• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      motleystan

when tattooing some 4 over an hour should i change the needle?????? 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Spider
      Participant

@motleystan wrote:

when tattooing some 4 over an hour should i change the needle?????? 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Are you using the same needle? I mean you should be using different needles for different things basically. And unless you are beating the ink cap bottom a needle should be fine for one sitting. But if you are only using one single needle then you seriously need to upgrade.

Lennart82
      Participant

@Spider wrote:

@motleystan wrote:

Are you using the same needle? I mean you should be using different needles for different things basically. And unless you are beating the ink cap bottom a needle should be fine for one sitting. But if you are only using one single needle then you seriously need to upgrade.

+1

Yeah about the changing of needles. IMHO I think the needles as a leadpencil. It gets dull by the hour. (And thats why I honestly dont know why, some blokes reuse the needles) You need a sharp pencil/needle, if you plan on making any good art.

And a needle will get blunded. It also depends on what type of skin you tattoo. I have tried tattooing a woman whit very hard skin, and I could tell, I needed to change the needle. So I changed it 3 times, over an hour.
      Another one, took 3 hours, and used only 1 set of needles (Liner, shader and mag)

And another tip… Hitting the bottom of the ink cap……? Dont do that…. really… stop doing that…. :mrgreen:

Spider
      Participant

Honestly, unless ur using very very very cheap needles then you shouldn’t have to change you needle out at all, even on long sessions. From my experience when you are having issues with the needle not going into the skin it comes down to operator error. Meaning that you are not stretching the skin enough. The only times in the 11 years I been at this that I have had to change my needle is when I accidentally hit the bottom or side of my ink caps or the few times when I have dropped my machine off my table. yeah it happens…If u are using any kind of “jelly” vasoline, or whatever and it makes the skin somewhat slick, use your wipe rag to “grip” the skin, use your other hand to “pull” the skin, spread your fingers in the area that you are working. This is at times unpleasant for the person getting inked, feels like ur trying to pull their skin apart at times. But it HAS to be done. The most common and the biggest mistake I see in beginners and apprentices is not enough stretching. They fiddle with the machine, the power supply, the tube, the throw, the rubber bands, trying all along to figure out why the ink just isn’t going in, blame it on the ink, the machine, the needle, the skin of the person they are working on, the lighting, the power supply, when all along the simply are not stretching the skin enough. Simply put, unless that needle head is round or barbed it’s sharp, the penetration of the skin is not enough to dull a needle to ineffective use even after a straight 8 hours inking. Want proof because you’ve “seen” the difference, take your liner, use it on you, practice skin, a customer, whatever then at the end do not dispose of it. spread a piece of notebook paper over a bowl or something, take your machine and carefully run you a few lines (make sure the paper is taunt), then take that paper and hold it up to the light, you’ll see the perforated lines you made, you SHOULD see the perforated lines you made. yep you’ll tear the paper more than once figuring this out, but essentially it might help to put the thought into your head that taunt skin = better line work. Essentially what you are doing buy replacing needles after an hour, 2 hours, whatever is buying new tires for your car cause you drove 100 miles on them and now some of the tread is worn.
      Old school peeps reused needles not just because they had to, but also because they could.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Yes it is quite necessary for the change of the needle if we are continuing tattooing an person.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan