• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Lennart82
      Participant

I need your advice on this piece. Its a snake busting out of a forearm. Now the snake isn’t shaded or anything, and its not the snake that’s the issue here. Its the torn skin around it. Now I have never made anything like a skin rip before, so any pointers on it is welcomed.
      I think I have the tattooing down, but its the design of it I’m worried about.
      The client likes it, but I’m in doubt. So what’s wrong with it? And what could be done, to improve it?

http://i43.tinypic.com/w8qnmt.jpg

Now the size of it, cannot be bigger then what is on at this moment, there isn’t enough room, even though he has a massive forearm.

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

my thing about it is your skin rip looks too much like ripping paper. you want it to look a little more fleshy.

here are a few good examples I had found
      http://www.bitrebels.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Best-Horrifically-Cool-3D-Tattoos-13.jpg

http://www.bitrebels.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Best-Horrifically-Cool-3D-Tattoos-10.jpg

as well as one of my own
      https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/944707_473820716026704_1627141049_n.jpg

hope this helps :3

Infamous
      Participant

I completely agree, the problem with it is that it looks like it is ripping through paper, not skin.

These tears look to jagged and some of them are folded back even. A good way to do ripped skin is to think about that old shirt you have in your closet that you can’t bear to throw away, you know the one with the holes all over it from years of abuse. Copy that style of tear, its smoother, yes there are some jagged bits but a skin tear would look a lot more like cloth ripping than paper.

Hope that helps, also I hope you actually have the old shirt in the closet I used for an example lol, if not I’m sure you have an old shirt that you could cut little slits in with a pair of scissors and rip from there, it will create a unique and realistic tear you can copy ;)

Lennart82
      Participant

Your right guys, it looks more like paper then skin.
      Hmmm, but again, never did a torn skin piece before.

But bad news, I had the guy schedualed for this evening. But now he had to cancelled on the account that he was on blood thinning medicin.

So we reschedualed a month in the future…. Damn, was looking forwards for this piece…. :cry:

Infamous
      Participant

that blows, but on the bright side, maybe you’ll get a chance to do some more torn skin in-between now and then. And, there’s always more time to practice getting that torn skin look down this way.

Lennart82
      Participant

Amen to that. Never stop learning :ugeek:

garenlevon

That was nice tattoo but one advice I would like to share. If give some shade to your tattoo and fill colour in your tattoo. Then this tattoo will become awesome.

Lennart82
      Participant

Thanks dude. :D

And yes, this drawing isent exactly done yet. Just did it this way for easy stenciling. (Still doing it by hand)

xDreamerx
      Participant

sorry I just wanted to comment that I love torn or twisted flesh tattoo’s! I can do this style in my sleep. love it. If i reply it would be too long of a post to read about the techniques i use to accomplish the feel.

i need to upload more work to my gallery but ugh…busy. I’m my own webmaster and yet I never have enough time to do my own stuff lol

Lennart82
      Participant

Please do, if you got any secret hints and trick, by all means, let me know.

I have to go over the thing again. The guy, well, he never showed up for his finishing setting. And just heard rumours that he lost his, job, his wife split, and his dog just lost 7 puppies.
      So I plan on giving him it for free. Cant have all bad things going on in life, ;)

So any tricks, Be sure to give em up :D

SparkEater72

I know it’s been awhile since this was posted.

It may help to bear in mind that skin is elastic. When sliced it moves away from the wound causing wrinkles around the wound.

Torn skin, ripped, will have a rough appearance as discussed, but not like paper, or an old T-shirt (no offense). Skin is not cloth but if you’re not squeamish there are plenty of images on the www and vids on youtube or LiveLeak showing severe trauma, lacerations and even ‘amputations’ to the human body. All of which you can use as reference for this (these, as I’m sure you’ll see more) type of piece.

Did you ever get the chance to do the tattoo?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan