• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Thumdent

Hello everyone-My name is Rich. I live in NC. I’m 40 years old, but I have been drawing for as long as I can remember. All my life, people have told me I should be a tattoo artist…so…I finally bought a kit with 4 machines, colors, needles,etc. I have a friend who tattoos here in this small town, and I asked him for a few pointers. No response. Then I asked him if there was anyway I could help him out around the shop, in exchange for apprenticeship. No response. I’m now going to send him a message saying I would be willing to schedule an appt, and pay him, but spend the time asking questions, and feeling more comfortable about this career I want to blossom. Any ideas would be appreciated. Am I going about this in the right manner? I would not try to compete against this guy, we’ve been friends for years, but I feel like he feels threatened in some way…like I’m going to take his clients. Since he hasn’t responded to any of my messages, he doesn’t know that in a few months, my family & I will be moving 3200 miles away, and I just respect this dude, and want to get pointers from him. Thanks, hope you all had a great weekend, Rich

joemama

Not sure how much of a friend he is if he is blowing you off. Are you emailing him or something? Trying calling him on the phone or stopping by and talking face to face. If he still ignores you, find another shop. It isnt easy

Troub1edSou1z
      Participant

really the only thing you can do is face to face contact. you have to respect his decision either way though. unless he becomes an ass about. good luck.

Thumdent

Thanks for the replies. :) I am talking to him over his cell phone, while he’s chillin at home. He’s not being an ass, I think he was blowin’ me off because it IS a secret society, anyone who’s tried knows I’m right…you can’t just pick up all the tricks of lining & shading from a DVD or youtube..And face-to-face contact is what we’re gonna do. He told me the best thing would be for me to let him tattoo ME, and for me to ask & talk while he tats, I said ‘cool’, so I’m gonna get a killer Indian warrior on my shoulder Tues,and watch & learn. Its still gonna cost me, no way around that. I asked about an apprenticeship, and he said that normally, I could start right away, but with tax season here, he thinks the shop will be swamped, and it really wouldn’t be a good time to start, and I understand & respect that. So for now, I am what’s known as a ‘kitchen carver’…LOL.
      My power supply quit working last night- it’s just a cheap tan box w/ 2 holes, a dial & a knob..any suggestions for a GOOD power supply that will last a few years? Thanks again. Take Care-
      Rich :ugeek:

Troub1edSou1z
      Participant

eikon’s ems series are good…..or you can go a little cheaper and get the knock-off for about $150, it’s the cyclone 360. i have one and haven’t had problems with it yet.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The forum ‘So Introduce Yourself!’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan