard a lot about it, but I’m not entirely sure what it does, or how its correctly used. Is it your basic ink thinner? Or?
      And of course the skin tone has its own saying. White isn’t for everyone.

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

witch hazel is an all natural liquid made from the flower Witch Hazel. it helps with swelling, redness, and the like
      it is used as a basic ink thinner
      i also add four cap full to my wash bottle
      i find it helps a lot with swelling, and redness since I wet wipe… a lot lmao
      it also helps to sooth the burning sensation during the tattoo

pop down your white, and add a drop or two to your ink cap. use a sterile ink bottle and just fill it with your witch hazel

i also use witch hazel for my grey washes
      10% of my greywashes are witch hazel

Lennart82
      Participant

I see…. I think I better get my hands on some Witch Hazel. I did a grey shading skull, and it took forever for the redness to go away.
      But now to the big question, where do I get my hands on some of this? Does regular tattoo supplier sell it?

Spider
      Participant

@Lennart82 wrote:

I see…. I think I better get my hands on some Witch Hazel. I did a grey shading skull, and it took forever for the redness to go away.
      But now to the big question, where do I get my hands on some of this? Does regular tattoo supplier sell it?

any pharmacy will have it.

Lennart82
      Participant

Yub thanks. :)

The woman behind the counter looked like I was from mars or something, when I asked about “Witch Hazel” Apparently thats not the correct translation in danish. :oops:

After a quick search on the net, we found the danish word = Trold Nød
      Now if we translate this back to english, we have = Orgre Nut (Plural = Orgre Nuts…….. :shock: )

Don’t you just love when you get lost in translation ;)

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

this is what i use
      i actually wrote a review for this :P
      https://www.teachmetotattoo.com/portal/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/DSCF5535.jpg

Spider
      Participant

@Lennart82 wrote:

Yub thanks. :)

The woman behind the counter looked like I was from mars or something, when I asked about “Witch Hazel” Apparently thats not the correct translation in danish. :oops:

After a quick search on the net, we found the danish word = Trold Nød
      Now if we translate this back to english, we have = Orgre Nut (Plural = Orgre Nuts…….. :shock: )

Don’t you just love when you get lost in translation ;)

HAHAHA….nice….gotta use that one!

Lennart82
      Participant

Orgre Nuts….

(Sounds like an alternative word for; Damn… :lol: )

Well, I am going to give my Witch Hazel a go this evening :D See if I can spot the difference right away. :)

Lennart82
      Participant

Just ordered new ink, here included, Alla Prima White.

Now lets see if that ink and me can become goodfriends :D

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

I love Alla Prima
      the white works like a charm
      a small suggestion is to get some sterile bearings to put in the bottle. Alla Prima is kind of thick and the bearings help to mix the colour better

Lennart82
      Participant

Thanks for the tip. :D

And the white with a few drops of witch hazel works aswell, right?

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

Afterwards yep, but you need to get it nice and mixed before you put it into your cup. For the white, and the red from them I add a few drops of witch hazel.

Lennart82
      Participant

Will do.

Hoping it will arrive today. :D

And coming Thursday, my friend with the Viking theme back is coming over, and we will do the runic relic stone. I simply cant wait :D And will use this white for the first time. :D
      (Untli Thursday, no one of my clients needs white…. Damn that scripting :? )

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

hope so too dude :3
      good luck :D

Spider
      Participant

For me it’s always been the thicker the white the better results I’ve had with it. I could understand adding some glycerinmaybe, but witch hazel? That would thin it out imo, making it harder to pack in yes? But then again we get the 1000 ways to do something the right way and to each thier own. The only thing I know for sure to share would be to watch out that your white is NOT mixing white, which is usually thinner. Mom’s, Solid, Radiant Super white are whites I have used and had very good results from most recently in having a solid fill white and even white tattoos. Mom’s is my current goto when adding highlights or light gleams on some of my work and solid ink just seems to pack in better than most so far. White is a challenge for us for the most part, I know guys that have 20 years in the industry and only use white to lighten a cover up area and sometimes for glare on some types of work, Hope it works for you man…

Lennart82
      Participant

Thanks Spider for the advice.

Yeah there are a multitude of ways to do things. :)

But what I didnt know, was that some whites are mixing whites. Do you know of any?

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

Alla Prima Primary White is good for mixing. The entire Primary set are made for mixing :3

Spider
      Participant

@Lennart82 wrote:

Thanks Spider for the advice.

Yeah there are a multitude of ways to do things. :)

But what I didnt know, was that some whites are mixing whites. Do you know of any?

Radiant, Eternal Snow White, or even some witch hazel mixed with opaque white and basically thinned out ALOT is good for mixing white. I’d recommend Mairo Barths webinar on mixing whites. You might be able to find a torrent vid or youtube vid of the webinar. A friend watched it and siad he got some really good tips from it, well worth the cost of it.
      My choice is to use a watery white for mixing white and a thicker white for color and highlights, I just switched over to a new brand recently, Solid Ink, made by ferroni out of Miami. Good GOOD stuff! Easy to work with and some impressive colors very easy to color mix for me with this stuff. Anywho. A tip for mixing in the cap:
      take any needle (NEW!!!), open it and tear the needle grouping off and dispose, using the eye loop insrt into ink cap of ink and twirl between your fingers to spin the loop in back and forth circular motions. Very cheap and very effective mixer for mixing in the caps!

Lennart82
      Participant

Thanks again. :D

And the eyeloop thing. Already doing it. Had a shipment of bad needles, from a bad supplier. (never buy from him again) but I have a lot of mixers :D

JDawnPearls

Translation, what a wonderful thing … LOL – I use Witch Hazel at home for other things, was delighted it is being used in tattoo ink washes, etc. That stuff is amazing, can be used for MANY medical reasons ….. (Really this is the only thing I can comment on)

Spider
      Participant

Standard stuff in our booths at the shop, witch hazel, glycerin, eye droppers.
      All very handy and useful to have, which is why I never cared if my artist are actually using them (to each their own) but I make sure to stock it in the booths regardless.

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

I still need to pick up some glycerine. I use sterile ink bottles for my witch hazel. :3

Lennart82
      Participant

I’ve found Alla-Prima white, with a bit of witchhazel works wonders for me. Without it, i tends to dry out faster then my other inks. Thats Starbrite for the moment. Been wanting to try out Moms and eternal. But the price tag is not cheap in DK. :( So gotta save up for a set. And no go on import. If customs find Tattoo Ink being shipped, they get destroyed and the one who ordered it, get a grand fine….

Lennart82
      Participant

Be sure to write ATT: lelun (Which is my government initials)

Then I will get it faster.

robroy289
      Participant

@Lennart82 wrote:

So I have been having problems with applying my whites.
      And been thinking if its the ink it self. I’ve been using Kashoku Pure white. Its a bit on the thicker side. Anyone has any experience with Kashoku?
      Or any tips on applying white?

Depending on how large of an are. If you are just doing highlights i recommend using a 7rl. Liners put white in there really good or use a round shadder..

Viewing 27 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan