• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      katchwreck

[attachment=0:3l9k3aji]kevin.jpg[/attachment:3l9k3aji]
      this one was mostly designed by the client… i just kinda put my own swing on it…

katchwreck

[attachment=0:1b6w0pn8]kevin2.jpg[/attachment:1b6w0pn8]

Do you work in a shop? What types of needles did you use on this one? Was it stencil or pen free handed on there? is it done? or you got more to do to it?

katchwreck

i used 3rl and a 7rl for the lines… and a 13rs shader… its basically done.. after it heals i would like to smooth out some of the shading.. and add a lil more shading to some areas.. but for the most part its done… (no shop.. im a hobbyist/ameture)

Do you ever tattoo w/ Mags?
      You can achieve really smooth gradients with larger mags – I would have used 15 mag or even like a 20+ Mag for the bulk of that piece – will go a lot faster and be a lot smoother – just a suggestion.

DarkSoul

if an ammy uses a large mag it can make a more destructive hole than a pro. use a curved 7 mag or up to an 11 double stack to grab a smooth out but until you know what ou are doing stay away from the single stack mags

By single stack – do you mean woven?

DarkSoul

@canvasyou wrote:

single stack is set up like a flat but yes I guess you could call it woven as well , I know I started off with 6 and 4 flats when I started and ended up going to 8,9 and 14 round shaders until Mags came along then I went to them and find I use different groupings for different pieces.

HaCkFiNdEr

@canvasyou wrote:

You sir should not be tattooing if you need to ask questions like these in a public forum. Go do a real apprenticeship and you wont need to ask!

You sir should not be tattooing if you need to ask questions like these in a public forum. Go do a real apprenticeship and you wont need to ask!

Too funny! HaCkFiNdEr!

Actually – What some people refer to as “single stack Mags” are what other refer to as Flats.
      In my opinion, only thing that makes a MAG a “mag” is if it is WOVEN.

“double stack” is not a MAG it is double Flat.

I appreciate you letting me know that I should not be tattooing. I hope you enjoy my Forum.
      Do you have a portfolio? or a mySpace?

: )
      Be sure to check out http://www.ArizonaTattooMagazine.com
      This forum is not supposed to be about telling scratchers to “go get an apprenticeship”
      It is about tattooing safe – and improving technique.
      Of course apprenticeship is the BEST way to go – but you can only advocate.. belittlement and degradation is typically what the insecure artists in the industry do.
      This Forum is a place to share knowledge with ANYONE who wants to learn about tattoo.
      I don’t care if a kid is tattooing his friend in the basement (because they are going to do that anyway)
      at least here they can be told – “USE PLASTIC TUBES” and “WEAR GLOVES”

We don’t pass on B.S. like “You can boil down pelikan drawing ink to make it thicker” like I have read in some “learn to tattoo books”.

We don’t offer a business plan – guaranteed to make $ in several weeks – after you buy YOUR KIT… like the magazine ads.

Feel free to critique work, but be aware how you talk about people who may or may not be apprenticing – try to be positive, and you will attract positive things in all aspects of your life.

Tattoo is Art, its not magic. There are no super special secrets. Its just technique and technical fundamentals of machine tuning. The rest is god given talent. Its Art. You will always have different levels artistic ability – and you will increase your tattoo ability 100 fold by working in a shop under a good artist, but you have to think about the fact that…ahh never mind – i am burned out on this topic…
      off my soapbox now.

2009 will see a massive increase in membership for TMTT – so pass the word to others who are interested in tattoo.
      Rememeber that 6 months ago this forum had 500+ members, when it was rebuilt and we lost all the members!
      But we are slowly getting it back together… stay tuned.

-take care all

HaCkFiNdEr

Too funny! HaCkFiNdEr!

Actually – What some people refer to as “single stack Mags” are what other refer to as Flats.
      In my opinion, only thing that makes a MAG a “mag” is if it is WOVEN.

“double stack” is not a MAG it is double Flat.

I appreciate you letting me know that I should not be tattooing. I hope you enjoy my Forum.
      Do you have a portfolio? or a mySpace?

: )
      Be sure to check out http://www.ArizonaTattooMagazine.com
      This forum is not supposed to be about telling scratchers to “go get an apprenticeship”
      It is about tattooing safe – and improving technique.
      Of course apprenticeship is the BEST way to go – but you can only advocate.. belittlement and degradation is typically what the insecure artists in the industry do.
      This Forum is a place to share knowledge with ANYONE who wants to learn about tattoo.
      I don’t care if a kid is tattooing his friend in the basement (because they are going to do that anyway)
      at least here they can be told – “USE PLASTIC TUBES” and “WEAR GLOVES”

We don’t pass on B.S. like “You can boil down pelikan drawing ink to make it thicker” like I have read in some “learn to tattoo books”.

We don’t offer a business plan – guaranteed to make $ in several weeks – after you buy YOUR KIT… like the magazine ads.

Feel free to critique work, but be aware how you talk about people who may or may not be apprenticing – try to be positive, and you will attract positive things in all aspects of your life.

Tattoo is Art, its not magic. There are no super special secrets. Its just technique and technical fundamentals of machine tuning. The rest is god given talent. Its Art. You will always have different levels artistic ability – and you will increase your tattoo ability 100 fold by working in a shop under a good artist, but you have to think about the fact that…ahh never mind – i am burned out on this topic…
      off my soapbox now.

2009 will see a massive increase in membership for TMTT – so pass the word to others who are interested in tattoo.
      Rememeber that 6 months ago this forum had 500+ members, when it was rebuilt and we lost all the members!
      But we are slowly getting it back together… stay tuned.

-take care all[/quote]

OK, so Im man enough to admit that I jumped the gun and gave you crap befor reading more of your posts. I appologize if I came off like a tool….thats just how I am at times. I was just being sarcastic. I came across this forum and just figured it was a breading ground for scratchers. I do applaude your site in its efforts to help fellow artists out, but on the other hand it is a open public forum and you really dont know who your giving advice to.

True – which is why you should be cautious – in person or online. Too many tattoo artists talk shit about each other these days – and it really just boils down to insecurity, or greed.

I have always been the type of person to try to meet all the artists in my area, and talk to them like humans – and not judge their work.
      There are a lot of artists I am better than – and there are a lot that are better than I am.
      That is life. People are just at different levels of skill – different points in their lives, and some people will simply never be a professional tattoo artist.

Most pros will tell you they started out on their friends, and they don’t regret it. Anyone who tells you they walked into a tattoo studio and got an apprenticeship that day – is full of shit.

Anyway – just want to point out that caution is maturity, and its not always about being the one with the answers, or the skills – as much as it is about figuring out what level you are at personally – and trying to reach the next level – while pulling others up a level with you along the way…and hope in return that those who are above you will pull you up too.

We are all artists here. Personally – I would tattoo for free – and the most fun tattoos I have done I have charged very little – or done them for free. Tribal, dragons, hearts, and flash is how tattoo shops stay in business – but its not until you get a good client that you get to do some fun art.

Just try to keep the forum positive, but by all means feel free to bust people out.. its entertaining at best. Just remember everyone has to start somewhere – and usually you have to put up with some hazing if you are trying to make it in the tattoo world.. but you will be surprised how many awesome pros out there are open to sharing knowledge to improve the industry as a whole.

inkster

@HaCkFiNdEr! wrote:

@canvasyou wrote:

you sir should not be in here. we would all like an apprenticeship but its just not that straight forward. I say keep it clean and as safe as possible. Do you work from a shop and do you have an apprenticeship? do you even tattoo or do you just give your opinion on posts to piss people off. I come here to get away from comments like that.

FrancoLewis

The selected attachment does not exist anymore.

I clicked the link and that’s what it showed me.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan