• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      matergrl

i just spent the last 6 months apprentising at a shop i am moveing to a small town (population 500 really small)outside the city and have plans to get a room in my house approved for tattooing the previous oweners had a solon in the room so the hard part is done for me any suggestions or tips before i call the health bord out to inspect it and what rates should i charge i was thinking 20 an hour but i like by piece priceing better with a 50 minium
      o ya im in canada!!!

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

Welcome. I had a short apprenticeship as well but I was fired for being sick haha lame

I am also in Canada. I’m in Ontario. I charge 20/hr, with a 30$ minimum. If people ask for a “Flat Rate” price–which is by the piece–simply get their design and size it. Then see how many fists you can fit in it. Each fist is 1 hour. So a two fist piece would be 70$: 20/hr*2+30=70

As far as the health unit youll need to make sure EVERYTHING you touch with gloves is covered. Every rinse bottle, your work station, etc. IF it can be cross contaminated with blood from your gloves it needs to be covered, and oyur cover changed after each tat. I’d aquire some CaviCide. That’s what we used at the shop, and what I use here. It is 110% acceptable for the health unit, and kills HIV, Tubuculosis, Viruses, Fungi, and Bacteria in 30s. Youll need a garbage bin with a lid. Preferably stainless steel as it isnt porous so its easy to clean. You cannot have any carpet, and your chair cannot be frabric covered. Youll want a leather, or vinyl adjustable stool/chair. Plastic will become uncomfortable very quickly. I would suggest using everything disposable. An autoclave is costly as you need to do spore tests every two weeks which is 70$ a month easy.

Youll need a sharpz container. Medical grade. Also after you shave your client youll need to put those in your sharpz as well as your disposable needles. do not reuse needles obviously. Anything that doesnt have a factory label should be labeled. Ink bottles, wash bottles, etc. This is just so the health unit knows you wont accidentally use the wrong product.

As far as soap goes I prefer PurKlenz from http://www.solabs.ca
      the entire Pur line was created by a Canadian tattoo artist, and will not react together.
      PurKlenz straight for hand washing, PurKlenz diluted with water–1p PK, 10p Distilled Water–for your wash bottle. Be careful witht he pump as it is very sensitive. I just tap it with the base of my hand.
      PurTect for your ointment during your tattoo. It can also be used as aftercare, and they recently released a small bottle that can be sold to clients for aftercare.
      PurSan is an after tattoo antimicrobial soap with moisturizers. I recommend my clients use it as–again–it will not react with PurTect if its used for aftercare, nor will it react with the PurKlenz I used on the tattoo during the process.
      i use purklenz because as stated before it wont react with the rest of the ointments/soaps, but it was also specifically made to be used on tattoos. Green Soap was originally made for cleaning floors, and was changed slightly because artists kept using it on their tattoos. The only thing I use Green Soap for is to clean my toilets, and ot clean my floors. Sinks, counters, cubbords, door frames, door handles, etc are all cleaned with CaviCide biweekly. MAchines, sharpies, scissors, work station, arm rests, beds are all cleaned after each use. Do not forget your chair, and the bottom of oyur chair. The bottoms can harbour a lot of dust, viruses, and bacterium. This can cause a Staph infection.

When it comes you hand sanitizer you should get AT LEAST 69%. Life brand is accepted by the health unit. I use MediSan which is what is used in doctors offices, and is 70%. A really good hand soap, and hand sanitizer will need to be supplied in your bathroom for clients.

Your sharpz container must be within 6ft of you, and at eye level. So sit at your normal height while tattooing, and set your sharps at that level.

also be sure to put saran wrap over your work station, and anything you might touch during the tattoo process. This included the buttons on your power supply, and the on/off switch of any lamps you may touch. do NOT use an ink cup holder as they should be autoclaved after each use. I use a bit of vaseline on my work station and use it as glue to stick my ink cups to the saran wrap. DO NOT USE THE VASELINE ON THE TATTOO. This is just so you dont need to waste your precious PurTect on your ink cups.

animals are also a no no if you have pets the health unit rep will see it and instantly fail you. you can easily just hide any pet items, and ship them off for the day of the visit though. They noramlly onyl come once a year, and normally give you n otice. Remember they cannot touch ANYTHING in the shop. Only ou can open drawers and such FOR THEM. Do not allow them to touch anything in your sterile environment.

dont forget to type up some consent forms, and aftecare sheets. the health unit will want to see those as well, and may want a copy of each.

thats all i can think of right now. if you have any questions you can either post them here or send me a PM :)
      GL bro

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘So Introduce Yourself!’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan